Mixing Sencha+Kamairicha in Tokoname Teapot

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 6th, '13, 20:08

Mixing Sencha+Kamairicha in Tokoname Teapot

by infinite333 » Apr 6th, '13, 20:08

Hi,

I just received an order of Kamairicha and I was wondering if I should avoid making it in the tokoname teapot that I use to brew sencha? I only have one tokoname teapot and a glazed ceramic teapot that is too large for this. I don't want the teapot to impart any strange flavor on sencha in the future. I have a metal basket filter that I can use to brew it in a mug. I'm excited to try this tea as I haven't had this style before.

Thanks,
J

Apr 6th, '13, 20:19

Re: Mixing Sencha+Kamairicha in Tokoname Teapot

by Poohblah » Apr 6th, '13, 20:19

In my opinion you should be safe brewing Kama-iri cha in a seasoned Tokoname pot.

However, as it's rather similar in some ways to Chinese green tea, you can also try brewing it as you would Chinese greens.

Apr 15th, '13, 00:47

by Tead Off » Apr 15th, '13, 00:47

Poohblah wrote:In my opinion you should be safe brewing Kama-iri cha in a seasoned Tokoname pot.

However, as it's rather similar in some ways to Chinese green tea, you can also try brewing it as you would Chinese greens.
What Chinese greens do you find Kamairicha similar to?

Apr 15th, '13, 15:15

by Poohblah » Apr 15th, '13, 15:15

Tead Off wrote:
Poohblah wrote:In my opinion you should be safe brewing Kama-iri cha in a seasoned Tokoname pot.

Similar as in more whole leaves, which are better to use in a gaiwan than the broken leaves of most sencha.

Apr 16th, '13, 08:30

by Tead Off » Apr 16th, '13, 08:30

Poohblah wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Similar as in more whole leaves, which are better to use in a gaiwan than the broken leaves of most sencha.
Perhaps you mean easier to use in a gaiwan as in not getting a lot of bits and pieces in your cup? I think sencha can be successfully made in a gaiwan. Perhaps a little more care has to be made in the pouring off of the brewed liquid. Personally, I never use a gaiwan to brew sencha as I get very good results in teapots. But, I find no similarity of Kamairicha with any Chinese greens. There may be some that I don't know about, though.

+ Post Reply