Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 28th, '13, 21:43

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by minor_glitch » Apr 28th, '13, 21:43

futurebird wrote:God... can you imagine how long you'd be up after that? :lol:
About as long as the ambulance ride to the hospital!

Apr 29th, '13, 08:20

by thirst » Apr 29th, '13, 08:20

A few days or so ago, my first package from Teaspring arrived, with this spring’s Yang Yan Gou Qing, Meng Ding Gan Lu, and Meng Ding Huang Ya (a yellow.) These are also the first greens I've had where I've known from what year they are.

It's interesting how absolutely different these taste from any of the Chinese green teas I've had before! (Those have mostly been from Teegschwendner.) But they also taste similar to each other (I should probably always put a disclaimer under my posts how **** my palate is, haha). I should probably taste them side by side, soon.

Apr 29th, '13, 10:11

by BrooklynBrew » Apr 29th, '13, 10:11

Chun Mee Dao Ming from Upton. I've had this for a couple months and I have forgotten about it. I want to drink through this bag, although I am grumpy it's not Japanese!

I did have some Yamamotoyama Fukamushi (the more high end version from them) this morning. I got some to keep at my boyfriend's place since I just have a western pot and a stainless steel pan to boil water (his place is very small and he's a coffee drinker). The tea is perfect for my mornings over there. Really delicious.

Apr 29th, '13, 10:37

by Muadeeb » Apr 29th, '13, 10:37

BrooklynBrew wrote:Chun Mee Dao Ming from Upton. I've had this for a couple months and I have forgotten about it. .
I got this one from Upton a while back, but I'm not a fan of smoky teas, which I find to be the case for a lot of Chinese Greens.

Apr 29th, '13, 10:44

by BrooklynBrew » Apr 29th, '13, 10:44

Muadeeb wrote:
BrooklynBrew wrote:Chun Mee Dao Ming from Upton. I've had this for a couple months and I have forgotten about it. .
I got this one from Upton a while back, but I'm not a fan of smoky teas, which I find to be the case for a lot of Chinese Greens.
Yeah, it's like gunpowder, which I like okay, but I've been converted to Japanese greens for the most part. I have tons of that coming in the mail in May. I just hate spending money on something like tea and just letting it go stale.

Apr 29th, '13, 13:32

by JRS22 » Apr 29th, '13, 13:32

I'm enjoying a session of my beloved Sencha Otsuusan Karigane from O-Cha. Even though it's a recently ordered and opened 2012 tea it's fresh and delicious and will tide me over until the 2013 Otsuusan and the Teachat Shincha OTTI are available!

Apr 29th, '13, 13:38

by JRS22 » Apr 29th, '13, 13:38

Muadeeb wrote:
I dislike and simply won't drink smoky teas. I suspect that except for the Chinese greens where smokiness is intentional it reflects problems with preparation of the tea such as too much time in the wok. My favorite vendors for Chinese greens are Jing Tea Shop and Seven Cups and teas I purchase from them that aren't described as smoky aren't.

Apr 29th, '13, 15:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 29th, '13, 15:50

BrooklynBrew wrote:Chun Mee Dao Ming from Upton. I've had this for a couple months and I have forgotten about it. I want to drink through this bag, although I am grumpy it's not Japanese!
:mrgreen:
JRS22 wrote:I dislike and simply won't drink smoky teas.
... especially greens!

Apr 29th, '13, 16:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 29th, '13, 16:01

Finishing 2012 harvest Sencha with a medley of Ippodo selections ... prompted by a visit to their NYC location celebration.

Listed in ascending cost order:

Sencha-Ko ... a form of Konacha. Amazingly I do not ever recall having a Konacha. I felt I had to correct this oversight. Overcomplicating the brewing of this one usually ends up bitter. Simple brewing yields quite satisfactory results.

Hosen ... finding I quite like this brewed at a similar high ratio like they recommend. Brewing hotter at 172* in a non preheated kyusu. Quite a nice everyday selection.

Kumpu ... Mixed results ... very good at times and OK others. I actually liked the Hosen more ... oddly. This was the first bag I opened so maybe I was off a bit in my brewing.

Kaboku ... clearly the best of the bunch. Wish I had more ... just finishing off the bag.

Apr 29th, '13, 17:08

by BrooklynBrew » Apr 29th, '13, 17:08

Chip wrote:Finishing 2012 harvest Sencha with a medley of Ippodo selections ... prompted by a visit to their NYC location celebration.

Listed in ascending cost order:

Sencha-Ko ... a form of Konacha. Amazingly I do not ever recall having a Konacha. I felt I had to correct this oversight. Overcomplicating the brewing of this one usually ends up bitter. Simple brewing yields quite satisfactory results.

Hosen ... finding I quite like this brewed at a similar high ratio like they recommend. Brewing hotter at 172* in a non preheated kyusu. Quite a nice everyday selection.

Kumpu ... Mixed results ... very good at times and OK others. I actually liked the Hosen more ... oddly. This was the first bag I opened so maybe I was off a bit in my brewing.

Kaboku ... clearly the best of the bunch. Wish I had more ... just finishing off the bag.
All of that sounds delicious. I've had the Kaboku and I enjoyed it. I think I have a bag of Hosen or something in that neighborhood at home which I've yet to open.

Apr 29th, '13, 20:10

by sherubtse » Apr 29th, '13, 20:10

Chip wrote:Finishing 2012 harvest Sencha with a medley of Ippodo selections ... prompted by a visit to their NYC location celebration.

Ippodo has a very interesting discussion of konacha on their website:

https://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/kyoto/sho ... cid=sencha

Wish I had known about it when I placed my recent order.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Apr 30th, '13, 09:21

by BrooklynBrew » Apr 30th, '13, 09:21

Gyokuro from Horaido. Getting much better at brewing this thanks to reading posts here. I can get four infusions easy now. Going to try for a fifth.

Apr 30th, '13, 10:33

by AdamMY » Apr 30th, '13, 10:33

Duel weilding right now, got some Yame Gyokuro going, and in the other hand I am sipping day two of 80s Loose leaf puerh.

Apr 30th, '13, 10:55

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Apr 30th, '13, 10:55

AdamMY wrote:Duel weilding right now, got some Yame Gyokuro going, and in the other hand I am sipping day two of 80s Loose leaf puerh.
Haha...that's insane.

May 1st, '13, 08:52

by David R. » May 1st, '13, 08:52

I finally had the time to go to a shop that opened up in Paris a year ago, dealing with high-end sencha : Yasu Kakegawa.

Brought bag some 10g tea bags of different cultivars (3 different Koshun, Sôfû and Kondo-wase). Here's the Sôfû :
Attachments
29.JPG
29.JPG (18.9 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
28.JPG
28.JPG (15.47 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
26.JPG
26.JPG (12.68 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

+ Post Reply