Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 4th, '13, 22:52

Re: Official Pu of the day

by gasninja » May 4th, '13, 22:52

seollasido wrote:Going through my YS order... slowly but surely.

I drank the 2002 Yong Pin Hao sample just now (6g in a 80ml pot). The flavor is... interesting, it had a tamer version of flavors that I'd associate with younger sheng (specifically the sweetness) without much of what I'd expect from other Yi wu sheng from this age (Golden Unicorn from Bana or the Zipin from Wisteria). Very curious now since I also do have a 2004 sample to compare this with too, so I guess I'm now looking forward to trying this next.

The tea also lasted quite a bit, going through over ten infusions before having to have it infuse for many minutes at a time. Decent energy too.
How is the golden unicorn I have been thinking of trying that.

May 4th, '13, 22:58

by gasninja » May 4th, '13, 22:58

Oh and kind of a backwards tea line up today

Orange in orange 7532 for breakfast

Yancha for lunch

2011 EOT Mannuo for dinner

Single barrel rye for desert :wink:

May 5th, '13, 00:04
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » May 5th, '13, 00:04

lordsbm wrote:
Keiki wrote:I also have that cake and I am drinking it today... I also found that it has chaqi, it was more noticeable on an empty stomach :P sometimes I would feel a pleasant numbness after drinking this. I became quite fond of its taste after a while but I didn't like it in the beginning. Thanks for your tasting notes Puerhking, as a newbie I would describe it as hay and maybe "woody" lol :lol:
LYH is labeled as tuition tea in China online tea community. This just shows it doesn't matter what others says. The truth is in your own taste and experience. As long as you enjoyed it, worth the money spent, it's good tea. :lol:
Relative few puerh drinkers in China gave negative feedback about LYH before 2010. In recent years there are a lot more negative feedback. I don't know if it's because of their tea of recent years or other reasons. But I haven't got any free LYH samples yet :mrgreen:

May 5th, '13, 00:15

by shah82 » May 5th, '13, 00:15

LYH seemed to get tuition tea label in the West about 2008. Some of the older teas, like certain commemorative bricks were well received, but some of the later tea were mercilessly mocked, particularly for the cheesy names.

May 5th, '13, 04:22

by lordsbm » May 5th, '13, 04:22

shah82 wrote:LYH seemed to get tuition tea label in the West about 2008. Some of the older teas, like certain commemorative bricks were well received, but some of the later tea were mercilessly mocked, particularly for the cheesy names.
Their tea before 2006 were decent. Recall they have a few good ones in 2003-2004. But from 2006 they start to mess up. I have a few 2006-2008 ones, they weren't good for the price (even though cheap). Some of the fake papers tasted even better.

But every now and then. even tuition tea makers make nice tea, just that people stopped trying them, so it goes on unknown.

May 5th, '13, 04:26

by lordsbm » May 5th, '13, 04:26

gingkoseto wrote:Relative few puerh drinkers in China gave negative feedback about LYH before 2010. In recent years there are a lot more negative feedback. I don't know if it's because of their tea of recent years or other reasons. But I haven't got any free LYH samples yet :mrgreen:
They started having inferior materials in between. The surface always look good, then you gets to the middle :lol: Typical tuition tea practices.

I have a few of their 06-08 tea, you can see how much they try to "mislead" consumer each year difference :lol:

The taste wise, it's drinkable, but more bland. You can get better tea elsewhere with the same money.

May 5th, '13, 15:49

by puerhking » May 5th, '13, 15:49

Totally agree that LYH is tuition tea. Bought it for $12 back in 09....and it's still $12! :lol: That says something.

2012 YS Man Zhuan -

Starts grainy but quickly turns towards tropical fruits. This stands out as unique among my other Yiwus. Chaqi is decent as is mouthfeel...I always enjoy this one.

May 6th, '13, 09:07

by apache » May 6th, '13, 09:07

2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version

I had a sample of this from YS and was very impressed by it. Then I ordered a cake on TB and this cake has been sitting my house for sometime till couple of days ago. I don't know what I made of that but certainly I'm not going to order another cake.

600 rmb for a 2006 gushu cake is very good value for money when you compare with the latest Dayi offerings. I really don't think this is a fake as it does taste like a Douji's cake.

However, one of two things I'm not very sure. It is not as interesting as the YS sample and on the whole this cake tastes a lot milder than the sample. I wonder if this due to different storage environment. Another thing is that the soup colour is a lot lighter than I would expect from a 7 year old cake even the spent leaves do show it has been aged for some years. Also I find the texture a bit thin. I ask myself would this cake age gracefully?

May 6th, '13, 09:19

by lordsbm » May 6th, '13, 09:19

apache wrote:However, one of two things I'm not very sure. It is not as interesting as the YS sample and on the whole this cake tastes a lot milder than the sample. I wonder if this due to different storage environment. Another thing is that the soup colour is a lot lighter than I would expect from a 7 year old cake even the spent leaves do show it has been aged for some years. Also I find the texture a bit thin. I ask myself would this cake age gracefully?
Guangzhou seller? If it is, then it's like that. The aroma seems to have dissolved too fast. I recently had mengku 2007 spring, that tasted flat, even though the leafs and brew seems to aged well. The leafs looked to be from spring too, but it just didn't have the taste of normal spring puerh liveliness. :lol:

edit: oh ya, I ended up using 100 Celsius water to bring out extra flavor/aroma from that mengku :lol:

The brew color seems to be slightly lighter for Guangzhou stored. Maybe the place they stored had some anti-humidity, but the tea is placed in places where it's too airy.

May 6th, '13, 09:53

by apache » May 6th, '13, 09:53

Yes, it is from 芳村. One day I should go there to have a field study of this famous pu trading centre.

May 6th, '13, 10:00

by lordsbm » May 6th, '13, 10:00

apache wrote:Yes, it is from 芳村. One day I should go there to have a field study of this famous pu trading centre.
I'm hoping to find time to go for Guangzhou Autumn Tea Expo in Nov :roll:

May 6th, '13, 10:04

by apache » May 6th, '13, 10:04

lordsbm wrote:
apache wrote:Yes, it is from 芳村. One day I should go there to have a field study of this famous pu trading centre.
I'm hoping to find time to go for Guangzhou Autumn Tea Expo in Nov :roll:
Looking forwards to your pics and report on that. :mrgreen:

May 6th, '13, 10:13

by lordsbm » May 6th, '13, 10:13

apache wrote:Looking forwards to your pics and report on that. :mrgreen:
lol just hope I really can go. Anyway, most likely I end up buying fewer tea than I buy off TB :lol:

Some of the online group sales have way better prices than those in retail. :roll:

edit: BTW since you buy from TB, if you are interested in group sales tea, there's one going on. The leafs look decent, a couple of the veteran reviewers said it's very good value for money.

Of cos don't expect high end products but it's arbor old tree. If interested let me know I'll pm you.

May 6th, '13, 10:35

by apache » May 6th, '13, 10:35

lordsbm wrote:
apache wrote:Looking forwards to your pics and report on that. :mrgreen:
lol just hope I really can go. Anyway, most likely I end up buying fewer tea than I buy off TB :lol:

Some of the online group sales have way better prices than those in retail. :roll:

edit: BTW since you buy from TB, if you are interested in group sales tea, there's one going on. The leafs look decent, a couple of the veteran reviewers said it's very good value for money.

Of cos don't expect high end products but it's arbor old tree. If interested let me know I'll pm you.
Yes, do PM me and I will have a look.

I don't have ££££ or $$$$ or ¥¥¥¥ for high end stuffs.

Talking about online group trading, since just over a week ago, there some frantic activity on HK Tea Forum. Some of the stuffs are $$$$$$$.
http://www.hkteaforum.com/forum.php?mod ... 3D1&page=1

I find it entertaining to watch. How could they still call it "小賣部"?

May 6th, '13, 10:48

by lordsbm » May 6th, '13, 10:48

apache wrote:Yes, do PM me and I will have a look.

I don't have ££££ or $$$$ or ¥¥¥¥ for high end stuffs.

Talking about online group trading, since just over a week ago, there some frantic activity on HK Tea Forum. Some of the stuffs are $$$$$$$.
http://www.hkteaforum.com/forum.php?mod ... 3D1&page=1

I find it entertaining to watch. How could they still call it "小賣部"?
pm you.

I avoid HK forum cos dun really get what some said in Canto :lol:

60K HKD = 10K SGD for 1 tuo :lol: The prices seems a bit too crazy for me. Paying such prices for something you can't be 100% sure, worst to a stranger :lol:

I stick to low end stuffs, especially buying from TB. My agent only send food products via sea. Anything can happen to the tea. Especially during China custom inspection. :roll:

+ Post Reply