NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby Tobias » Apr 13th, '13, 16:07

futurebird wrote:Is that tray new? I love those trays, they really go well with just about anything.?

Not exactly new, I bought it about half a year ago. It's quite big and heavy so I usually don't move it around much.

AdamMY wrote:You got one of those Yunomi! A few months ago I stumbled upon them and thought they looked incredible. Great purchase, how do you like it?

I really like the brushwork on it but it has seen very little use since I bought it over a year ago. It was either too big or small to be used with my brewing vessels but it's a perfect match with the Touju.
User avatar
Tobias
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Jul 15th, '
Location: Sweden

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby victoria3 » Apr 13th, '13, 18:29

NPE wrote:I would like to present to you Andrzej's Mr. Red welcoming a teacup by Bill Perrine that arrived just today. A truly intercontinental pleasure enjoying some lovely oolong from Taiwan

I just came back from a cute Japanese tea ceremony performed by 7th graders at a Waldorf school. I kept wondering why the tea bowls/chawan are so large given the small amount of tea served, and now I see your picture. So I'll ask; why do I keep seeing really tiny kyusu with mega huge tea bowls? I am still in the habit of using cups proportional to liquor served. Is it a way to present the liquor? or does it retain scent better? or....
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 18:50

I used to teach waldorf before I became a college lecturer. (professor someday...)

they WOULD have a tea ceremony. :lol: I miss my waldorf school.
futurebird
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby victoria3 » Apr 13th, '13, 20:13

futurebird wrote:I used to teach waldorf before I became a college lecturer. (professor someday...)
they WOULD have a tea ceremony. :lol: I miss my waldorf school.

College professor, well that explains your taking the time to create an informed wikipedia page on the history of a Yixing Factory. Waldorf is an awesome precursor to university teaching, lucky students. I've also been a prof. love those students.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby debunix » Apr 13th, '13, 21:55

I tried to resist this chawan by Petr Novak for weeks and weeks. I don't drink matcha and I don't need another large chawan! But still, I kept going to the web site and looking and looking, and not clicking and not clicking but the central reflecting pool

Image

and the several marvelous drips

Image

and the overall translucency and delightful shape finally won out

Image

It's very shiny and not easy to photograph well. More photos as I figure it out!
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 4954
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 22:23

Wow that drip looks liquid.
futurebird
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby ethan » Apr 13th, '13, 23:15

debunix, that's a beauty.
ethan
 
Posts: 432
Joined: May 27th, '
Location: Boston, MA 2/3; Thailand 1/3

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby AdamMY » Apr 13th, '13, 23:37

futurebird wrote:I used to teach waldorf before I became a college lecturer. (professor someday...)


Where are you doing your Doctoral work?

Tobias wrote: It was either too big or small to be used with my brewing vessels but it's a perfect match with the Touju.


I can understand that sentiment, but you can always brew less in a larger pot. Though from my own personal habits, I rarely do that myself, so I can understand why you would want to shy away from that.
User avatar
AdamMY
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Jul 22nd, '
Location: Capital of the Mitten

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby chamekke » Apr 14th, '13, 02:08

victoria3 wrote:I just came back from a cute Japanese tea ceremony performed by 7th graders at a Waldorf school. I kept wondering why the tea bowls/chawan are so large given the small amount of tea served, and now I see your picture. So I'll ask; why do I keep seeing really tiny kyusu with mega huge tea bowls? I am still in the habit of using cups proportional to liquor served. Is it a way to present the liquor? or does it retain scent better? or....


I'm assuming the tea served at the Waldorf school was matcha (powdered green tea), right?

The tea bowl serves as both mixing bowl and tea cup. It has to accommodate matcha powder, hot water AND the bamboo whisk, and therefore must be big enough so that the liquid doesn't splash out when the mixture is being whisked together. So, the volume of tea is usually small relative to the bowl's size.

Kyusu are used for steeping tea leaves so the function is somewhat different. Also, steeped tea is usually decanted into cups that are much smaller than those mega-sized tea bowls. Unless I'm missing something... which is not impossible :)
User avatar
chamekke
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Apr 6th, '0
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby NPE » Apr 14th, '13, 09:12

victoria3 wrote:I kept wondering why the tea bowls/chawan are so large given the small amount of tea served, and now I see your picture. So I'll ask; why do I keep seeing really tiny kyusu with mega huge tea bowls? I am still in the habit of using cups proportional to liquor served. Is it a way to present the liquor? or does it retain scent better? or....


Most of the time I use a yunomi, but in this case, the teabowl from Bill Perrine was just too enchanting - and it is not the general humungous chawan-size, by the way. It turns out that the Kyusu from Andrzej Bero manages to fill up about half of the tea bowl, resulting in the tea cooling down immediately to drinking temperature as well as enabling me to get a good nose-full of the lovely tea smell :D Perfect for me when I need an immediate tea-fix in the morning :lol:
User avatar
NPE
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Jan 16th, '
Location: Netherlands

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby victoria3 » Apr 14th, '13, 13:31

chamekke wrote:
victoria3 wrote:I just came back from a cute Japanese tea ceremony performed by 7th graders at a Waldorf school. I kept wondering why the tea bowls/chawan are so large given the small amount of tea served, and now I see your picture. So I'll ask; why do I keep seeing really tiny kyusu with mega huge tea bowls? I am still in the habit of using cups proportional to liquor served. Is it a way to present the liquor? or does it retain scent better? or....

I'm assuming the tea served at the Waldorf school was matcha (powdered green tea), right?
The tea bowl serves as both mixing bowl and tea cup.......

Yes, at the tea ceremony they served matcha, and right a larger bowl is needed to whisk the powder. My question has to do with serving very small liquors from small kyusu/houhin into large chawan.
Like here;
debunix wrote:Image
Morning tea by debunix, on Flickr

NPE wrote:Most of the time I use a yunomi, but in this case, the teabowl from Bill Perrine was just too enchanting - and it is not the general humungous chawan-size, by the way. It turns out that the Kyusu from Andrzej Bero manages to fill up about half of the tea bowl, resulting in the tea cooling down immediately to drinking temperature as well as enabling me to get a good nose-full of the lovely tea smell :D Perfect for me when I need an immediate tea-fix in the morning :lol:

Ok, this makes sense to me, your choice is aesthetic, sensory and partly functional, plus the bowl probably appears larger in the photo. I haven’t started collecting these kind of bowls yet but can see from your explanation the allure.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby victoria3 » Apr 15th, '13, 16:16

One more thought on large bowls used for very small liquors. I am reading “The Book of Tea” by Okakura Kakuzo, and he writes that during the Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD) when ground tea was in favor (as opposed to loose leaves) a single bowl was passed around. Possibly this established something of a tradition for using large bowls for small liquors. “Among the Buddhists, the southern Zen sect, which incorporated so much of Taoist doctrines, formulated an elaborate ritual of tea. The monks gathered before the image of Bodhi Dharma and drank tea out of a single bowl with the profound formality of a holy sacrament. It was this Zen ritual which finally developed into the Tea-ceremony of Japan in the fifteenth century.”
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby hopeofdawn » Apr 25th, '13, 16:51

Haven't done this for awhile--home sick today, so have a random tea snapshot of the tail end of a bi lo chun session ...

Image
User avatar
hopeofdawn
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Dec 13th, '
Location: Seattle

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby debunix » Apr 25th, '13, 20:37

Such a cheerful character that teapot has--perky, even. And what is the cool plate/tray under the teacup made of?
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 4954
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

Postby Stentor » Apr 26th, '13, 03:27

debunix wrote:what is the cool plate/tray under the teacup made of?

Looks like copper.
User avatar
Stentor
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Oct 8th, '1
Location: Germany

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation