Official Shincha 2013 Ordering topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 17th, '13, 21:09
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official Shincha 2013 topic

by Chip » Apr 17th, '13, 21:09

I started a new topic on nomenclature regarding Shincha ... you can visit it here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18574

Here is an excerpt:

Shin cha... means new harvest tea in Japanese. It is always first flush, but not all first flush is shincha. Upon harvesting, shincha in its truest, purest form goes through complete processing, manufacturing. The Shincha is then immediately packaged for immediate sale. Shincha is traditionally off the store shelves by July. Once it is gone, it is gone til next year. They cannot make more by pulling more Aracha out of cold storage (see below).

Most will agree that Shincha offers the Japanese green tea enthusiast the freshest tasting and smelling sencha of the year. Less agreement can be found on why is it better ... or is it better than non Shincha versions of the exact same tea. Also, some say Shincha has a higher moisture content in the leaves thus limiting its peak-freshness shelf-life.

Ichiban cha is simply first flush Japanese tea. Not all ichibancha is shincha. Why? Because only a portion of first flush tea goes through complete processing, manufacturing, packaging immediately upon harvesting ... earning the name shincha.

Most of ichibancha is placed into cold storage as aracha in very large airtight bales. Ichibancha goes through final processing throughout the year to provide consumers with the freshest teas possible. Aracha is pulled from cold storage as needed to go through this final processing and then packaging ... once packaged it is still simply Ichibancha, NOT Shincha, capish?

Ara cha is commonly refered to as farmer's tea. It is tea that is fully processed up to the final sorting of the leaves. So, it will have all sizes of leaf and as well as leaf stems and veins. Most ichibancha is placed into huge cold storage rooms as aracha. Traditionally Aracha was usually the very first tea to be consumed by tea farmers and fortunate consumers since it is the first tea to be completely processed, thus the name "farmer's tea."

A small portion of first flush Aracha is packaged immediately and sold as Shincha. The rest will be stored until needed throughout the year and sold as Ichibancha. If you think of it, this is a very efficient method of production from a cash flow stand point, but it also apparently ensures that the freshest Ichibancha will be available throughout the harvest year. This also keeps Shincha as ... special.

Apr 17th, '13, 22:33

by Remick » Apr 17th, '13, 22:33

Impatiently waiting for my order of Hashiri from Den's.

The TeaBudget has room for another order, but I'm torn between O-Cha and Maiko. Decisions, decisions...

Oooooh, looks like Yen to Dollar is doing better today! :twisted:

Apr 18th, '13, 07:13

by sherubtse » Apr 18th, '13, 07:13

Apr 18th, '13, 09:33

by David R. » Apr 18th, '13, 09:33

Poohblah wrote:
David R. wrote:Does anyone know if Ippodo's shincha is a blend too ?
I have been under the impression that Japanese tea producers will generally blend tea in order to get the best flavor, while Chinese and Taiwanese producers will generally aim to provide tea of the highest pedigree from a single estate.
I think so too. And maybe it is the very reason why "blend" always sound negative to me in a way. Maybe I shouldn't. But anyway, I manage to find quality not blended japanese tea which I find amazing, so I don't care that much.

Thanks for answering my question sherubtse and Pooblah !

Apr 18th, '13, 10:04

by sherubtse » Apr 18th, '13, 10:04

David R. wrote:But anyway, I manage to find quality not blended japanese tea which I find amazing, so I don't care that much.
I would be interested to know, David R., where you find such tea.

I might add that I don't think blended tea is *necessarily* bad, nor is single-garden tea *necessarily* good. But it may be easier to find great sencha from the latter rather than the former.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 18th, '13, 18:41

by tjsan » Apr 18th, '13, 18:41

Interesting Shincha's from ChadoTeaHouse https://www.chadoteahouse.com/seasons.asp

Apr 21st, '13, 08:46

by David R. » Apr 21st, '13, 08:46

sherubtse wrote:I would be interested to know, David R., where you find such tea.
No problem. My main supplier for the past two years has been Thés du Japon, with very high quality sencha for a very reasonable price as far as I am concerned anyway. This year, I have also added sencha from Postcard Teas, which few people talk about, but that are really different from "modern sencha", processed the old fashon way. After a nearly one year without vacuum or nitrogen packing, they still are incredible teas.

My favourite blenders last year have been Ippodo and Horaido among those I have tasted.

Apr 21st, '13, 14:25

by sherubtse » Apr 21st, '13, 14:25

David R. wrote:My main supplier for the past two years has been Thés du Japon, with very high quality sencha for a very reasonable price as far as I am concerned anyway. This year, I have also added sencha from Postcard Teas, which few people talk about, but that are really different from "modern sencha", processed the old fashon way. After a nearly one year without vacuum or nitrogen packing, they still are incredible teas.

My favourite blenders last year have been Ippodo and Horaido among those I have tasted.
Thanks for the reminder of Postcard Teas. They have some interesting selections, including some single-estate Japanese teas. No info on shipping, though.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 21st, '13, 22:26

by beachape » Apr 21st, '13, 22:26

Just placed my order from o-cha; Kirameki and Sae Midori. Had the standard issue Sae midori earlier this year and I was extremely impressed. Probably my favorite sencha yet; very fresh and grassy. Kirameki will be new for me but i'm excited for both.

Apr 22nd, '13, 02:28

by Stentor » Apr 22nd, '13, 02:28

I wasn't going to order any shincha but you guys will probably make me cave sooner or later. :mrgreen:
I have not had Sae Midori or Yutaka Midori for a while, so it is tempting.
Had I not missed O-Cha's preorder offer I probably would have caved by now.

Apr 24th, '13, 20:10

by fmoreira272 » Apr 24th, '13, 20:10

tjsan wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Seeker wrote:Oh, and BTW, just to be really clear,
COUNT ME ALL IN FOR THE SHINCHA OTTI!
:mrgreen:
Count me in too! my favorite...
Yes, Shincha! .. and me too, please :D

me too!!! :D

Apr 26th, '13, 14:17

by victoria3 » Apr 26th, '13, 14:17

Stentor wrote:I wasn't going to order any shincha but you guys will probably make me cave sooner or later. :mrgreen:
fmoreira272 wrote:me too!!! :D
Well, these are my 2013 Sincha pre-orders. I'm exploring some new vendors and price points under 25$US/3.5oz.;
O-Cha
Yutaka Midori (3)
Sae Midori (1)
Kaoru (1)
Chiran (1)

Maiko tea
Shincha Sencha (2)
Shincha Sencha KlNARI (2)
Shincha Gyokuro (1)

Kaburagien (they will email me when teas are in & then charge)
88 Nights (1)
Yakushima Sincha (1)
as well as a few sencha- Magokoro,Yume-gokochi

Sugimoto America
Hachiju Hachiya Shin Cha (1)

Maeda-en
Oohashiri (1)
Hachijyuhachiya (88th night) (2)

I plan on refrigerating unopened packs, something I've never tried, so I'm a bit nervous about that. Am hoping sealed zip-lock bag, inside sealed tupperware, inside a lower bin of my food filled refrigerator works. And then using 24hour cool down rule. Anyone had success or failure with this method?
Last edited by victoria3 on Apr 26th, '13, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 26th, '13, 15:19

by rdl » Apr 26th, '13, 15:19

victoria3 wrote:I plan on refrigerating unopened packs, something I've never tried, so I'm a bit nervous about that. Am hoping sealed zip-lock bag, inside sealed tupperware, inside a lower bin of my food filled refrigerator works. And then using 24hour cool down rule. Anyone had success with this method?
you may wish to see this from Horaido: bottom of left hand side "To keep tea well"
http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaido/greentea.htm

enjoy your shincha!

Apr 27th, '13, 05:41

by Stentor » Apr 27th, '13, 05:41

OK, OK! I went ahead and ordered some Sae Midori and Yutaka Midori from O-Cha! I'm looking forward to these as I haven't had them for a while.

Apr 27th, '13, 12:44

by victoria3 » Apr 27th, '13, 12:44

Stentor wrote:OK, OK! I went ahead and ordered some Sae Midori and Yutaka Midori from O-Cha! I'm looking forward to these as I haven't had them for a while.
OK, now we can share tasting notes!

+ Post Reply