I just got a new video in the mail and it's been very helpful. Can't wait to try some of the new stuff out on the next pot.
Today, I had a long day at work (proofs not working out...ugh, and I sort of hate working with differentials) - I was excited to get home and work on the base of my teapot!:
Which I completed. The video I got in the mail has all kinds of obvious (but not obvious) things like: don't use slip to seal up something you're just going to carve off later
well DUH! The next time I make a base I'll get that right.
Also, making and empty hollow "clay pod" is *essential.* It's what helps keep it round! I think that's (one) of my problems. I'm intimidated by the process. Butt now that I've seen 3 people do it in videos I think I can try.
Here is what I did with the top, I was able to add a lip:
but it came at a price:
Now, the handle is too low! And the spout is at the wrong angle (not flush with the body... would not pour smooth)
I want to add, that though I didn't photograph them my spout holes were really nice. In fact, I will take a photo before I recycle it, just to compare to later. So between all these flaws I decided, debunix is right, not to suffer making a lid for a not-round pot. I'll start a new one. For now, it gets to sit on the shelf for a awhile before it gets recycled.