Finding Info on Dayi Teas

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 3rd, '13, 03:13

Finding Info on Dayi Teas

by tst » Apr 3rd, '13, 03:13

Quick question, I've been looking for some information on specific offerings from Dayi and am having trouble finding anything in depth.

If anyone has any knowledge of where I could find specific information on Dayi offerings, I'd appreciate it. For example, the 2011 Organic Mt. Bada cake, or the 2010 Yue Chen Yue Xiang, or 2010 Daughter Tea, or 2010 Dragon Pole ripe.

I know Dayi offers some teas every year, while others are only limited releases. Where can I find specific information on their teas (such as grades of leaf or any other specifics)? Is this information even available?

Thanks in advance ... much appreciated.

Apr 3rd, '13, 04:29

Re: Finding Info on Dayi Teas

by MarshalN » Apr 3rd, '13, 04:29

For the pretty new ones, I'm not sure. For some older stuff there's a yearbook of sorts, but afaik it's not complete.

The only good source of up-to-date info on these things would be from the web, especially Chinese forums, but I'm guessing that's not a good source for you.

Apr 3rd, '13, 06:39

by mr mopu » Apr 3rd, '13, 06:39

Here is a link to a 2009 tea that may be what you are looking for . I know a couple of sellers in china that will find what you are looking for most of the time. try this link. It is from a great seller authentic teas and very fast shipping.http://www.ebay.com/itm/320881948244?va ... 1439.l2649 8)

Apr 3rd, '13, 06:43

by mr mopu » Apr 3rd, '13, 06:43

Almost forgot, here is a link to my tea cupboard. I have most listed where I obtained them from . Message me if you need any more info.http://steepster.com/mrmopar/cupboard

Apr 3rd, '13, 10:08

by tst » Apr 3rd, '13, 10:08

Thank you very much for all of the help.

Chinese forums might still be helpful, as I could attempt to translate them with Chrome or using Google translate, which even though might not be completely accurate, would still be better than nothing :)

Thanks again for the links ... I'll definitely look into them.

Apr 3rd, '13, 13:18

by ChengduCha » Apr 3rd, '13, 13:18

As MarshalN mentioned, they have a book every year (yunnan sourcing sells them I think), as they release large amounts of cakes every year, although I have no idea what exactly they write in there about each cake and taobao vendors might list some informations too if you know the exact name of the cake in simplified chinese characters.

Dayi probably doesn't want to reveal too much about their blends though.

Apr 11th, '13, 16:30

by MEversbergII » Apr 11th, '13, 16:30

Speaking of Dayi, where exactly do they fall on the sliding scale of quality (qualitea? :D Ok I'll stop)? My knowlege of branding could use improvement. Is there a big page that'll give me the skinny on the who's who in the tea world? So far I've really only stuck to one vendor.

M.

Apr 11th, '13, 17:35

by tenuki » Apr 11th, '13, 17:35

MEversbergII wrote:Speaking of Dayi, where exactly do they fall on the sliding scale of quality (qualitea? :D Ok I'll stop)? My knowlege of branding could use improvement. Is there a big page that'll give me the skinny on the who's who in the tea world? So far I've really only stuck to one vendor.

M.
Honda of the puer world.

Apr 12th, '13, 12:45

by JakubT » Apr 12th, '13, 12:45

MEversbergII wrote:Speaking of Dayi, where exactly do they fall on the sliding scale of quality (qualitea? :D Ok I'll stop)? My knowlege of branding could use improvement. Is there a big page that'll give me the skinny on the who's who in the tea world? So far I've really only stuck to one vendor.

M.
I'd say that they are one of the best of the big factories, however, many people will prefer smaller production of "tea masters" or vendors who press their own "selected" stuff.

I myself tend to like Dayi teas in general as they are thoroughly solid and well blended. Unfortunately, some of their classical recipes (7542, 8582) went to hell recently and are not worth pursuing (imo) and most of their young stuff (possibly except Spring of menghai, which is quite good and cheap), they are greatly hyped - you pay a lot for the investment value, etc., not always just for the drinking pleasure.

Similarly, their +-2000 teas are often too expensive (although generally quite good).

I.e., if you can find a reasonably priced Dayi tea, it is likely fake, but if it is not, then go for it :)

This all may not sound overly positive, but I do feel quite good about the tea that Dayi makes actually. Surely better than about, e.g., Xiaguan.

Apr 13th, '13, 08:56

by mr mopu » Apr 13th, '13, 08:56

I agree that Dayi , Haiwan do make some pretty good ones. Dayi goes to great lengths to avoid having their products "faked". It is a good idea to learn these measures to avoid buying any "fake" items. Most US vendors are pretty legit on this and I would try to purchase from them or a trusted seller on the other side. I know a couple in China if you need an informed buyer over there. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply