Online sources for breakfast

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jan 18th, '13, 04:04

Online sources for breakfast

by beachape » Jan 18th, '13, 04:04

Hello,

Looking to pick up a couple black teas. Wanted to pick up an Irish and English breakfast and an Earl grey. Adagio is sold out of a bunch of black teas. Was thinking about trying twinning's online for their loose tea. Would their offerings be reasonably comparable to the adagio selections? If not, any better options or recommendations?

Thanks!

Jan 18th, '13, 11:11

Re: Online sources for breakfast

by beachape » Jan 18th, '13, 11:11

Well after some further review, it seems that twinning's "loose tea" is more or less the same consistency of the stuff in the bag (like coffee grounds). I am looking for some real loose tea so it seems I'll have to look somewhere else.

Jan 18th, '13, 11:38

by minor_glitch » Jan 18th, '13, 11:38

I'd suggest TeaSource. I haven't tried their blends, but I've enjoyed all the darjeelings and assams I've ordered from them.
http://teasource.com/merchant2/merchant ... Code=Black

Jan 18th, '13, 19:48

by sherubtse » Jan 18th, '13, 19:48

minor_glitch wrote:I'd suggest TeaSource.
Yes, I second this recommendation. I've heard only good things about TeaSource, and its owner Bill Waddington.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jan 20th, '13, 21:19

by beachape » Jan 20th, '13, 21:19

Well now it seems that adagio has the teas I'm interested in back in stock. Wondering how twining and or teasource compares for these options. Normally I wouldn't think that twining (a grocery store tea around here) would compare. However the more i've been looking into it, the more it seems that a it is fairly common for english breakfast tea to be a small particle tea like twinings (probably makes for a stronger brew). I'm interested in a rich full bodied, smooth flavor; not looking for anything overly delicate or fruity/muscatel. Thanks!

Jan 21st, '13, 04:11

by minor_glitch » Jan 21st, '13, 04:11

Maybe go with an assam if you want a rich, bold tea.
The way I see it, "fairly common" usually just means inexpensive and easily accessible (e.g. twinnings).
Might as well try some and see for yourself though. If it stinks you can always serve it to guests you don't particularly like!

Jan 21st, '13, 19:50

by beachape » Jan 21st, '13, 19:50

Ha, good point. I actually ended up ordering a few Twinings teas from their USA website. Saw a few posts about the UK selections being better...but then I saw that shipping was something like 20$ from the UK. Definitely not worth it.

"The way I see it, "fairly common" usually just means inexpensive and easily accessible (e.g. twinnings). "
-Definitely agree. I do think you learn a bit by starting out in the cheaper section and moving up. I remember slowly inching my way up the totem pole for green tea, and by the time I made it to fairly expensive teas the cheaper ones just didn't cut it for me anymore. If it is totally worthless tea I can make some iced tea to serve guests (good call).

Jan 21st, '13, 22:04

by beachape » Jan 21st, '13, 22:04

Found this link about preparing twinings english breakfast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AaVYhZmVzc

He's quite articulate and gives some good info about brewing black in the English style. I also learned the proper pronunciation of Twinings; I assumed it was "twin-ings" ....like the Minnesota Twins....not like a ball of twine.

Jan 26th, '13, 20:33

by edkrueger » Jan 26th, '13, 20:33

About the small particles. If you are going to drink tea with milk (which I almost never do) you really need the BOP grade to get the thick cup. Its also cheap and common, but it has its purpose.

Jan 26th, '13, 21:13

by NOESIS » Jan 26th, '13, 21:13

Many, many moons ago, I worked for Peets. They sell very traditional black teas. The English, Irish and Scottish Breakfast teas are quite good.

http://www.peets.com/shop/tea_blends.asp

Both of the whole-leaf Assam, and Ceylon teas are also very solid.

http://www.peets.com/shop/tea_indiablack.asp

Feb 9th, '13, 17:08
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Feb 9th, '13, 17:08

I tried about 1-2 dozen black tea samplers from Upton for my milk tea. I like any assam than most darjeelings and almost all ceylons. I particular like assam with whole leaves (always give credits to leaf shape :mrgreen: ).

Apr 21st, '13, 22:35

by beachape » Apr 21st, '13, 22:35

Just wanted to post a follow up ;

I ended up ordering English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast and, Earl Grey from Twinings USA website. The English and Irish were very fine particles and the Earl gray was small chunks of leaves. The English breakfast was my favorite of the three, but overall not terribly impressive. It was malty, took milk and sugar and gave quite a caffeine kick. Very little noticeable flavor or aftertaste even when brewed quite strong. The Irish was less impressive; again very little flavor but it did have a bit of a dusty flavor with some bitterness. The Earl Grey was good not great; the flavor of the bergamot was good but it was lacking a good backbone; hard to get a cup with enough tea flavor without overwhelming bergamot flavor.

As a follow up I ordered Irish, English, and Earl Grey from Adagio. I have yet to try the Earl Grey. Didn't care too much for the English breakfast; I've had some good Qimen before and this one was pretty unimpressive; has an earthy, twiggy taste to it. Almost like toasted kukicha. The Irish breakfast was very good; had a good malt backbone but with some good "tea" and slight grape taste. Took well to milk and sugar but good without. Overall I was most impressed with Adagio's Irish breakfast.

Apr 22nd, '13, 03:30

by saxon75 » Apr 22nd, '13, 03:30

My personal favorite breakfast blend is the Scottish Breakfast Blend from Upton. I've tried ten different selections from their "breakfast blend" category, and I find that one to be robust and deep without the bitterness of the Irish blends. After that, in no particular order, the East Frisian BOP, the Mincing Lane Blend, and the Tippy Orthodox Assam GFOP were all close seconds.

One of these days I'd like to try some of their single-estate Assams, but they get kind of pricey, and right now I'm in the middle of figuring out my tastes in oolong and Japanese greens.

+ Post Reply