Yunnanese black teas

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Dec 26th, '12, 14:40

Re: Yunnanese black teas

by amaranto » Dec 26th, '12, 14:40

Both, Tead Off :-)

AMH, it's from Adagio. Someone sent it to me as a gift. I just tried some from Red Blossom that tastes okay.

Dec 31st, '12, 18:22

by campfire » Dec 31st, '12, 18:22

Hey amaranto,

That's funny that you mention that about the Yunnan Gold from Adagio. The first time I had it, about 4 months ago I got a sample and it had that same fermented/foot taste/smell that you're describing. I actually had to throw the rest of the sample away because I couldn't stand it.

I since ordered another sample of the Yunnan Gold because of the reviews because I thought maybe I got a bad batch. Well, I was right, the most recent sample I got tasted a lot better and actually tasted like a Yunnan Gold should taste. Just thought I'd let you know!

Jan 1st, '13, 23:51

by amaranto » Jan 1st, '13, 23:51

Thanks so much for letting me know, campfire. I guess this happens every now and again. Glad to get that cleared up.

Mar 15th, '13, 06:32

by SlientSipper » Mar 15th, '13, 06:32

Hi, I realize this may have already been asked or something so I don't mind deleting this post after I get my answer but, how long does it take for Yunnan Sourcing to ship to West Coast US?
Its been about 12 days so far.

Oh so I remember the tracking number.
Its currently in San Francisco.

Oh okay I give it 2 or 3 more days.
I'm so excited.

This Mojiang looks great! I'll be sure to tell you about it.

May 17th, '13, 11:34

by MEversbergII » May 17th, '13, 11:34

YunnanSourcing.us is actually based in Oregon, if I'm not mistaken. Check there next time you order and see if they have what you're after.

M.

Aug 30th, '13, 14:07

by Komsip » Aug 30th, '13, 14:07

Yunnan Sourcing has very good variety of black teas from Yunnan.
Realize though that not all Yunnanese black teas are of the Yunnan Gold "Dian Hong" types. Some of my favorite black teas from Yunnan, which I bought from Yunnan Sourcing are not Yunnan Gold type teas at all.

Yi Mei Ren and "High mountain red" Ai Lao Mountain black tea are my two favorites. The first one is slightly more choclaty than the second, but both have strong flavor of dried figs, dried longan, just like finer non smoky versions of zhengshan xiaozhong or lapsang souchong.

Aug 30th, '13, 15:57

by amaranto » Aug 30th, '13, 15:57

Yi Mei Ren and "High mountain red" Ai Lao Mountain black tea are my two favorites. The first one is slightly more choclaty than the second, but both have strong flavor of dried figs, dried longan, just like finer non smoky versions of zhengshan xiaozhong or lapsang souchong.
These two sound great. I'm going to order some :D

Sep 1st, '13, 05:42

by Komsip » Sep 1st, '13, 05:42

amaranto wrote:
彝美人 Yi Mei Ren and "High mountain red" Ai Lao Mountain 哀牢山 black tea are my two favorites. The first one is slightly more choclaty than the second, but both have strong flavor of dried figs, dried longan, just like finer non smoky orthodox versions of Zhengshan Xiaozhong 正山小种 (Original mountain, small varietal) more well known from the local dialect name: Lapsang Souchong.
These two sound great. I'm going to order some :D
I love to take 3-5 leaves of smoky type Lapsang Souchong and mix it with these types of teas, specially the 哀牢山红茶 Ai Lao Mountain Red(Black) Tea the small smoke aroma added enhances the fruityness specially the 龙眼干 dried longan aroma and burnt sugar flavor gets enhanced from adding just a little smokiness.
Too much will just mask the flavors, and it will taste like a weak smoky Lapsang Souchong.

Sep 1st, '13, 11:45

by amaranto » Sep 1st, '13, 11:45

I love to take 3-5 leaves of smoky type Lapsang Souchong and mix it with these types of teas, specially the 哀牢山红茶 Ai Lao Mountain Red(Black) Tea the small smoke aroma added enhances the fruityness specially the 龙眼干 dried longan aroma and burnt sugar flavor gets enhanced from adding just a little smokiness.
Too much will just mask the flavors, and it will taste like a weak smoky Lapsang Souchong.
Sounds interesting. I have a couple of different Lapsangs on the way--one smoky and one not--, so it might be fun to try blends with a little of both.

Sep 3rd, '13, 11:00

by puerhking » Sep 3rd, '13, 11:00

Komsip wrote:Yunnan Sourcing has very good variety of black teas from Yunnan.
Realize though that not all Yunnanese black teas are of the Yunnan Gold "Dian Hong" types. Some of my favorite black teas from Yunnan, which I bought from Yunnan Sourcing are not Yunnan Gold type teas at all.

I agree that the Ai Lao is quite good and interesting. Also the Ye Sheng purple leaf and the light roast Wild tree purple leaf of Dehong are very unique and worth a try.

Sep 24th, '13, 15:14

by MEversbergII » Sep 24th, '13, 15:14

Komsip wrote:Yunnan Sourcing has very good variety of black teas from Yunnan.

I just got a large bag of Yunnan Gold from there yesterday. So far so good! It definitely has a distinct flavor from the "Classics 58" I've gotten from Pu'er shop.

I prepared it 5.5g to 250ml of water, at ~95C for 90 seconds.

This style black tea, if done a little stronger, would be a good candidate for adding things into. It reminds me of less strong Assam I've had before (Assam tea fannings from a local place). Is Yunnan Gold done with Assamaca variety C. Senensis?

M.

+ Post Reply