Apr 16th, '13, 08:42

Duan ni high fired?

by futurebird » Apr 16th, '13, 08:42

I've had bad experiences buying lighter colored clays. They seem to be much riskier to buy from a not-well-known source since they are often under-fired.

Can anyone vouch for the quality of any yellow or white yixing pots? I don't mid paying a little more, but so far I only have two in my collection with good clay-- I've had to get rid of three.

Apr 16th, '13, 10:47

Re: duan ni high fired?

by amaranto » Apr 16th, '13, 10:47

I bought a well-crafted duanni high-fired pot from Sample Tea. As with a lot of their pots, it is a Factory 5. It adds a bright note to the tea I brew in it that I really enjoy. It also likes different kinds of tea—from Anxi oolongs to sheng puehr.

Apr 16th, '13, 18:15

by tingjunkie » Apr 16th, '13, 18:15

Sounds like you're paying a LOT of tuition there futurebird. Just how many "good" duan ni pots is one supposed to have after less than 3 months of collecting?

Apr 16th, '13, 18:27

by futurebird » Apr 16th, '13, 18:27

These are my ebay pots and other pots from cheap sources they never cost more than $20 and I can sell them for at least $10 without much trouble.

I could likely get a bit more butt I'm adverse to lying. :lol:

I've only bought two pots from non-ebay vendors that were highly recommended here. (not duan ni just purple) they were the most expensive I've bought at $40 and $120 each. The $40 one is a dud, that I will sell for $10 maybe still thinking it over.

One of my ebay pots was $11 *shipped* and it's much better than the $40 pot.

At this point buying cheap ebay pots seem *less* risky to me than paying for quality. :?

I've been looking at some duan ni pots at some of the "recommended" shops-- but before I buy something that's $100 or so I want to know what the chances are that it will smell like clay, and just not brew.

It could be the case that to get a decent duan ni pot one must pay more in which case I'll wait until I know more.

Apr 16th, '13, 20:13

by tingjunkie » Apr 16th, '13, 20:13

futurebird wrote: At this point buying cheap ebay pots seem *less* risky to me than paying for quality. :?

I've been looking at some duan ni pots at some of the "recommended" shops-- but before I buy something that's $100 or so I want to know what the chances are that it will smell like clay, and just not brew.
Any of the reputable online vendors will have a decent return policy. Getting to try a pot, and sending it back for a full refund if it doesn't perform, seems far less risky to me than fishing eBay for $20 pots. :wink:

Apr 19th, '13, 02:28

Re: Duan ni high fired?

by bagua7 » Apr 19th, '13, 02:28

futurebird wrote:Can anyone vouch for the quality of any yellow or white yixing pots?
I have pots made using this clay from he following vendors:

1. Jing Tea Shop. Top stuff.
2. Wisdom China (eBay). Their old and yellow types are great.
3. Shouzen zisha (no longer selling online). Excellent quality as well.

Apr 19th, '13, 08:15
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 19th, '13, 08:15

futurebird et. al., A ? arises: How long does it take to know that a teapot is a "dud"? I am using one for puerh that does not do much but somehow I cannot decide. How many times do people use a pot before they are confident about what it can do?
I also tried buying a fair amount of cheap yixing pots. I found one that brings out all the nuances of my favorite tea for which it is dedicated. I decided two were duds & sold them at a small loss (to people who don't drink tea to use for decor). & then there is the one that I feel will season, but I don't know after about 30 uses (> 100 infusions).

Apr 19th, '13, 23:43

by tingjunkie » Apr 19th, '13, 23:43

ethan wrote:futurebird et. al., A ? arises: How long does it take to know that a teapot is a "dud"?
That's up to the user of course. :wink: There are some sure fire ways to tell if a pot is underfired or contains bad chemicals: 1) the pot has an unnatural or funky smell after hot water is poured through (real pots should basically smell like nothing more than hot rocks/sand), and 2) when sipping plain boiled water that has sat in the pot for a couple minutes, you will get a rough scratchy sensation in the throat.

As long as a pot passes these two tests, you should be able to find some tea pairing for it, even if it's for cooked puerh. There are umpteen threads here on tea/pot pairing, so I won't rehash it, but if a pot takes away a ton of the tea's flavor and aroma, and if it doesn't make the tea deeper to your senses, then it's a bad pairing. Some pots are just plain "erasers" and will take flavor and aroma away from any tea.

Apr 20th, '13, 00:12
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 20th, '13, 00:12

thank you, tingjun....
The pot in ? passes the tests. It is not dangerous etc. It certainly has not paired well w/ puerh. It may be an "eraser". I'll experiment some more trying to find a suitable pairing.
You made it clear to me: a good pairing of tea & pot makes the tea deeper to one's senses, & a bad pot "erases" flavor, taking pleasure away.

Apr 20th, '13, 02:03

by tingjunkie » Apr 20th, '13, 02:03

No prob. Another "trick" that I have discovered is to smell the underside of the pot lid inbetween infusions of a tea. If the aroma is strong, clear and sweet, it's usually a good pairing. If the aroma is weak, unfocussed or boring, it may be a bad pairing. Not an end all be all, but a good technique to use in combination with other tests. :wink: Good luck!

Apr 20th, '13, 02:15

by futurebird » Apr 20th, '13, 02:15

That's a really good tip!

Apr 21st, '13, 14:58

by futurebird » Apr 21st, '13, 14:58

Anyone own this pot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1990s- ... o-mei-zhen

I have a pot by the same guy, but in another clay and it's perfect. But, I'm nervous about getting light-colored clay.

Apr 22nd, '13, 09:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Apr 22nd, '13, 09:51

Don't get it.

Apr 22nd, '13, 10:46

by amaranto » Apr 22nd, '13, 10:46

futurebird, I have that pot and love it. It has a very good fit and finish and does good things for the tea I've brewed in it. It's the same pot I was describing above. I liked the craftsmanship so much that I ordered two more pots by him in different clays.

brandon, did you buy that pot and not like it?

Apr 22nd, '13, 11:21

by futurebird » Apr 22nd, '13, 11:21

brandon wrote:Don't get it.
What was wrong with it? Thanks for the tips, both of you...

+ Post Reply