Shudei Kyusu $5 at Den's

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 26th, '13, 12:29

Re: Shudei Kyusu $5 at Den's

by BrooklynBrew » Apr 26th, '13, 12:29

I went ahead and got this too (and some mecha and genmaicha with matcha) to keep at work. I think it's time to retire the metal basket infuser I use with a glass mug at work). I'll bring a proper cup from home and I'll be set!

Apr 27th, '13, 16:46

by MEversbergII » Apr 27th, '13, 16:46

Just got a second one (with green style kukicha and some more organic sencha)! This one is also for work, with the goal of also retiring my metal infuser (a tea ball :( ). I'll still be using a mug for the mean time, though.

M.

May 5th, '13, 20:46

by 5am » May 5th, '13, 20:46

I have to say, the more I use this little gem the more I love it. I hope it lasts for years :)

May 6th, '13, 14:05

by MEversbergII » May 6th, '13, 14:05

It is pretty neat, though it's not on their site at all anymore D:

M.

May 6th, '13, 16:57

by BrooklynBrew » May 6th, '13, 16:57

Can these be washed with soap? Not sure if I need to stick to one kind of tea for it. It's been great for my uses here at work.

May 6th, '13, 17:16

by 5am » May 6th, '13, 17:16

I feel like it's better not to mix roasted tea and sencha in this pot. Because this pot does absorb flavor. I rinse it with hot water after every use and don't leave tea leaves in it all afternoon. So far it's been perfect.

I would maybe use baking soda and hot water to clean it out if you ever need to do a deep clean and remove some residue. Let the baking soda sit and that can help with flavors imparted to the pot.

Sam

May 6th, '13, 17:26

by teaisme » May 6th, '13, 17:26

I wouldn't use dish washing detergent
really a quick rinse out of leaves, quick polish with cloth, then rinse with boiling water and let air dry is enough

You don't need to just stick with one type of tea, but cleaning it out well after each use is crucial if you plan to switch around teas.

Eventually you may want to boil it to clean out the little fragments that will get stuck in the filter. Don't try and pop it out like I did, very hard to get it to fit back on perfect :mrgreen:

May 6th, '13, 20:23

by Poohblah » May 6th, '13, 20:23

BrooklynBrew wrote:Can these be washed with soap?
I would strongly advise against it.

May 6th, '13, 20:51

by Remick » May 6th, '13, 20:51

Got confirmation today that Den's finally shipped my order. :mrgreen:

May 6th, '13, 21:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 6th, '13, 21:21

Since this Kyusu appears to have a "slip" applied to it giving it the glossy look, IMHO you could wash with soapy water, rinsing thoroughly of course. But I do not see the advantage in doing so.

This type of slip in inexpensive Kyusu seem to be for ease of care ... and I guess for anyone wanting a glossy Kyusu. For this same reason, I think this Kyusu could also be used without any difficulty for "cross-brewing" of various types of teas.

Just a good rinsing with very hot water should be all you need to do after each use. If you notice the pour has slowed, you can take a stiff toothbrush and scrub it a bit. I often do this when the screen is totally dry, any scale build-up just falls away.

May 6th, '13, 21:52
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 6th, '13, 21:52

Chip, Once again, you make sense & give good advice. Thanks.

May 7th, '13, 01:25

by Poohblah » May 7th, '13, 01:25

Chip wrote:Since this Kyusu appears to have a "slip" applied to it giving it the glossy look, IMHO you could wash with soapy water, rinsing thoroughly of course. But I do not see the advantage in doing so.

This type of slip in inexpensive Kyusu seem to be for ease of care ... and I guess for anyone wanting a glossy Kyusu. For this same reason, I think this Kyusu could also be used without any difficulty for "cross-brewing" of various types of teas.

Just a good rinsing with very hot water should be all you need to do after each use. If you notice the pour has slowed, you can take a stiff toothbrush and scrub it a bit. I often do this when the screen is totally dry, any scale build-up just falls away.
While I agree with you that it is probably safe, I also think that since the slip/glaze/whatever is not your usual silica-based glaze, it should be treated as being porous until shown otherwise... maybe some of the potters around here can chime in... :?:

May 7th, '13, 01:38

by Chip » May 7th, '13, 01:38

... having said all that and having owned an inexpensive slipped kyusu ... I have never used soapy water to clean ... nor would I. My lengthy experience with the Kyusu however led me to think one could wash it if truly needed with soapy water.

May 7th, '13, 10:48

by BrooklynBrew » May 7th, '13, 10:48

I haven't used soap with it yet. Nor have I done genmaicha or houjicha in it. It's just been sencha. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being overly cautious.

May 7th, '13, 11:03

by Chip » May 7th, '13, 11:03

BrooklynBrew wrote:I haven't used soap with it yet. Nor have I done genmaicha or houjicha in it. It's just been sencha. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being overly cautious.
Certainly if it is a higher end Kyusu ... which this is not ... you certainly will want to be much more cautious about what you put into it ... this Kyusu is made to be pretty carefree ... IMHO. I do not think it will retain much in aroma and taste, obviously with prompt and thorough rinsing after each use.

From time to time, run a tiny bottle brush in the spout to knock off build up which could effect flavors.

+ Post Reply