Recommendation For Matcha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 2nd, '13, 17:04

Recommendation For Matcha?

by beforewisdom » May 2nd, '13, 17:04

My first exposure to matcha was from the brand Republic of Tea (Rot). I recently bought a second can from Den's Tea for about the same price and like it much better.

Would teachat.com's matcha experts care to recommend two different matcha purchases?

1. The absolute best tasting matcha to get and easy for newbie, price no object.

2. The absolute best tasting matcha for every day drinking, say ~$35 a purchase

Thanks

May 2nd, '13, 17:47

Re: Recommendation For Matcha?

by tenuki » May 2nd, '13, 17:47

posted this same info on other thread:

I get all my matcha from ippodo, that's after sampling most other vendors over the course of a few years. Den's and O-Cha are both good as well.

The ippodo starter set is a decent value.

http://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/kyoto/shop ... d=giftsets

May 4th, '13, 12:24

by piratesdrinktea » May 4th, '13, 12:24

I wouldn't consider myself an expert but, for question 2, I've found Ito En's "Teas' Tea Matcha" to be shockingly good, considering its $9.50 price tag for .7 ounces. What I believe to be the same matcha used to be priced a bit higher and wasn't under the Teas' Tea brand a while back. I would describe the flavor as very full, creamy, and vegetal, with zero bitterness. If you folks haven't tried it, it's certainly worth a shot at that price, which is listed as a sale price but has been that way for years.

I've also tried Ito En's higher-end Koto No Tsuki matcha ($19.50 for the same size, a koicha, or thick matcha, so not directly comparable, perhaps) that has an interesting herbaceous, almost minty aroma. Honestly, though, I actually preferred the cheaper stuff.

I may be biased towards Ito En since it's where I first discovered Japanese greens years ago, at their store in New York City that's since gone out of business.

Also had Zencha's Matcha Moe, which was a great deal if you need a lot of matcha (1.4 oz for $12.95, would be great to use as a high-end ingredient grade) but for me was much more bitter. Similarly, O-Cha's Kiri No Mori (1.05 oz for $14.14) provides a pretty good bang for the buck quantity-wise but wasn't my favorite. I'd like to try Zencha and O-Cha's higher end offerings, though, since I'm sure they're great (and the higher-end seems to be more what you're seeking).

You'll also want to consider the freshness aspect when ordering larger quantities - depending on how fast you drink it, you may be better off getting smaller amounts so it doesn't have a chance to lose freshness.

I've gotten Ippodo matcha and had a good experience with it as well, though I can't recall the particular variety - I actually bought it at a little shop in San Francisco's Japan Town.

May 8th, '13, 01:32

by ntan1 » May 8th, '13, 01:32

If you have access to San Francisco's Japan Town, then there is a small shop called Asakichi who sells matcha from Marukyuu Koyamaen. I've found their Matcha to often be better than Ippodo's.

May 8th, '13, 15:57

by Buzz Fledderjohn » May 8th, '13, 15:57

ntan1 wrote:If you have access to San Francisco's Japan Town, then there is a small shop called Asakichi who sells matcha from Marukyuu Koyamaen. I've found their Matcha to often be better than Ippodo's.
+1 for Marukyuu Koyamaen

My personal favorite...if you can find some. They don't make it easy for you.

Sep 28th, '13, 00:55

by matchagirlparis » Sep 28th, '13, 00:55

1. The absolute best tasting matcha to get and easy for newbie, price no object.
2. The absolute best tasting matcha for every day drinking, say ~$35 a purchase

Dont know absolute best, but I have one recommendation for both your questions. I do know that O-cha got this Tsuen Manten, it is my default matcha like perfect for daily matcha if your pockets can handle it. It is a perfect cup every time. The taste is balanced, so little bit of grassy, sweetness, creamy, veggie, foamy, it has light balanced flavor and texture of everything combined and is very delicious and calming when I drink it, I adore it.

But I do not know if it is "absolute best". My absolute best will be different from others. I still havent found my absolute best. It depends what you look for in the matcha. Every matcha is a different blend, so they mix different flavors to create a blend. Like a wine, different types of grapes and things to make a wine. If your taste buds prefer very creamy and sweet, then I would not choose Manten as absolute best. I would go for another. Reason I recommend Manten is because it is like a saftey net, it is VERY VERY balanced. If you drink that and you dont like it, then matcha is not for you LOL!!

if you are interested you can see my review
http://matchagirlparis.blogspot.fr/2013 ... hacom.html

Sep 28th, '13, 00:56

by matchagirlparis » Sep 28th, '13, 00:56

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
ntan1 wrote:If you have access to San Francisco's Japan Town, then there is a small shop called Asakichi who sells matcha from Marukyuu Koyamaen. I've found their Matcha to often be better than Ippodo's.
+1 for Marukyuu Koyamaen

My personal favorite...if you can find some. They don't make it easy for you.
Marukyu is absolutely wonderful. You just cant go wrong with this brand, everything is so delicious!!! It is so creamy, I love it. I am happy to see many people love it too!

And I am starting Ippodo soon cuz my order arrived. I am very curious to compare it with Marukyu. It is really going to be hard! :)

Oct 15th, '13, 20:30

by Teacup1980 » Oct 15th, '13, 20:30

I received a newsletter from Sugimoto (SA) today and found they started carrying organic matcha. Has anyone tried their matcha before?

http://www.sugimotousa.com/mm5/merchant ... y_Code=MC9

+ Post Reply