Is this a suitable pu?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 12th, '13, 13:18

Is this a suitable pu?

by MEversbergII » Apr 12th, '13, 13:18

Hello! I've decided that, though I am perfectly happy with loose leaf tea, I'd like to add a brick or cake to my collection. The reasons are threefold:

1) Pressed tea looks cool.
2) I have never tried a large compressed tea, and am curious
3) I'd like a physical example to show my fellow tea-fans.

To whit I am trying to go for a 2009 Dayi Old Cha Ripe Pu-erh Brick. I can't link due to forum rules (I need like 10 posts and 30 days), but it's up on Puerh shop.

Unfortunately, Pu'er shop has sold fakes in the past, and this is a 5 year old Dayi for only 21 bucks. Yay or Nay?

I'll also be investing in a pick.

BONUS QUESTIONS!

I'm also looking at the "American Hao" brand 1005 "Ripe Pu-erh Brick" - one of those pre-cut "chocolate bar" style things. They're about 8g each. My tea pot brews at 500ml - that shouldn't have any downsides should it? I typically only use 1g of loose puer (or any loose tea) to 100ml of water in such a pot. Mass aside, is this a respectable tea? The pre-measured portion is attractive for when I'm lazy. Also, it's a pretty cool looking thing.

Final Q: What about those nest shape tuo's of shupu? They're 5g each, and would make a nice match for my pot. Do those generally have a reputation for being worthwhile? They're very inexpensive.

Thanks,

M.

Apr 12th, '13, 13:39

Re: Is this a suitable pu?

by GARCH » Apr 12th, '13, 13:39

Well if it's a pre-cut chocolate bar thingy pu-erh, the rule of thumb is to stay FAR away from it :P same goes for the small mini-tuos. They're usually fannings or very low grade leaves in compressed form. I know there tend to be marketing hype that says "top grade leaves" etc but 90% of the time, it's marketing :lol:

Do you tend to like Shu over Sheng pu? Vendor wise I'm not familiar with Pu-erh shop but I do know Yunnan sourcing is a very safe bet. Likewise I'm not familiar with Shu so I cannot say anything about it.

Sheng tuo I can heartily recommend http://www.origintea.net/pu-erh-tea/raw ... 003-xg-tuo
Great vendor and it's started by a member of Teachat as well. They have 2 types of this tuo with different storage conditions so it's up to your personal preference. I do need to warn you though, you will definitely need a pick with this. Or a chainsaw.

Sheng cake wise, I've heard good things about this http://www.dragonteahouse.biz/pu-erh-te ... g-raw.html. I myself will probably be buying this cake soon :D

Apr 12th, '13, 14:39

by futurebird » Apr 12th, '13, 14:39

This is inexpensive and nice to drink ( a little strong, but good)

http://www.dragonteahouse.biz/pu-erh-te ... g-raw.html

Something similar to this was the first thing I bought when I started with puerh.

Apr 12th, '13, 16:04

by tenuki » Apr 12th, '13, 16:04

And for a good solid ripe puer in the same ballpark as above:

http://www.dragonteahouse.biz/v93-mengh ... -ripe.html

Dragonteahouse is very reliable, reasonably priced and you get what you pay for in my experience.

Throw those two in your shopping cart along with a pick and you can start your journey.

If you are set on Puershop similar e are available there

If you are set on a puershop cooked brick try this one:

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1136

Apr 12th, '13, 22:22

by MEversbergII » Apr 12th, '13, 22:22

GARCH wrote:Well if it's a pre-cut chocolate bar thingy pu-erh, the rule of thumb is to stay FAR away from it :P same goes for the small mini-tuos. They're usually fannings or very low grade leaves in compressed form. I know there tend to be marketing hype that says "top grade leaves" etc but 90% of the time, it's marketing :lol:
Bummer! Oh well, not a big deal. I -might- grab up a couple mini's to experience it first hand - worst case, I'm out a few minutes pay :D
GARCH wrote: Do you tend to like Shu over Sheng pu?
All honesty, I haven't had sheng yet. On my next big tea order from my regular supplier I was thinking about grabbing some loose, though, as I know he's pretty big on quality. I held back just so I wouldn't get a lemon somewhere and figure I wasn't meant for shengcha's.

Thanks for the links though; once I've exposed myself to sheng's loose I'll move in and try compressed versions. They age differently, so it'll be an interesting comparison.
futurebird wrote:This is inexpensive and nice to drink ( a little strong, but good)
Thanks; I'll check it and maybe snag one once I get some sheng exposure.
tenuki wrote:And for a good solid ripe puer in the same ballpark as above:
Ah! Ripe is (currently) my game! Shanghai's a bit far, had some issue with my last shipment from Asia (Post office :| ). May give that one a go.
tenuki wrote:If you are set on a puershop cooked brick try this one:
I'll take a gander; Puer shop has a few things I haven't seen anywhere else, and they are in the U.S., which makes them very attractive. What makes you suggest that one over the older one linked above?

M.

Apr 15th, '13, 13:56

by tenuki » Apr 15th, '13, 13:56

MEversbergII wrote: What makes you suggest that one over the older one linked above?

I've had both.

Apr 16th, '13, 00:37

by Teaism » Apr 16th, '13, 00:37

Generally don't write off any tea, but learn to identify good tea. Do not generalize but judge the tea by its real quality. Buy in small quantity and try some of the tea your friends have.

Years ago, I came across a really good and excellent mini Tou Cha. It change my mindset as I had lower regard for mini Tou in the past. From then on, I would explore and try all tea, from white to black, east to west, aged and new... from aged earl grey to Morocco mint gunpowder tea to the purest Beidou to Darjeeling to Malaysian Cameroonian tea and to whatever tea I come across etc. I am really a crazy tea junkie haha :lol:

A good tea will really taste good, without any hesitation. I have brew LBZ to a young beginner and to a very old seasoned tea drinker and both have the same remarks....WOW! and they found it really good because it is a good tea. It is hard to find good tea but luckily it is easy to recognize a good tea when you chance upon it.

So open up your mind and try all tea for experience and knowledge. Look and taste the tea, don't look just at the claims, labels, shape and size and price.

Have a great tea journey.

Apr 16th, '13, 01:11

by lordsbm » Apr 16th, '13, 01:11

Teaism wrote:Generally don't write off any tea, but learn to identify good tea. Do not generalize but judge the tea by its real quality. Buy in small quantity and try some of the tea your friends have.
I agree. I believe it's all in the taste, brand, grade, age, origin, etc comes after :lol:

A good tea by any package will taste as great :lol:

But I do find it's not easy to find interesting shu at good prices :roll:

Apr 16th, '13, 19:25

by tenuki » Apr 16th, '13, 19:25

lordsbm wrote: But I do find it's not easy to find interesting shu at good prices :roll:
That's because there is very little interesting shu. May I recommend Sheng instead? ;)

Apr 16th, '13, 19:54

by lordsbm » Apr 16th, '13, 19:54

tenuki wrote:
lordsbm wrote: That's because there is very little interesting shu. May I recommend Sheng instead? ;)
:lol: Ya too little.

Sheng too many interesting ones. Even tuition tea sellers can have cheap interesting sheng :lol:

The hunt for interesting shu, led me to purchase a new huangpian gushu last weekend. Hope it'll live up to it's expectation in a few years. Those who got their yesterday said it's gushu, bitter sweet, have jujube and nuo aroma. *pray hard*

Apr 24th, '13, 08:48

by MEversbergII » Apr 24th, '13, 08:48

Apr 24th, '13, 09:48

by lordsbm » Apr 24th, '13, 09:48

MEversbergII wrote:How about this one?

http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/prod ... product=37

M.
My guess by looking is that it's on the sweeter side, little bit of astringent, huigan is average, shenjin is below average, jujube smell, with hint of nuo flavor. Should be on the bland side, brew is likely on darker size also.

Again just my guess by looking at the photo :lol:

Apr 24th, '13, 22:11

by mr mopu » Apr 24th, '13, 22:11

Not a bad cake but anything younger than 2010 still need to lose some of the "fermented" taste.

+ Post Reply