Apr 2nd, '13, 22:24

Re: Yixing repair attempt

by futurebird » Apr 2nd, '13, 22:24

oh I just want to link to tthis:

http://www.droog.com/store/accessories/ ... epair-kit/

It's pretty much useless since it's not food safe, and it's bumpy and ugly looking (well maybe not from a distance...)-- though if I really but supplies and attempt this I bet it will look just as bad... at first at least. :lol:

The resin used is poison, so the gold is a necessity-- to seal it in... there are some very good youtube videos that show the whole process.

Apr 2nd, '13, 22:34

by AdamMY » Apr 2nd, '13, 22:34

my comments were directed towards the item posted in the link. That item was not an epoxy but rather a silver colored clay that would need to be fired to a point that it became "stable". It said it was low fired to 1200F degrees to be hardened. The Epoxy's do not need to get that hot, at lest not to my understanding. I think they behave much more like a super glue than a clay.

Apr 3rd, '13, 00:55

by futurebird » Apr 3rd, '13, 00:55

AdamMY wrote:my comments were directed towards the item posted in the link. That item was not an epoxy but rather a silver colored clay that would need to be fired to a point that it became "stable". It said it was low fired to 1200F degrees to be hardened. The Epoxy's do not need to get that hot, at lest not to my understanding. I think they behave much more like a super glue than a clay.

Oh... Adam I was assuming one would need to use epoxy *first* then the silver over it to fill the gaps... I know that epoxy isn't fired lol.

I don't think that clay would bind a pot back together. But I could be wrong.

Apr 3rd, '13, 01:17

by futurebird » Apr 3rd, '13, 01:17

I think I've found somthing worth trying out... http://www.mejiro-japan.com/product/kin ... c_global=1

It's not clear how much it would be with shipping... Has anyone tried this kit?

Apr 3rd, '13, 02:27

by theredbaron » Apr 3rd, '13, 02:27

futurebird wrote:I think I've found somthing worth trying out... http://www.mejiro-japan.com/product/kin ... c_global=1

It's not clear how much it would be with shipping... Has anyone tried this kit?

WOW!

That is a great find! I might be trying this - i have a few cups that have broken a few years ago, and i could not get myself to throw the pieces away.
And i have several chipped cups that could be mended...

Apr 3rd, '13, 12:41

by edkrueger » Apr 3rd, '13, 12:41

futurebird wrote: The resin used is poison, so the gold is a necessity-- to seal it in... there are some very good youtube videos that show the whole process.
That is not true. Gold is neither necessary nor sufficient. Polymerization of the sap has nothing to do with gold.

Apr 3rd, '13, 12:58

by futurebird » Apr 3rd, '13, 12:58

edkrueger wrote:
futurebird wrote: The resin used is poison, so the gold is a necessity-- to seal it in... there are some very good youtube videos that show the whole process.
That is not true. Gold is neither necessary nor sufficient. Polymerization of the sap has nothing to do with gold.
Thanks. I misinterpreted what google translate was telling me. Really wish my husband was home.

Apr 3rd, '13, 18:41

by Exempt » Apr 3rd, '13, 18:41

Well, I just preformed the operation. I believe I used to much j-b weld and when I tried to get it off of the outside it smeared so I just left the little lines of it on the inside. At this point I don't care about looks I just want the pot to work. I set it in a safe place to dry and will post pictures tomorrow when I feel comfortable moving it around

Apr 3rd, '13, 19:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '13, 19:00

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ld#p163543

The JB Weld has held to this day ... pretty amazing given it was handles. I have used the creamy colored Kyusu maybe 500 steeps since this repair! I was in a rush and just used a different JB Weld, but since it was not going to contact the water/tea ... I figured what did I have to lose?!?
Chip wrote:I have a problem, I love Kyusu-s, and I break Kyusu-s, well, cats break Kyusu-s!

I repair Kyusu-s that cats break! First JB-Weld, then reinforcing natural hemp twine lashing ...

And now again using ... til a cat breaks them again! Or til just gives out ... whichever comes first.

Apr 3rd, '13, 19:28

by tingjunkie » Apr 3rd, '13, 19:28

Love the hemp wrap!

Apr 3rd, '13, 20:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 3rd, '13, 20:09

tingjunkie wrote:Love the hemp wrap!
Yeah, and if the "weld" ever fails, I can smoke the hemp for some solace. :mrgreen:

The hemp was mostly cosmetic as the mend was not too purty. But then I felt it also added a degree of added strength and durability? Maybe ...

Apr 4th, '13, 21:39

by Exempt » Apr 4th, '13, 21:39

How did you guys remove the smell of the j-b weld? I've boiled the pot for 15 minutes and done a couple sessions but if tea or water sits in the pot for more than, say, 30 minutes it starts tasting weird.

Apr 4th, '13, 22:37

by tingjunkie » Apr 4th, '13, 22:37

Exempt wrote:I believe I used to much j-b weld and when I tried to get it off of the outside it smeared so I just left the little lines of it on the inside.
I think you just answered your own question Exempt. :? Just for comparison, the photo below is what the inside seam of a repaired pot I did looked like when I was done wiping the excess epoxy away. For future reference, I have good luck removing the excess epoxy using LOTS of damp (not wet) Q-Tips. The trick is to wipe small sections off at a time in a rolling/swiping motion, then chuck the Tip and grab a new one.

Just giving it some time to air out should help. Maybe let the pot sit overnight with tea in it. It should get better.

Apr 9th, '13, 13:19

by Tead Off » Apr 9th, '13, 13:19

I'm intrigued by the Kintsugi repair kit. I've thought several times about ordering one. However, there are a couple of things that bother me. It's true that lacquer can be a durable material but all the lacquerware that I own (many things), give off an unpleasant smell when heated. Even when I wash lacquerware in the sink using hot water, I can smell it.

In light of this, I would think twice about using it on a teapot where the heat of the water could activate its odor. This could be minimized if the repair were quite small or on a handle, let's say. On a tea cup, I would also be hesitant if the repair sat in the midst of the water.

Maybe I am being overly cautious but lacquer is not a neutral substance. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had or done kintsugi repair to dispel my fears.

It's a shame JB Weld doesn't make a gold colored repair kit. This product is mega-strong with ceramics. I've repaired vases that are water-tight, and a handle of a teapot that gets regular use that many glues would not hold as JB Weld has. Great product. Thank you Tingjunkie!

Apr 9th, '13, 17:39

by tingjunkie » Apr 9th, '13, 17:39

Urushi lacquer makes me nervous because it's like pure poison ivy oil in its liquid form. Having poison ivy in the past was an extremely not fun experience.

I don't see why you couldn't order gold powder and dust it right over the top of the JB Weld while it's still wet. Worth a try at least.

+ Post Reply