Oct 17th, '10, 23:15

Tea Drunk (what up with that)

by tortoise » Oct 17th, '10, 23:15

I'm sure all of us have been "tea drunk" at least once, right? For me, it doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I confess it is a very pleasing experience. :mrgreen: I'm not even sure I can create the experience at will because it's happened across a spectrum of leaf quality and volume of tea drunk. I get a heady feeling and slur my speech a little. My communication style becomes a little more...enthusiastic. It's not the same thing as getting a little caffeine buzz, though they can be related.

What do you think are the factors that contribute to this minor euphoria extracted from camellia sinensis? Related stories would be great too.

Oct 18th, '10, 12:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tea Drunk (what up with that)

by bsteele » Oct 18th, '10, 12:46

I bet it has something to do with that shot of brandy I add to my tea...

I've never been, but I think I'm going to try today :)

Oct 18th, '10, 13:46

by rabbit » Oct 18th, '10, 13:46

I've experienced this too... it's hard to classify, but it most surely isn't just a caffeine high, I haven't slurred my speech, but it has caused me to be a little silly and even slightly euphoric... I probably couldn't walk a straight line if asked too... and I tend to see good in everything when I get like this... it's a very positive experience.

Oct 18th, '10, 16:46

by Marco » Oct 18th, '10, 16:46

Reading about the symptoms - seems there are some ... ähhhh .... substances in your tea ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oct 18th, '10, 16:52

by tortoise » Oct 18th, '10, 16:52

Marco wrote:Reading about the symptoms - seems there are some ... ähhhh .... substances in your tea ;)
Well, then there's the "Long Island Iced Tea" buzz, but that's a bit different.
:D

Oct 18th, '10, 17:01

by rabbit » Oct 18th, '10, 17:01

tortoise wrote:
Marco wrote:Reading about the symptoms - seems there are some ... ähhhh .... substances in your tea ;)
Well, then there's the "Long Island Iced Tea" buzz, but that's a bit different.
:D
And atomic iced tea... and straight up hard iced tea :)

Oct 19th, '10, 04:26

by David R. » Oct 19th, '10, 04:26

Once I was treating myself to a very nice dong ding at work. I rinsed the leaves and poured water for the first brew and... the phone rang. I got stuck for maybe 10 minutes and didn't want to waste the tea afterwards.

My colleagues have been afraid of me ever since ! :mrgreen:

Apr 4th, '13, 18:01

by 5am » Apr 4th, '13, 18:01

It generally has to do with the quality and quantity of the tea consumed. I tend to get it from teas with lower caffeine contents, as too much caffeine disrupts the drunk.
It's caused by a combination of minerals and iron and other compounds in the tea that change your blood flow. Caffeine definitely contributes but I would guess that only somewhat.
The real enjoyment of a tea drunk is the wonderful mood it puts you in. Going for a walk on a nice tea drunk really makes the sun brighter and the weather more inviting. I never really felt impaired to balance but I do feel a little sluggish and "drunk" feeling.

Apr 4th, '13, 20:01

by edkrueger » Apr 4th, '13, 20:01

Attachments
9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg
9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 1892 times

Apr 5th, '13, 02:25

by victoria3 » Apr 5th, '13, 02:25

Hi edkrueger & teachat'rs,
What's with the anti-resurrection of old threads on teachat? I'd think if a thread is topical it has no age limit in the digital age. I am curious what tea is being consumed here.....I seem to remember a rule somewhere, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

Apr 5th, '13, 07:49

by AdamMY » Apr 5th, '13, 07:49

victoria3 wrote:Hi edkrueger & teachat'rs,
What's with the anti-resurrection of old threads on teachat? I'd think if a thread is topical it has no age limit in the digital age. I am curious what tea is being consumed here.....I seem to remember a rule somewhere, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it.
In my understanding it is to foster new discussion.

Also, like you said this is the Internet. Look back at all the posters before the resurrection, and ask yourself how many of them you have seen posting lately? I've been around long enough I knew all of them when they were active, and a few of them do stop by from time to time. But quite often people quote previous posts in the threads or reference previous points in the threads, and when everyone earlier in the thread no longer stops by they can not defend/ answer for themselves, making it kind of one sided.

Apr 5th, '13, 08:38

by Devoted135 » Apr 5th, '13, 08:38

victoria3 wrote:Hi edkrueger & teachat'rs,
I've been wondering the same thing. Certainly, I agree with Adam's point that it's bad form to resurrect a thread* purely for the purpose of disagreeing with someone who is no longer active. However, I wonder why simply continuing an interesting discussion is frowned upon? Especially given that I've seen posters chided (and sometimes ridiculed) for starting a new thread instead of using the search function. These two guidelines seem at odds with each other.

*I prefer the term threadomancy, myself.

Apr 5th, '13, 09:44

by edkrueger » Apr 5th, '13, 09:44

I just thought it was a good time to post that picture.
Last edited by edkrueger on Apr 5th, '13, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 5th, '13, 09:46

by Chip » Apr 5th, '13, 09:46

There is no universal solution/answer to this as sometimes resurrecting may not be a bad idea ... though usually it is best to start a new topic (and possibly link the old topic) ...

It would however likely be best to ignore versers comment negatively, especially when a new member does it. If a new member persists in the activity, they will surely receive an "encouraging" PM from a certain moderator. :mrgreen:

Apr 5th, '13, 10:39

by 5am » Apr 5th, '13, 10:39

I was wondering about my own "tea drunk" experiences. They are mild but a very real thing for me. They are also kind of mythical. So I wanted to see if anyone had the same experience. (I used the search function)

What's the point on having multiple threads on a tea drunk. Sure, it's annoying to read down and take up a discussion that has been on going but tea drunk is not the most important talking point about tea. I felt my idea added to the discussion.

+ Post Reply