Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Stentor » May 1st, '13, 11:07

Thank you for sharing, David. I will make sure to stop by this shop the next time I'm in Paris!

The tea in the photo looks exceptional. Is it hand rolled?

User avatar Stentor
Scrolling: scrolling

Postby BrooklynBrew » May 1st, '13, 11:13

BrooklynBrew wrote:Chun Mee Dao Ming from Upton.

Doing this one at work. Working through the bag.

I've been able to play with the brewing a bit to get some sweetness out of this and it's really nice.

However, I have an order from Den's coming today with some meccha and genmaicha and I will have to try those later! :D

User avatar BrooklynBrew

Postby Suutej_Tsaj » May 1st, '13, 12:59

minor_glitch wrote:
futurebird wrote:God... can you imagine how long you'd be up after that? :lol:

About as long as the ambulance ride to the hospital!

- Oh my God, what happened to him?!
- I don't know! He kept repeating "Swedish tea time, ladies and gentlemen!" until he blacked out!

Anyway, I have just inaugurated Abracadaver's wonderful chawan with what remained of my Yame Gyokuro from O-Cha. With that, I have officially run out of Japanese tea. Time to reorder! :mrgreen:

User avatar Suutej_Tsaj

Postby AdamMY » May 1st, '13, 16:24

Working my way through Asanoaka, it is warm enough I decided to take out my large more open yunomi/ wans.

User avatar AdamMY
Contact AdamMY:

Postby Running for Tea » May 1st, '13, 17:45

Savoring the last of the Kuritawase sencha. A few more days and it will be gone, but I'll enjoy every steep until then!

User avatar Running for Tea

Postby debunix » May 2nd, '13, 01:27

Two Korean greens from Morning Crane Tea: Daejak and Jungjak, from the same grower, brewed and tasted side-by-side:

2.5 grams tea in small gaiwans--about 75mL to fill line, so 1 gram/30mL; both teas were small curled whole leaves, dark brownish green

first infusion, 160 degrees, 30 seconds: pale yellow liquors, both are a little light bodiesd, needed longer or more tea, vegetal, with a hint of toasted corn

30 seconds, same temp: now things are rich, warm, summer meadows, bit of toasted corn, a little floral, bitterness never even crossed my mind….mmmmmm--can't really tell a difference between these except maybe the Daejak tastes a little more roasted

170 degrees, 75 seconds: still sweet, warm/toasty, a little astringency or bitterness, shouldn't have let this one go so long but I got distracted

185 degrees, 60 seconds: the astringency/bitterness recedes, better timing on this one, summer meadow, a little spice but not bitterness, sweet and floral and very very nice--again, couldn't really tell the difference between these, but I'm really enjoying them both

One more at 190 degrees was getting a little light, time to end the session.

User avatar debunix
Contact debunix:

Postby David R. » May 2nd, '13, 07:30

Stentor wrote:Thank you for sharing, David. I will make sure to stop by this shop the next time I'm in Paris!

The tea in the photo looks exceptional. Is it hand rolled?

I don't think so. This dealer seems to specialize in very nice futsumushi sencha. They are not cheap, but not as expensice as temomicha either. These "new" cultivars like Sôfû and Kondo-wase are really interesting to taste if you want my opinion.

User avatar David R.
Contact David R.:

Postby BrooklynBrew » May 2nd, '13, 10:18

Drinking a sample of Sencha Shin-ryoku from Den's. It's pretty nice. More on the sweet side than the umami side, but I like both flavor profiles.

User avatar BrooklynBrew

Postby chado.my.teaway » May 2nd, '13, 13:26

XiHu Long Jing 2012. peanuts notes;) yummy;)

User avatar chado.my.teaway

Postby David R. » May 3rd, '13, 09:02

Sencha Tenryu 2009 (!) from Yasu Kakegawa : far better than some of the 2012 sencha I have tried... Very fruity.

Attachments
01.JPG
01.JPG (49.55 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
User avatar David R.
Contact David R.:

Postby BrooklynBrew » May 3rd, '13, 13:47

Den's Organic Genmaicha with Matcha. I am about ready to toss this out. This has zero flavor. I've had better genmaicha from a teabag.

User avatar BrooklynBrew

Postby Devoted135 » May 6th, '13, 13:58

Kuritawase from the recent NOTTI in my Seong-il hobin out of a Greenwoodstudios teacup. Perfect for this stormy afternoon! :)

User avatar Devoted135

Postby debunix » May 6th, '13, 18:44

Had a nice session with some Yip Cha from Morning Crane Teas--an 'everyday' green that was not as refined as the Dae Jak or Jungjak, but still quite nice.

User avatar debunix
Contact debunix:

Postby BrooklynBrew » May 7th, '13, 10:51

2013 Hashiri Shincha from Den's.

It's quite nice. Almost like the perfect tea to have in Spring. Flavor, but not too heavy. I prefer brewing this at a cooler temperature than the suggested hotter one Den has on the packaging. I felt that while the hotter temp gave me more aroma, I felt it made the taste really aggressive to the point where I couldn't really enjoy it.

User avatar BrooklynBrew

Postby Chip » May 7th, '13, 11:05

BrooklynBrew wrote:2013 Hashiri Shincha from Den's.

It's quite nice. Almost like the perfect tea to have in Spring. Flavor, but not too heavy. I prefer brewing this at a cooler temperature than the suggested hotter one Den has on the packaging. I felt that while the hotter temp gave me more aroma, I felt it made the taste really aggressive to the point where I couldn't really enjoy it.

:mrgreen: In my experience drinking tea brewed by Den, I sense he likes his sencha BOLD. :mrgreen:

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin

Today's Poll

Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest