OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 17, AKA GY-OTTI 1

Postby victoria3 » Apr 25th, '13, 03:06

I am sooo please I participated in this Gyokuro Otti. I’ve had another tasting of #2 Maiko's Yamashita Jirushi & #3 O-Cha's Gyoku-Hou and both are fabulous again this second time around. I decided to up the leaf parameters with #2 & time with #3 to see what happens. I love the results both ways; rich, deep & lingering.

#3, O-Cha's Gyoku-Hou
wow this is one power house Gyokuro full flavor, slightly vegetal, rich & complex with depth. Lime green liquor. On 2nd steep, rich umami, warm subtle seaweed flavors, with sweet upper palate & lingering flavors.

1st - 5th Steeps using longer steep times on second try. Both ways work well.
5gr/ 2oz/ 130F/ 90sec & at 2min - wow love these deep flavors
2oz/ 140F/ 60sec & then at 90sec - rich umami, powerful again
2oz/ 150F/ 2min & then at 3min
2oz/ 160F/ 3min & then at 4min
2oz/ 175F/ 4min & then at 6 min

#2, Maiko's Yamashita Jirushi
I raised the leaf to water ratio from 5grams to 7grams for 2 ounces water and lowered the temperature a bit to130F. Wow super rich! Great flavors could also do 6grams/ 2oz/ 130F/ 2min next time. Yellow green liquor. A sweet lingering aroma & flavor palate, with soft long lasting complex sweetness.

1st - 5th Steeps using more leaf/lower temp/longer steep second time. I prefer more leaf ratio.
5g/ 2oz/ 140F for 90s: & then at 7g/ 2oz/ 130F/ 2min - rich, rich, rich
2oz/ 150F/ 45sec & then at 2.5/140/1min. - awesome again!
2oz/ 160F/ 90sec & then at 2.5/150/2min
2oz/ 170F/ 3.0min & then at 2.5/160/3.5min
2oz/180F/ 3.5min & then at 2.5/170/4min
victoria3

Postby victoria3 » Apr 30th, '13, 00:24

I've had a difficult time with #4 Den's Suimei. I did 4 different tastings at varying parameters, and every time a background bitter brassiness persists. Otherwise, it has a nice lingering palate, which is sweet, and has slight umami seaweed in background after the 2nd steep. The last tasting parameters were less astringent than the first two, 3.5gr/2.5oz/123F/130sec.
4-Den's-Suimei-Dry-Leaf.jpg
4-Den's-Suimei-Dry-Leaf.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 889 times

3 Tasting Parameters, Sequential
1st Steep:
5gr/2.5oz/112F/145sec, bitter brassy
4.5gr/2.5oz/120F/150sec, bitter brassy still
3.5gr/2.5oz/123F/130sec., flavorful but slight background bitterness & brassiness persists, nice lingering flavor otherwise.

2nd Steep:
120F/90sec; slight astringency/brassiness but tasty sweet, warm, slight green vegetal -- lingering sweet flavors.
130F/90sec., better very slight bitterness still
140F/80sec., thinner liquid, lighter flavor, less brassiness in background, sweeter, nice light lingering palate.

3rd Steep:
130F/3 minutes; lighter clear green liquid, slightly astringent in background. Lighter but still sweet & tasty. Slight seaweed in background.
140/2min, lighter, not bitter, sweet, thin
155F/2.5 min., liquor lighter again, sweet, slight seaweed umami background.

4th Steep:
150F/4 minutes; liquid still very nice green, nice balance, slight sweet to astringent background, warm, not brassy.
155F/ 3 min, very thin sweet flavor.
165F/ 3 min, let it run till I finished 4-5min., very light last steep for sure. Now boil for 15sec.

Bottom Line: a frustrating brew so far; slight brassy bitterness in background, very light thin liquor, although has nice lingering sweet umami. Vibrant green liquor.
victoria3

Postby Chip » May 2nd, '13, 21:43

victoria3 wrote:I've had a difficult time with #4 Den's Suimei.

This is not the easiest selection to get right, especially when amping the parameters.

Today on the road I brewed this one on the softer side, and I think this is best this way versus trying to do it at 2 grams per ounce.

So, I went with a ratio of 1.5:1, 6 grams in 4 ounces. This was an unusual volume for me to go with, but I did it more casual as well in a Kyusu versus the more focused Shib/Houhin. I cannot remember the last time I brewed 4 ounce steeps of Gyokuro.

Brewed with around 120* water for 90 seconds.

Bottom line, this was smoother, sweeter than the intense 2:1.

I seemed to have miss-brewed the 2nd steep, came out flat. But 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th steeps all came out quite nice.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby victoria3 » May 3rd, '13, 00:54

Chip wrote:
victoria3 wrote:I've had a difficult time with #4 Den's Suimei.

.... I went with a ratio of 1.5:1, 6 grams in 4 ounces....Brewed with around 120* water for 90 seconds.
Bottom line, this was smoother, sweeter than the intense 2:1.

Chip, looks like you arrived at almost the same parameters as I did, although you seem more pleased with the results. I began at 5/2.5 and worked my way down through several tastings to try and eliminate the bitter brassy background.
Victoria: 1.4:1 - 3.5gr/2.5oz/123F/130sec
Chip: 1.5:1 - 6.0gr/4.0oz/120F/90sec

I probably won't be buying this Gyokuro. On the other hand, just this morning I really enjoyed Den's Premium Fukamushi-Sencha Yame. After fooling arounds with parameters I nailed this one happily at 1.25:1 - 5gr /4oz/150F/1min, perfection! Rich deep flavorful. Dark cloudy liquor.  Sweetness & depth.
victoria3

Postby Running for Tea » May 3rd, '13, 09:10

victoria3 wrote:Victoria: 1.4:1 - 3.5gr/2.5oz/123F/130sec
Chip: 1.5:1 - 6.0gr/4.0oz/120F/90sec

I've been struggling with this one too. I'll try this ratio for the last of my sample
Running for Tea

Postby debunix » May 4th, '13, 13:51

Enjoying another session with #3--brewed per my good session parameters from this post, albeit changing quantities and brewing vessel and teacup a bit--1.5 grams for 45 mL water in a Greenwood Studios shibo and a Yoshiko Yamane Kazuwa guinomi.

Just as good as that last session, minus the chocolate.
debunix

Postby victoria3 » May 4th, '13, 15:53

debunix wrote:....in a Greenwood Studios shibo and a Yoshiko Yamane Kazuwa guinomi.

Nice combo!
victoria3

Postby Running for Tea » May 10th, '13, 15:54

Finally uploaded pictures from my iPhone and resized them. Sharing these is a great way for me to conclude GY-OTTI 1!

This was the beggining of the OTTI for me. This set up was a mix of both my cousins' and my teaware.
IMG_0693-1.JPG
IMG_0693-1.JPG (78.97 KiB) Viewed 735 times

Either gyokuro #2 or #3. I have this labeled as #2, but this may be the session where I mixed up sample 2 and 3.
IMG_0743-1.JPG
IMG_0743-1.JPG (55.16 KiB) Viewed 735 times

And we arrive at the grand finale! Here was my final gyokuro of this round. #1 in my ~4 oz houhin and my newly aquired chawan from Shawn McGuire (several other photos of this chawan are about to surface around the form) :mrgreen:
IMG_0867-1.JPG
IMG_0867-1.JPG (79.37 KiB) Viewed 735 times

This OTTI was a real eye-opener for me. It was a great way to enter the world of "good" gyokuro. I am looking forward to experiencing the higher grades of gyouro in the future rounds!
Running for Tea

Postby victoria3 » May 10th, '13, 17:06

Beautiful chawan Running for Tea, fits nicely also with your simple houhin.
victoria3

Postby Chip » May 11th, '13, 07:45

Thank you, everyone for the photos and reviews!

Running for Tea wrote:Finally uploaded pictures from my iPhone and resized them. Sharing these is a great way for me to conclude GY-OTTI 1!

This was the beggining of the OTTI for me. This OTTI was a real eye-opener for me. It was a great way to enter the world of "good" gyokuro. I am looking forward to experiencing the higher grades of gyouro in the future rounds!

GY-OTTI 2 ... yum.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » May 11th, '13, 10:15

Chip wrote:GY-OTTI 2 ... yum.

+1
JRS22

Postby BioHorn » May 14th, '13, 18:56

Den's No. 4 selection again. I dropped the heat a bit for the first brew and actually raised it a bit for the second steeping.
-1. 5grams at 110F for about 90 seconds. (50 ml or 1.7 ounces)
-2. 130 F for 30 seconds, a little more than half as much water.
This second infusion seems to hit at the heart of the tea.
Am going flavor overboard on thia one.
First impact was a quick wash of dried fish. It's forthcoming revealing grass and dandelion clippings couched by a hint of iodine and seaweed. (holding vessel smelled of strawberries)
-3. 140F 60 seconds, was also a decent parameter. I'll spare you the flavinoid description.

This particular tea is a bit precocious. It is quite a grassy and aggressive Gyo. I prefer the more chicken soup/ broth umami rich selections (O-cha comes to mind.)

Maybe this is heresy, but this would be interesting to visit after letting it sit a year.
EDIT: some grammar
BioHorn

Postby Chip » May 16th, '13, 15:33

UPDATE: Thes du Japon has shipped and is at Osaka International presently! I should have it in hand either this week or Monday! (best guess)

TdJ's second selection is as promised different and interesting ... and in keeping with the path chosen by the owners. I hope to receive some more specific info soon, but the selection is Yamakai cultivar grown in Ushizuma in the mountainous Honyama region of Shizuoka.

It is a non-fertilizer/pesticide grown tea ... so a old, traditional growing method with a newer cultivar.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Drax » May 22nd, '13, 09:55

JRS22 wrote:
puerhking wrote:I have to say that I've enjoyed all the samples. I would be happy to have any of them. They all seem to have their strengths. However I don't think I can render a real opinion without more tea.

I have noticed one nasty aspect of this tasting....I want to drink gyokuro everyday after dinner. I love its concentrated richness. And I don't want to buy any before shincha is released.

:shaking fist at Chip: :lol:

A few more gyokuro OTTIs and you may feel the need to change your forum name....

You must be Gyoking!

Okay, sorry, I was just catching up on this thread, and I couldn't resist...

Speaking of which, Chip, I think you meant to post your news above in the OTTI 18 thread, and not this one? :D
Drax

Postby BioHorn » May 30th, '13, 21:56

I would just like to thank Chip for putting together this great tasting. I for one prefer these higher grade tastings (I hope future gyo tastings can offer 3 brew opportunities. It would be even more ideal!) These smallish amounts makes the whole thing a little more manageable and caused me to pay more attention.

I rebrewed the Maiko offering (#2). This second attempt yielded a much more concentrated and brothy concentrate. My wife exclaimed, "I am drinking my vegetable stock!" Maybe I lowered the amount of water? The first try at this made a nice yet underwhelming gyo-stock.
1- 90sec/130F pretty dense liquor
2- 30sec/130F a reduced sauce
3- 60sec/140F reality sets back in
I continued on for two more times. Each being a bit less appealing. What is it about the let down in later gyo brews?
BioHorn

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions