Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Apr 29th, '13, 10:51

Re: Shawn McGuire (GREENWOODSTUDIO)

by debunix » Apr 29th, '13, 10:51

Yes, a small Nakao guinomi. It's not only tiny, but it also is very thin-walled, so it works best with cooler brewed teas made in tiny quantities--something I don't do often, and maybe between this perfectly sized little shibo and the gyokuro OTTI it will get more use.

Apr 29th, '13, 16:29

by Peacock » Apr 29th, '13, 16:29

Lovely pictures shawn and I yearn for my backyard to look like that. Debunix, how much does the tetsuaki guinomi hold? 1 ounce?

Apr 30th, '13, 00:42

by debunix » Apr 30th, '13, 00:42

About 55 mL to the brim, 40 mL comfortably. That's why the little shibo is a perfect companion.

May 10th, '13, 16:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Running for Tea » May 10th, '13, 16:08

After admiring the teaware on this thread for weeks, I finally decided I should aquire some for myself. I believe it was Chip who had mentioned something about coming across a piece of teaware that "speaks" to you. Up until recently, I had never had such an experience. That being said, this chawan called out to me :shock:

After seeing it, I knew I had to have it! The chawan is stunning in person, and no photo could do it justice. It has seen a good deal of use in the short time I have had it, and it will continue to be a cherished piece of teaware for many years to come.
IMG_0838-1.JPG
IMG_0869-1.JPG
I look forward to admiring and aquiring additional teaware from Shawn :mrgreen:

May 10th, '13, 16:38

by Devoted135 » May 10th, '13, 16:38

Running for Tea wrote:After admiring the teaware on this thread for weeks, I finally decided I should aquire some for myself. I believe it was Chip who had mentioned something about coming across a piece of teaware that "speaks" to you. Up until recently, I had never had such an experience. That being said, this chawan called out to me :shock:
Beautiful piece, and multi-talented! Watch out, once you start hearing the teaware, it's hard to stop listening! 8)

For example, this awesome shib and guinomi "set" called to me. :) I'm out on the porch enjoying them right now.
Afternoon gyokuro by Devoted135, on Flickr

May 10th, '13, 20:39

by JRS22 » May 10th, '13, 20:39

Running for Tea wrote:I look forward to admiring and aquiring additional teaware from Shawn :mrgreen:
I was admiring that chawan when I was mulling over the selection of small green gaiwans. It deserved a good home. Now I'm thinking about a tiny shib to add to my collection of tiny teaware.
Last edited by JRS22 on May 11th, '13, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, '13, 15:15

by Running for Tea » May 11th, '13, 15:15

Devoted135 wrote:
Beautiful piece, and multi-talented! Watch out, once you start hearing the teaware, it's hard to stop listening! 8)

For example, this awesome shib and guinomi "set" called to me. :) I'm out on the porch enjoying them right now.
Thanks! Your guinomi pairs very well with your little shib :D
JRS22 wrote:Now I'm thinking about a tiny shib to add to my collection of tiny teaware.
The more photos of those shibs I see, the more and more appealing they look!

May 11th, '13, 17:20

by GreenwoodStudio » May 11th, '13, 17:20

Thanks for the postings, all. :)

Been a crazy week finishing work for the next wood fire, getting wood, cleaning shelves, etc., blah blah blah. We loaded all the pots today (which we usually do in 2 days) and I'm whipped! Nap time.

May 31st, '13, 13:49

by GreenwoodStudio » May 31st, '13, 13:49

I'm finally feeling caught up from the long firing process. Kiln is unloaded and I'm getting myself motivated to start photographing the new stuff.

I concentrated almost exclusively on celadon glazes this firing and got some work that I feel was successful, and in the range of what I'm looking for from wood fire celadon.

I'm going to have to tweek my lighting a bit to get the actual color of these to photograph as they are looking a little washed out here. They are actually a nice subtle blue/green in true light. You can see the color of the glaze where it is thicker and pooled.

I revisited this form with porcelain. These came out pretty sweet.

Here's a couple examples of porcelain porcelian cups, more loosely thrown and with the addition of feldspar "chunks" which I processed/milled down to a appropriate size. These inclusions create an effect similar Shigaraki clay but white-on-white in color. The small pearls of feldspar melt out of the body. I was looking to dirty up the porcelain so it would have a more natural feel and not so perfect.
This one has a cool iron spot :)
Another variation with cobalt brushwork, love it when it flows like this!
Another thing I was looking for from a celadon what a glaze that did not "fit" the clay body as well, so that it would craze a bit and therefore stain with use. My old celadon glaze did not craze much at all. Mission accomplished :P
Here's one that I've been using. It stain fairly rapidly. I've only used this cup in a couple of tea sessions so far.

May 31st, '13, 13:54

by GreenwoodStudio » May 31st, '13, 13:54

<edit>

May 31st, '13, 14:57

by debunix » May 31st, '13, 14:57

Some really subtle and beautiful celadon effects in those. Sweet.

May 31st, '13, 16:56

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » May 31st, '13, 16:56

I appreciate every one of the pieces you posted. Very nice! Blessings on the beautiful work and the pursuit of your craft!

May 31st, '13, 17:46

by victoria3 » May 31st, '13, 17:46

Beautiful pieces, thanks for posting.

May 31st, '13, 17:56

by Peacock » May 31st, '13, 17:56

Hey Shawn,

Are these going up on etsy?

May 31st, '13, 21:43

by GreenwoodStudio » May 31st, '13, 21:43

Thanks folks. I'm glad you appreciate them.

Yes, Peacock. I'm doing photos now and they'll be lot of new stuff there soon :D

+ Post Reply