Official Pu of the day


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby apache » May 6th, '13, 10:53

lordsbm wrote:
apache wrote:Yes, do PM me and I will have a look.

I don't have ££££ or $$$$ or ¥¥¥¥ for high end stuffs.

Talking about online group trading, since just over a week ago, there some frantic activity on HK Tea Forum. Some of the stuffs are $$$$$$$.
http://www.hkteaforum.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=9912&extra=page%3D1&page=1

I find it entertaining to watch. How could they still call it "小賣部"?


pm you.

I avoid HK forum cos dun really get what some said in Canto :lol:

60K HKD = 10K SGD for 1 tuo :lol: The prices seems a bit too crazy for me. Paying such prices for something you can't be 100% sure, worst to a stranger :lol:

I stick to low end stuffs, especially buying from TB. My agent only send food products via sea. Anything can happen to the tea. Especially during China custom inspection. :roll:


It's in HK, that's the de facto lingo.

I think those people know each other as they meet at tea gatherings regularly.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby lordsbm » May 6th, '13, 10:57

apache wrote:It's in HK, that's the de facto lingo.

I think those people know each other as they meet at tea gatherings regularly.


学习了 :lol:
User avatar
lordsbm
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Feb 20th, '

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby tenuki » May 6th, '13, 19:22

1998 Fuhai from urchin. Does anyone else have this cake or tried it? Curious what you think.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby tenuki » May 6th, '13, 20:53

moving on to 2006 boyou 0506. yup, decent shu. still shu.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby TokyoB » May 6th, '13, 21:04

From EoT - 2010 Mr. Feng Shi Rei - tried the last of my sample. I found this tea very floral. The soup was orange but it still has the astringency of a fairly green tea. I quite enjoyed it though. It didn't have the thickness of the 2007 FD or the 2008 XT. The XT clearly had some more age on it but it was very quiet in terms of flavor. The ShiRei seemed to have a Menghai base with some Jingmai flavor on top. I think someone suggested this could be Mengsong. I did indeed have a Mengsong similar to this before.
User avatar
TokyoB
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Nov 19th, '
Location: US (mid-Atlantic)

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby MarshalN » May 6th, '13, 21:45

apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version

I had a sample of this from YS and was very impressed by it. Then I ordered a cake on TB and this cake has been sitting my house for sometime till couple of days ago. I don't know what I made of that but certainly I'm not going to order another cake.

600 rmb for a 2006 gushu cake is very good value for money when you compare with the latest Dayi offerings. I really don't think this is a fake as it does taste like a Douji's cake.

However, one of two things I'm not very sure. It is not as interesting as the YS sample and on the whole this cake tastes a lot milder than the sample. I wonder if this due to different storage environment. Another thing is that the soup colour is a lot lighter than I would expect from a 7 year old cake even the spent leaves do show it has been aged for some years. Also I find the texture a bit thin. I ask myself would this cake age gracefully?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Just had this myself recently, from the same source too, I think. I thought it was pretty decent. Not the greatest tea ever, but there are far worse ways of spending 600 RMB on a cake (say, on the Dayi Year of the Snake). How did you store your cake? Could it be you leaving it out for a year left it a bit less interesting?

http://www.marshaln.com/2013/04/two-teas/
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby tenuki » May 6th, '13, 22:02

apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version

I had a sample of this from YS and was very impressed by it. Then I ordered a cake on TB


I got this same cake in 2008 for 34 bucks ( either YS or PS, can't remember ) and rather liked it enough to get a few more. Sampled it the other day with some friends and it's aging nicely. I can't say for sure but I think my liquid was a bit redder/oranger than yours, been stored in a clay beeng jar the whole time with some other good quality shen.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby tenuki » May 6th, '13, 22:41

MarshalN wrote:
apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version


Just had this myself recently....

http://www.marshaln.com/2013/04/two-teas/


Oh man, how did I not know you had a blog?! ~adds to reader~

Good post, very interesting, I'll have to check my cakes next time I have them out to make sure they are spring.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby saxon75 » May 7th, '13, 01:31

2011 Jing Gu Mini Cake from YS. I like this one. Nicely smoky with a thick, creamy mouth feel. I think I pushed it a little too fast as it got more bitter in the middle infusions, but that mellowed out and was replaced with a pleasant huigan. I think I will pick up a tong of this, it's very nice and quite inexpensive.
saxon75
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Apr 2nd, '1

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby tenuki » May 7th, '13, 01:46

Keiki wrote:I am drinking


Hey, you play Go?
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby apache » May 7th, '13, 04:30

MarshalN wrote:
Just had this myself recently, from the same source too, I think. I thought it was pretty decent. Not the greatest tea ever, but there are far worse ways of spending 600 RMB on a cake (say, on the Dayi Year of the Snake). How did you store your cake? Could it be you leaving it out for a year left it a bit less interesting?

http://www.marshaln.com/2013/04/two-teas/


Yes, it is from the same source. I get it a few weeks before you so storage in my place shouldn't be a major factor. I find all the edges are gone but with nothing more interesting to replace them. I will put it inside a cardboard box for a few months see if it recover. I do question if Douji cakes would age well or could be just me don't like their aged taste profile.

Regarding the Snake cake, I got it soon after it been released, so it was a bit less than 1/3 of 600 rmb.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby apache » May 7th, '13, 04:35

tenuki wrote:
apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version

I had a sample of this from YS and was very impressed by it. Then I ordered a cake on TB


I got this same cake in 2008 for 34 bucks ( either YS or PS, can't remember ) and rather liked it enough to get a few more. Sampled it the other day with some friends and it's aging nicely. I can't say for sure but I think my liquid was a bit redder/oranger than yours, been stored in a clay beeng jar the whole time with some other good quality shen.


I'm always interested in other people storage results. This is encouraging.
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby apache » May 7th, '13, 04:38

tenuki wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version


Just had this myself recently....

http://www.marshaln.com/2013/04/two-teas/


Oh man, how did I not know you had a blog?! ~adds to reader~

Good post, very interesting, I'll have to check my cakes next time I have them out to make sure they are spring.


I think this should be:

"Oh man, how did we all not know you had a blog?!" :wink:
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby MarshalN » May 7th, '13, 04:51

apache wrote:
tenuki wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version


Just had this myself recently....

http://www.marshaln.com/2013/04/two-teas/


Oh man, how did I not know you had a blog?! ~adds to reader~

Good post, very interesting, I'll have to check my cakes next time I have them out to make sure they are spring.


I think this should be:

"Oh man, how did we all not know you had a blog?!" :wink:


I dunno, it's only been around for seven years
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2099
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby apache » May 7th, '13, 05:24

MarshalN wrote:
apache wrote:
tenuki wrote:
MarshalN wrote:
apache wrote:2006 Douji "Shengtai Gushu" spring version


Just had this myself recently....

http://www.marshaln.com/2013/04/two-teas/


Oh man, how did I not know you had a blog?! ~adds to reader~

Good post, very interesting, I'll have to check my cakes next time I have them out to make sure they are spring.


I think this should be:

"Oh man, how did we all not know you had a blog?!" :wink:


I dunno, it's only been around for seven years


"ONLY seven years"

I wonder how many of us living in the West were already drinking puerh seven years ago. Seven years of pu history might not be long in HK, but in the West it was the "Jurassic Period". :mrgreen:
User avatar
apache
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Apr 11th, '
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation