Apr 22nd, '13, 14:24
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Duan ni high fired?

by brandon » Apr 22nd, '13, 14:24

It looks like a pretty high price tag for years of regret and finally passing down that teapot. Just speaking from very general experience. Artistic and material value are both way too low to recommend.

Apr 22nd, '13, 15:00

by wyardley » Apr 22nd, '13, 15:00

brandon wrote:It looks like a pretty high price tag for years of regret and finally passing down that teapot. Just speaking from very general experience. Artistic and material value are both way too low to recommend.
Also, the color doesn't look natural.

Apr 22nd, '13, 16:18

by amaranto » Apr 22nd, '13, 16:18

Also, the color doesn't look natural.
The pot isn't that color in person. It's quite a bit sandier-looking and not so vivid.

Apr 24th, '13, 18:22

by bagua7 » Apr 24th, '13, 18:22

Personally I wouldn't buy any pots from that vendor. Reason: overpriced & very ordinary craftmanship (as already mentioned above by brandon and wyardley). Some of those clays are heavily mixed and with god knows that added to the brew.

Apr 24th, '13, 18:35

by futurebird » Apr 24th, '13, 18:35

For what it is worth I have this pot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1990s- ... o-mei-zhen

And its PERFECT. The clay does the most wonderful things for tea, it has no odd smells the craftsmanship is very precise and the pour is lovely.

I bet I could get something like it for less in China... but from here in NYC, I guess it's the price we pay.

I'm going to order another since it's that high-quality.

That said I also have this pot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... -cups-40ml

It was $40 and it's just not as good. I may sell it. The lid-fit is worse than on the teapots I made myself! LOL.

And the clay? I don't know what the heck it is, but it's not high quality yixing clay. It has a clay smell when hot and wet (not a bad one) --it brews just fine, though-- I'm torn--

I like having and imitation "cultural revolution" pot (it has a factory 1 stamp-- don't know if it's real though)

Bagua are there any online vendors that you would buy from?
Last edited by futurebird on Apr 25th, '13, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 24th, '13, 23:31

by yalokinh » Apr 24th, '13, 23:31

I have to disagree about the little black one, I the smell it has is comparable to my zhang yan ming chaozhou teapot, a nice mineral clay smell. although the lid fit is pretty awful lol.
I do envy your other 30ml sampletea pot :P
Happy drinking!

Apr 24th, '13, 23:55

by amaranto » Apr 24th, '13, 23:55

I just got a Lu Ni Shui Ping in the mail from Sample Tea. Like the Duan Ni, it seems very well-made. Since I just got it, I've only had time to try steeping water in it after prepping and then a sheng, but the results were very good—clean brews, no weird smells, nice effect on the taste, and clean pours. It also has a nice little ring to it when tapped. I have one more on the way (the larger version of your Zi Qie Ni Shui Ping Hu, futurebird), and we'll see how that one turns out.

I'm also curious as to where you guys would recommend buying pots if Sample Tea's aren't that great. Obviously, no one wants to spend a ridiculous amount of money if a pot is not worth it, but I have been happy with these so far. Can you buy good pots somewhere online, or do you have to know where to go or have some kind of connection?

+ Post Reply