2013 Dayi 7542


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby chin » Apr 26th, '13, 08:49

not only 7542 ..... the dayi yi wu is crazy too ..... on sale july 2012 last year at RMB 380 per cake .... now after 9mths ... price at RMB 650 per cake
chin
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Dec 6th, '1

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby JakubT » Apr 26th, '13, 09:16

apache wrote:
JakubT wrote:The Snake cake is quite good, at least...


I might try this at weekend see whether it is good.
I'm not impressed by 2012 Year of the Dragon cake though.


Yup, me neither. I thought it to be the worst piece of the Zodiac series by far...

I think that the Snake is really too young still, but after having Nannuo from Wistaria, I see some taste aspects shared by these and I think that the Snake could go in that direction, which would be very nice.
JakubT
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Jan 4th, '1
Location: Prague

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby shah82 » Apr 26th, '13, 17:55

Keep puerh tea in mind reading this...

http://theleisuresociety.tumblr.com/pos ... ying-trade
shah82
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby gasninja » Apr 27th, '13, 12:43

Does any one know the reason for the drastic price increase? Is it due to environmental factors ,demand, or is Dayi trying to market them as the latest fashion accessories that every Pravda/ Louis Vuitton loving label whore must own. :lol:

I honestly don't have much interest in hot off the press Dayi accept for occasional cakes of note such as the Jin Dayi, Golden age and the like. But Dayi on its own is large enough to have a huge effect on the whole Puerh market. So I am interesed as to what the root cause is.
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby shah82 » Apr 27th, '13, 13:09

Prada! As in the Devil Wears Prada, not Pravda, which the Devil is allergic to!

One chinese blog post hypothesized that it's folks from the far north, in Manchuria, etc, just getting into the game. I doubt that, though I can imagine it fitting in with the traditional diet of people living there.
shah82
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby gingkoseto » Apr 27th, '13, 13:21

gasninja wrote:Does any one know the reason for the drastic price increase? Is it due to environmental factors ,demand, or is Dayi trying to market them as the latest fashion accessories that every Pravda/ Louis Vuitton loving label whore must own. :lol:

I honestly don't have much interest in hot off the press Dayi accept for occasional cakes of note such as the Jin Dayi, Golden age and the like. But Dayi on its own is large enough to have a huge effect on the whole Puerh market. So I am interesed as to what the root cause is.

There are many other guesses, such as hot money speculation on dayi tea (might be manipulated by dayi itself or political power behind it...)
But one obvious relevant thing is the gifting culture in China. When you gift somebody for political or business reasons, it's important that the gift makes him feel good about himself and about you. It's not important how good the gift really is. Many high end dayi teas are considered decent gift. But if you try to gift somebody with, say, douji ancient tree products, which is obviously more valuable than most dayi products, chances are the recipient would think it's just an unknown, plain, cheap product. Most people in political and business power are too busy to get themselves cultured in tea. They probably know dayi just because dayi spent millions of dollars advertising on the No.1 TV channel in China.

In some way, it's like in US, I no longer dare to make explicit comments about Starbucks coffee in face-to-face conversations. I didn't realize it before, but have realized now that many people are hypnotized into believing Starbucks is the best coffee in the world and the coolest coffee hub :roll: Then any negative comments on Starbucks would seem an insult to their belief and taste :P
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby apache » Apr 27th, '13, 13:32

gingkoseto wrote:... many people are hypnotized into believing Starbucks is the best coffee in the world and the coolest coffee hub :roll: Then any negative comments on Starbucks would seem an insult to their belief and taste :P


McDonald's and KFC are the finest restaurants ... :mrgreen:
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby mr mopu » Apr 27th, '13, 16:24

But you left out Burger King it must be the best because it's a King! :lol:
mr mopu
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Feb 17th, '

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby apache » Apr 27th, '13, 17:18

JakubT wrote:
apache wrote:
JakubT wrote:The Snake cake is quite good, at least...


I might try this at weekend see whether it is good.
I'm not impressed by 2012 Year of the Dragon cake though.


Yup, me neither. I thought it to be the worst piece of the Zodiac series by far...

I think that the Snake is really too young still, but after having Nannuo from Wistaria, I see some taste aspects shared by these and I think that the Snake could go in that direction, which would be very nice.


Tried the Snake today, yes it is better than Dragon. I think it taste a bit like Dragon Mark (Longyin). I might post some pic in a latter day. I will put it aside and try again in 6 or 12 months time.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby apache » Apr 27th, '13, 17:22

Saw these two articles (in Chinese) sometime ago, I don't know whether they are fact or fiction, anyhow these might explain why the price rises in the last 12 months.

Everyone speculate on Dayi:
http://www.puercn.com/puerchanews/hyxw/43710.html

Dayi Snake cake:
http://www.puercn.com/puerchanews/news/43135.html


Regarding retail pricing, I saw this on HK Tea Forum:
http://www.hkteaforum.com/forum.php?mod ... 3D1&page=2

A tea trader said he got 7542 1301 for 3555 rmb per box from Menghai TF, but the 8000 rmb price was set by the market condition and it wasn't set by Dayi. There were actual tradings at that price at that time. If no one was buying, the price would drop.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby gasninja » Apr 27th, '13, 17:37

gingkoseto wrote:
But one obvious relevant thing is the gifting culture in China. When you gift somebody for political or business reasons, it's important that the gift makes him feel good about himself and about you. It's not important how good the gift really is. Many high end dayi teas are considered decent gift. But if you try to gift somebody with, say, douji ancient tree products, which is obviously more valuable than most dayi products, chances are the recipient would think it's just an unknown, plain, cheap product. Most people in political and business power are too busy to get themselves cultured in tea. They probably know dayi just because dayi spent millions of dollars advertising on the No.1 TV channel in China.

I can see gifting as being relevant for there special releases. But the 7542 is a standard recipe. I would not think that it would have as great of a gifting value. I would say speculation or environmental issues would be at the root of it. Does any one know what the weather has been like in Banna this spring?
User avatar
gasninja
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Mar 10th, '
Location: Mount Zion

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby apache » Apr 27th, '13, 17:56

Just did a very quick price check, almost all Dayi shengs I ordered in the last few months price was doubled regardless of the vintage, except shu.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby apache » Apr 27th, '13, 17:59

gasninja wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:
But one obvious relevant thing is the gifting culture in China. When you gift somebody for political or business reasons, it's important that the gift makes him feel good about himself and about you. It's not important how good the gift really is. Many high end dayi teas are considered decent gift. But if you try to gift somebody with, say, douji ancient tree products, which is obviously more valuable than most dayi products, chances are the recipient would think it's just an unknown, plain, cheap product. Most people in political and business power are too busy to get themselves cultured in tea. They probably know dayi just because dayi spent millions of dollars advertising on the No.1 TV channel in China.

I can see gifting as being relevant for there special releases. But the 7542 is a standard recipe. I would not think that it would have as great of a gifting value. I would say speculation or environmental issues would be at the root of it. Does any one know what the weather has been like in Banna this spring?


Yes, I think gift would only affect top end stuffs, shouldn't be the humble 7542. We will know in a few years time whether this is a bubble or else.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby gingkoseto » Apr 27th, '13, 20:36

gasninja wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:
But one obvious relevant thing is the gifting culture in China. When you gift somebody for political or business reasons, it's important that the gift makes him feel good about himself and about you. It's not important how good the gift really is. Many high end dayi teas are considered decent gift. But if you try to gift somebody with, say, douji ancient tree products, which is obviously more valuable than most dayi products, chances are the recipient would think it's just an unknown, plain, cheap product. Most people in political and business power are too busy to get themselves cultured in tea. They probably know dayi just because dayi spent millions of dollars advertising on the No.1 TV channel in China.

I can see gifting as being relevant for there special releases. But the 7542 is a standard recipe. I would not think that it would have as great of a gifting value. I would say speculation or environmental issues would be at the root of it. Does any one know what the weather has been like in Banna this spring?

If dayi as a brand has the popularity, anything from it can be popular. A plastic handbag of LV or nylon bag of prada could cost thousands of dollars and those who buy it really enjoy spending money :P
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Re: 2013 Dayi 7542

Postby quikstep » Apr 27th, '13, 21:00

apache wrote:Just did a very quick price check, almost all Dayi shengs I ordered in the last few months price was doubled regardless of the vintage, except shu.


i consider myself striking gold bcos i'm successfully received 10x 7542 201 those of the 150g variant for rmb 48 each :D . it's now off the shelves on dayi's taobao site.

1.5kg special recipe vs 900g of standard stuff. pure satisfaction.
quikstep
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Apr 18th, '

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation