NOTTI 2 Mystery Uber Sencha

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: NOTTI 2 Mystery Uber Sencha

Postby Chip » Mar 26th, '13, 13:25

BREWING!

This is also located for ease of finding as the 3rd post in this topic.

Kuritawase. This is my personal pick for best asamushi for 2012 harvest! The leaves are not pretty long, perfect needles, but do not judge this book by its cover!!!

This can be brewed rich with a lot of leaf, but I seemed to like a little over the benchmark 1:1 ratio, 1 gram per 1 ounce (30 ml) water. I liked about 1.2 or so grams per 30ml. You have enough to play around how rich you like it.

168-170* (76* C) in a NON preheated kyusu. 90 seconds for the first steep. If you preheat, I would lower the temp for brewing to around 160* and remember to smell the dry warming leaves in the kyusu.

Right after you pour the first steep, stand with your nose a foot or so above the open kyusu and poured brew and smell. I love how this tea is very aromatic and will fill the air with incredible veggie aroma!!! Try closing your eyes which will heighten your sense of smell.

This selection has a lot of nuances that I think will continue to surprise you each time you brew. Sometimes I pick up hints of cinnamon, sometimes fleeting floral ... BUT veggie is usually quite up front.

I brew 5 steeps increasing temp a little each time.

2nd 20-30 seconds

3rd 60 seconds

and so on ...

Asanoka. This is not an ultra deep steamed selection. So do not expect "swamp water fukamushi." The brew is lighter and mellow sweet compared to most fuka with interesting nuances as well.

Again I go a little over 1:1, around 1.1 or 1.2:1.

I liked this brewed a little cooler, 160-165* (71-74* C) in a non preheated kyusu.

Again I go 5 steeps.

OK, I will be anxious to hear your impressions.

Happy brewing!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Running for Tea » Mar 27th, '13, 08:12

I took my first shot at brewing the Kuritawase yesterday. Very aromatic :shock: The vegetal tones are the most apparent, but I can sense that this is a tea that will take some time to experience all of it's depth.

The first and second infusions were wonderful, but I felt my third and fourth were lacking. I plan to try slightly raising my resteep temps next time.

I went mostly by Chip's recommendations,
1.2:1
preheat
160* 90s
165* 20s
175* 60s
190* 120s

Overall, excellent! I look forward to continued brewing :mrgreen:
Running for Tea

Postby Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 10:52

Awesome!

Try not preheating and hotter.

You can also go even higher ratio if you are brave enough! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Running for Tea » Mar 27th, '13, 13:43

I tried not preheating today, but I think I prefer the preheat. Upped the temp on my 4th steep to 200* and that did the trick! I'll probably up the 3rd steep temp to ~185*, along with experimenting with a little more leaf (though I do enjoy the 1.2:1) over the next several days.

It will probably be a few days until I even think about trying out the Asanoka... I am a major fan of a nice, vegetal asamushi :mrgreen:
Running for Tea

Postby rhondabee » Apr 1st, '13, 16:34

I am brewing the Asanoka right now. I used a 4 oz preheated banko pot & used roughly 4-5 grams of tea. Wow, I loved the scent of the dry leaves in the preheated pot. It smelled so savory and appetizing - it reminded me of something fried. I kept smelling it and almost didn't want to pour the water. The first steep was rich and smooth tasting. I had cooled the water, but didn't take the temp. Second steep used hotter water, and it was pretty bold tasting and slightly bitter. Third steep is about the same, but with a slight sweetness. Overall I like this sencha, especially the scent. Next time I might try to use a little bit more water.
rhondabee

Postby Matthifi » Apr 3rd, '13, 05:50

Hi to all!

I just received my teas yesterday!

My first brew is Kuritawase and I must say I am loving it! :D

5g to 120ml in preheated kyusu and Chips recommendations for everything else. But I do use higher temperatures on the last brews...

First brew was very vegetable and complex with floral nuances buttercup and (sakura, perhaps?) and a fantastic rich mouth feel and a slight retronasal ocean taste, that gets more and more intense in the next two brews, I cant stop thinking of Uni (sea urchin) sushi :o

I am loving it!! Just the kind of super complex tea I most enjoy!!

Thank you again, Chip!!

BTW: Were is this cultivated??
Matthifi

Postby Chip » Apr 3rd, '13, 11:31

Both of these are from Kagoshima.

I am glad to see people enjoying both of them. Kuritawase is da bombe!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Devoted135 » Apr 4th, '13, 09:06

I've been able to enjoy the Kuritawase a few times now, and I must say that it's been blowing my mind! Mind you, aside from a couple samples that I likely botched the brewing, I've only had one organic sencha, so I don't really have anything to compare to.

That caveat in place, I've been using Chip's brewing suggestions, and as near to 4g/90mL as I can get without a scale...

First steep really packs a punch! Vegetal and bright, with a lingering umami flavor that stays with me for hours. Second steep is usually smoother and vegetal with sweeter flavors in subsequent brews. It never reads "floral" to me and I can definitely get some cinnamon but other than that I'm a bit stymied as to how to describe it. All I know is that I like it. :D
Devoted135

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions