OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

Postby JRS22 » Apr 10th, '13, 21:17

victoria3 wrote:g. For instance this morning I had O-Cha’s Uji Sencha Otsuusan; I find it has a lyrical lightness to it, I keep upping the ratios to get a little more intensity, to then realize this sweet Karigane Gyokuro/Sencha just has a character that treads lightly and can be enjoyed on its own terms.

Sometimes I feel I’m in search of the holy grail; trying to recapture that first sensory expansion, with that first new tea.

Otsuusan is my favorite non-gyo Japanese green. It has such a rich complex flavor with zero bitterness that I look forward to beginning the day with an Otsuusan session. Then I tell myself that the relatively low price of the Otsuusan balances out the cost of the high-end gyokuros that I favor.
JRS22

Postby victoria3 » Apr 10th, '13, 21:44

JRS22 wrote:Otsuusan is my favorite non-gyo Japanese green. It has such a rich complex flavor with zero bitterness that I look forward to beginning the day with an Otsuusan session. Then I tell myself that the relatively low price of the Otsuusan balances out the cost of the high-end gyokuros that I favor.

I am curious what your steeping parameters are? Today I ratchet it up to see if I could get more depth, it was sweet but had slight astringency; 8gr/6oz/170F/1:45min.
victoria3

Postby Chip » Apr 10th, '13, 22:06

JRS22 wrote:Today was my last session with the first gyo OTTI - anticipated for so long, finished so quickly :(

I usually steep gyo in a shib set from O-Cha but in order to stretch out the tea over more sessions I used this smaller Seong-il Kyusu. Next time there's a gyo OTTI I'm going to save my tea until teachatters with better verbal skills, like Debunix, post their observations.

Despite enjoying Debunex's reviews/postings ... it seems to me you are doing very well on your own! Though I can relate as I often feel inadequate in this regard as well. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Apr 11th, '13, 09:05

Chip wrote:Despite enjoying Debunex's reviews/postings ... it seems to me you are doing very well on your own! Though I can relate as I often feel inadequate in this regard as well. :mrgreen:

Fortunately the inability to translate the tea-drinking experience into complex verbal descriptions doesn't diminish our ability to enjoy the tea or differentiate among different tea experiences. It does make for less interesting OTTI postings, though.
JRS22

Postby puerhking » Apr 12th, '13, 12:03

I have to say that I've enjoyed all the samples. I would be happy to have any of them. They all seem to have their strengths. However I don't think I can render a real opinion without more tea.

I have noticed one nasty aspect of this tasting....I want to drink gyokuro everyday after dinner. I love its concentrated richness. And I don't want to buy any before shincha is released.

:shaking fist at Chip: :lol:
puerhking

Postby JRS22 » Apr 12th, '13, 17:26

puerhking wrote:I have to say that I've enjoyed all the samples. I would be happy to have any of them. They all seem to have their strengths. However I don't think I can render a real opinion without more tea.

I have noticed one nasty aspect of this tasting....I want to drink gyokuro everyday after dinner. I love its concentrated richness. And I don't want to buy any before shincha is released.

:shaking fist at Chip: :lol:

A few more gyokuro OTTIs and you may feel the need to change your forum name....

There's a real market opportunity here for local teashops. Teach people how to make gyo and the customers/students will be addicted to the merchandise!
JRS22

Postby BioHorn » Apr 12th, '13, 23:27

Luxurious OTTI
5 grams of leaf with 60 ml filtered tap water
1. 120 F/ 90 seconds
2. 133 F/ +- 25 seconds
3. 138 F/ 60 seconds
4. 140-145 F/ 2 minutes

This tea exhibited exceptional balance. I particularly enjoyed the first and second infusions. The finish was lingering and left me wishing for just a few more drops. The holding vessel smelled of pine needles. This is a tea I would gladly buy.

Could have gone one more steeping, but wanted to save some flavor for rice topping.

Low res bad pics. Good pic links below.
--------------------------------------------
Original photos:
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zsA3hM3sOfs/UWjG9ogc47I/AAAAAAAARsA/6rEGqniusT0/s2048/IMAGE_2F094129-5095-4C2D-BE87-E2E1DE441D29.JPG
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-69odNXfKqXo/UWjHA5GAAYI/AAAAAAAARsI/y60DR_8CjoU/s2048/IMAGE_D9E0EA66-E7FE-4F3A-908B-DEE82A81008A.JPG
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8cynQVxdFzw/UWjHEeQiAAI/AAAAAAAARsQ/1KuCDzJ9djQ/s2048/IMAGE_DE1DFC65-50B4-454C-850D-05AB146B691C.JPG
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4rjGuUgwf4U/UWjHIDgUwEI/AAAAAAAARsY/ZrvhwBOzesc/s2048/IMAGE_4CFF5156-3243-4800-A330-52091666A2A8.JPG
BioHorn

Postby puerhking » Apr 13th, '13, 11:52

JRS22 wrote:A few more gyokuro OTTIs and you may feel the need to change your forum name....

There's a real market opportunity here for local teashops. Teach people how to make gyo and the customers/students will be addicted to the merchandise!

Puerh is my first love, but Japanese greens definitely come in second. Yes...teashop owners could hang out on the corner enticing people with their "stuff". :P
puerhking

Postby debunix » Apr 13th, '13, 13:07

Gyo #2,another round

90 seconds 130 degrees, 30mL, 2 grams, in tiny porcelain gaiwan and with jewel-like Nakao 'summer galaxy' cup: warm, deep, rich umami--briny, peas, roasted corn--and nothing else breaks through, the berries and chocolate and grassy flavors are AWOL in this one

30 seconds, same
I think this is the desired flavor that I am getting, but the smoothness of it reminds me of a really fine vegetable broth--a great base for something, but there is no 'spark' of something to shine above & set off the very nice base.

60 seconds, 150 degrees, a bit of sharpness coming through, and this is pleasing against the deep briny umami base

60 seconds, 170 degrees, now getting berries, and hints of something floral, and the umami has quieted considerably.

duplicate brewing very similar

60 seconds, 190 degrees, and the sharper flavors are taking over, no umami left, still some berries and floral, but more grassy/bitter, so will stop on this now.

The question for now is, for those early umami-rich infusions, that are more broth-like and less tea-like to my taste, less tea or hotter temps to try to increase the other flavor elements in comparison to the umami?

I'll be sticking to very small infusions, so I have plenty more for practice.
debunix

Postby JRS22 » Apr 13th, '13, 18:40

victoria3 wrote:
JRS22 wrote:Otsuusan is my favorite non-gyo Japanese green. It has such a rich complex flavor with zero bitterness that I look forward to beginning the day with an Otsuusan session. Then I tell myself that the relatively low price of the Otsuusan balances out the cost of the high-end gyokuros that I favor.

I am curious what your steeping parameters are? Today I ratchet it up to see if I could get more depth, it was sweet but had slight astringency; 8gr/6oz/170F/1:45min.

I use a tokoname hobin that seems perfect for this tea with these brewing parameters:
5gr/6oz
165F/1:30m
165F/30s
165F/1m
180F/20s

Just posting this makes me want to order another bag of 2012 Otsuusan to tide me over until the 2013 is available!
JRS22

Postby BioHorn » Apr 13th, '13, 19:11

Gyo number 4:
5g/ 60ml
#1. 120F/ 90 seconds
#2. 120F/ 30 seconds
#3. 130F/ 60 seconds
#4: 140F/ 120 seconds

First steep was nice. Rich, with umami. Maybe a bit hard. Reminiscent of berries.
Round 2: a bit light.
#3: tea went a bit bitter.
#4: grassy moderate bitterness

I do not think it is as balanced as sample number 3. The mouthfeel was a bit shorter than others. The bitterness carried brew number four well. Better than the others. However, would not change it for brews 1-3 of the others.
Sorry to not be more flowery in the descriptions.
EDIT: spelling
BioHorn

Postby Running for Tea » Apr 16th, '13, 19:34

Over the last couple days, I've given samples 2,3 and 4 another shot. I waited to post my experiences since I completely botched #3 due to lack of focus. Followed up with a botch on #4 the next day. I'm hoping to figure #4 out before my sample dwindles. I went with a lower temp this time, but still too bitter. Next attempt I'm planning to lower temp even more and possibly try a lower leaf:water.

Today, I went with #2 (while weighing the leaf, the amount I had left did not match up with the amount I had used already. I'm pretty sure I used #2 when I was intending to use #3 a few days ago). This confusion probably explains how I could mess up #3, which I steeped pretty spot on the first time.
#2 2.5:1
130* 80s
140* 20s
160* 60s (accidently went too hot, but didn't turn out anywhere near as bitter as I was expecting)
175* 120s

Nice umami with a subdued sweetness. I noticed the sweet flavor more as an aftertaste. This time around, I noticed a fairly prevalent seaweed aroma from this tea. This was an aspect that I completely missed during my first attempt at this tea. The seaweed flavor was more subtle than the aroma would lead one to believe. Very nice gyokuro :mrgreen:
Running for Tea

Postby victoria3 » Apr 17th, '13, 02:05

I had a second tasting of #1 today, Zencha's Gyokuro the Ultimate, and was wowed again by it’s deep lingering sweet flavor palate, and its sweet scented emerald green liquor. It has a wonderfully smooth vegetal yet almost nutty palate. I'm now very interested in trying other Gyokuros from Zencha as well as ordering this one again.
Zencha's Gyokuro the Ultimate.jpg
Zencha's Gyokuro the Ultimate.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 825 times
p.s. if you are wondering about the cloudy deep green, I upped the time parameters a bit; 5g/2oz/110F/upppps 2 minutes, and always give the kyusu a few swirls before pouring. Wow this one is great!

JRS22 wrote:
victoria3 wrote:re:O-Cha’s Uji Sencha Otsuusan.....
JRS22 wrote:Otsuusan is my favorite non-gyo Japanese green. .....
I use a tokoname hobin that seems perfect for this tea with these brewing parameters:
5gr/6oz
165F/1:30m
165F/30s
165F/1m
180F/20s.......

Thank You JRS22 for sharing your parameters. I began my day with a slight tweak, somewhere between yours and mine; 6grams/6ounces/165F/1:50sec. Results were perfect, no astringency, sweet, smooth super smooth, mild nutty flavor. Yes a rich smooth tasting sencha!
victoria3

Postby Devoted135 » Apr 17th, '13, 08:59

Tried #2 for the first and second time over the weekend. Wow, this one is rich in umami! I think it's a little strong for my tastes, but I'll see what happens if I use less leaf next time.

2.5:1/130F/60s for the first steep, and it's so rich I feel like I'm drinking soup.
130F/20s for the second steep, slightly less overpowering.
140F/45s for the third, and now more seaweed flavors are coming out.
150F/2.5 min (whoops, got distracted. Thankfully the tea didn't punish me at all for this) Nice seaweed flavor, almost no umami left.

I went several more steeps and I don't feel like it ever really hit that sweet spot that #1 did for me. Still, I'm very glad to have tried it and can totally see why others might really love this gyokuro. :)
Devoted135

Postby FlyedPiper » Apr 18th, '13, 17:11

Gotta say this OTTI was an eye opener for me. The offering from O-Cha was pretty good. Yamashita's stuff I definitely want to try again, albeit at a higher price point :mrgreen: . I was disappointed with the Suimei, not because it was horrible but only because it was SOOOO much better last year.
FlyedPiper

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions