Official Shincha 2013 Ordering topic


Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby Teacup1980 » Apr 10th, '13, 19:01

One of my favorite vendors Sugimoto America has been sharing the photos of recent tea fields in its Facebook page. I was very impressed with the beauty of the tea fields. I'm sure many of you here in TeaChat will enjoy the photos :D
www.facebook.com/sugimotoamerica
User avatar
Teacup1980
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Jul 23rd, '

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby victoria3 » Apr 10th, '13, 19:25

Teacup1980 wrote:One of my favorite vendors Sugimoto America has been sharing the photos of recent tea fields in its Facebook page. I was very impressed with the beauty of the tea fields. I'm sure many of you here in TeaChat will enjoy the photos :D
http://www.facebook.com/sugimotoamerica

I have tried only one sencha from Sugimoto, Enrich; the farm nor location of the leaves was identified anywhere. Do you think they own tea farms in Japan? or just get their supplies from the same farmers each year?
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby Kevangogh » Apr 11th, '13, 00:49

Today the yen is at a four year low, I'd say that was pretty good timing for purchasers of Japanese shincha this year! Quick check - $1.00 = 99.5 JPY, one year ago it was in the 70's.
User avatar
Kevangogh
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Jul 13th, '
Location: Japan

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby Chip » Apr 11th, '13, 01:45

Kevangogh wrote:Today the yen is at a four year low, I'd say that was pretty good timing for purchasers of Japanese shincha this year! Quick check - $1.00 = 99.5 JPY, one year ago it was in the 70's.

Quite an amazing rebound ... it is virtually at the magical 100:1 mark. Did anyone see this coming? It is very good time to be buying tea in Yen! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22110
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby victoria3 » Apr 11th, '13, 01:46

Kevangogh wrote:Today the yen is at a four year low, I'd say that was pretty good timing for purchasers of Japanese shincha this year! Quick check - $1.00 = 99.5 JPY, one year ago it was in the 70's.

Very nice, I noticed today you are one of the few vendors reflecting this as a discount in your pricing.
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby Running for Tea » Apr 11th, '13, 08:45

Chip wrote:
Kevangogh wrote:Today the yen is at a four year low, I'd say that was pretty good timing for purchasers of Japanese shincha this year! Quick check - $1.00 = 99.5 JPY, one year ago it was in the 70's.

Quite an amazing rebound ... it is virtually at the magical 100:1 mark. Did anyone see this coming? It is very good time to be buying tea in Yen! :mrgreen:

Guess who is placing their Shincha order :!: :mrgreen:
(fighting urge to include teaware in order :lol: )

re-edit: to return to original post... this is a rough morning :oops: :lol:
User avatar
Running for Tea
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Aug 14th, '
Location: Ohio

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby BrooklynBrew » Apr 11th, '13, 10:54

I found the yen very comparable when I was in Japan. It helps I am a New Yorker, so the prices just translated to NYC prices (including sales tax).
User avatar
BrooklynBrew
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jan 24th, '
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby BrooklynBrew » Apr 11th, '13, 11:51

I got an email from Den's saying their preoders begin today.

Nothing yet.
User avatar
BrooklynBrew
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jan 24th, '
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby sherubtse » Apr 11th, '13, 11:58

The favourable exchange rates for the Yen apply for all tea orders priced in Yen, of course, and not just for shincha orders. (For those outside of the U.S., the rates may not be as attractive, as one's credit card is usually charged in the local currency.)

So if your favourite supplier charges in Yen, now is a great time to stock up. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby BrooklynBrew » Apr 11th, '13, 12:50

http://www.denstea.com/b2012-mothers-da ... c-590.html

I just saw this on Den's. Is this the only way he sells Sincha? I don't need the gift can, so if there's a bag version that's a little cheaper, I'll wait until he puts that up on sale.

EDIT: Never mind: http://www.denstea.com/b2012-shinchab-c-586.html

Preordered the Hashiri and I'll have to come back in a month and buy the Kunpu.
User avatar
BrooklynBrew
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jan 24th, '
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby victoria3 » Apr 11th, '13, 18:40

victoria3 wrote:
Teacup1980 wrote:One of my favorite vendors Sugimoto America has been sharing the photos of recent tea fields in its Facebook page. I was very impressed with the beauty of the tea fields. I'm sure many of you here in TeaChat will enjoy the photos :D
http://www.facebook.com/sugimotoamerica

I have tried only one sencha from Sugimoto, Enrich; the farm nor location of the leaves was identified anywhere. Do you think they own tea farms in Japan? or just get their supplies from the same farmers each year?

I asked Sugimoto if the fields posted on Facebook were used for their sincha and they replied that yes "The tea fields are located in Shimada city and Kakegawa city in Shizuoka, Japan" & "Your Shin Cha will be produced from these young leaves you are looking right now. Happy Spring!"
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby Chip » Apr 11th, '13, 21:39

victoria3 wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Teacup1980 wrote:One of my favorite vendors Sugimoto America has been sharing the photos of recent tea fields in its Facebook page. I was very impressed with the beauty of the tea fields. I'm sure many of you here in TeaChat will enjoy the photos :D
http://www.facebook.com/sugimotoamerica

I have tried only one sencha from Sugimoto, Enrich; the farm nor location of the leaves was identified anywhere. Do you think they own tea farms in Japan? or just get their supplies from the same farmers each year?

I asked Sugimoto if the fields posted on Facebook were used for their sincha and they replied that yes "The tea fields are located in Shimada city and Kakegawa city in Shizuoka, Japan" & "Your Shin Cha will be produced from these young leaves you are looking right now. Happy Spring!"

Met the Sugimoto family at the 2012 World Tea Expo in Vegas last year. They were all so very charming and friendly! Mom brewed us several teas.

We discussed having Sugimoto participating in OTTI/NOTTI rounds which I am hoping to schedule this Spring.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22110
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby sherubtse » Apr 12th, '13, 21:00

I see that Den's has posted some terms for shincha pre-orders.

http://www.denstea.com/b2012-shinchab-h ... 6_589.html

Like O-Cha, they are offering a 10% discount for pre-orders. And, like O-Cha, credit cards will be charged at time of order. Unlike O-Cha however, their shinchas seem rather expensive.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby Poohblah » Apr 13th, '13, 01:38

That seems to be the general trend.

Domestic vendors have higher prices but they are more convient than their overseas counterparts.
User avatar
Poohblah
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Mar 4th, '1
Location: somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

Postby victoria3 » Apr 15th, '13, 19:54

I went ahead an preordered 88 Nights & Yakushima Sincha as well as a few sencha- Magokoro,Yume-gokochi from; http://www.kaburagien.co.jp/english/yoyaku/index.php
They take your pre-order, send an email saying they will be in touch with updated costs once 88 night teas reachs them. Billing is later.
Has anyone tried their sinchas?
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation