Why Do You Drink Tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

May 16th, '13, 20:43

Why Do You Drink Tea?

by John Delaney » May 16th, '13, 20:43

I was thinking about this question today and was curious why everyone out there chooses to drink tea over other options? So if you have the time, please share with us why you choose to drink tea over other options and where it ranks on your beverage list?

May 16th, '13, 21:12
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Why Do You Drink Tea?

by Chip » May 16th, '13, 21:12

I reallllly enjoy brewing tea ... and someone has to drink it!

I love the variety of tea available. :mrgreen:

I enjoy the connection to the tea cultures.

Also, I cannot even take a sip of coffee without gagging. 8)

And it seemed like a good healthy alternative to just about any other beverage which was actually very important to me when I started to seriously drink tea.

May 16th, '13, 21:16

by John Delaney » May 16th, '13, 21:16

Chip wrote:I reallllly enjoy brewing tea ... and someone has to drink it!

I love the variety of tea available. :mrgreen:

I enjoy the connection to the tea cultures.

Also, I cannot even take a sip of coffee without gagging. 8)

And it seemed like a good healthy alternative to just about any other beverage which was actually very important to me when I started to seriously drink tea.
Thanks for the response. So for you, you started drinking tea for health reasons and then got addicted for the other reasons you listed: variety, the process, learning about new cultures, etc.?

May 16th, '13, 21:22

by Chip » May 16th, '13, 21:22

Well, I would say the last 3 reasons were the primary reasons prior to starting.

I instantly realized I enjoyed brewing and was overwhelmed positively by the variety. So maybe the first two then kept me on board.

May 16th, '13, 22:16

by debunix » May 16th, '13, 22:16

I like it. Nice flavor, a bit of a lift from caffeine, and a pleasant ritual, plus sipping helps also with saying awake in some boring (work-related) settings.

Milk is probably more fundamental to me, as of course is water, but I drink more tea by volume than any other beverage.

May 17th, '13, 02:16

by tecnanaut » May 17th, '13, 02:16

I like the idea of man cultivating nature in such a humble way that we brew leaves and make a delicious liquid. The taste is the number one reason, and not just taste of tea. So far during my short year long tea journey I'm amazed at how much my taste buds have evolved. I can't stand any junk food or anything nuked with additives anymore. I'm by no means a healthy person, but I find myself going for more natural food.

The cultural aspect is another big plus. Inevitably, you not only learn about tea, but about the places and people that produce it.

May 17th, '13, 08:43

by MEversbergII » May 17th, '13, 08:43

I enjoy the variety, the history, the culture, the flavor and the health benefits.

M.

May 17th, '13, 13:49

by teaisme » May 17th, '13, 13:49

for me it's also nice to know love, centuries of honed skills, and hard work went into that cup

hard pressed to find another hydrating beverage where so much effort and energy has been devoted to it

And even better that in exchange all we have to do is give 'currency'. We are lucky dogs. What a trade. :mrgreen:

May 17th, '13, 15:08

by Peacock » May 17th, '13, 15:08

Because not even in a lifetime can I say, "I know everything" about tea.

May 17th, '13, 18:46

by John Delaney » May 17th, '13, 18:46

tecnanaut wrote:I like the idea of man cultivating nature in such a humble way that we brew leaves and make a delicious liquid. The taste is the number one reason, and not just taste of tea. So far during my short year long tea journey I'm amazed at how much my taste buds have evolved. I can't stand any junk food or anything nuked with additives anymore. I'm by no means a healthy person, but I find myself going for more natural food.

The cultural aspect is another big plus. Inevitably, you not only learn about tea, but about the places and people that produce it.
Yep, I have heard several others comment about how drinking tea has improved their palate. I feel the same way as now I can't help but feel like I am taste testing everything I eat and drink.

May 17th, '13, 18:47

by John Delaney » May 17th, '13, 18:47

teaisme wrote:for me it's also nice to know love, centuries of honed skills, and hard work went into that cup

hard pressed to find another hydrating beverage where so much effort and energy has been devoted to it

And even better that in exchange all we have to do is give 'currency'. We are lucky dogs. What a trade. :mrgreen:
You should write Hallmark cards.

May 17th, '13, 20:28

by Devoted135 » May 17th, '13, 20:28

I could give a lot of answers, (brewing is fun, I have a serious case of TAD, it's a healthy alternative to juice/pop, it's a backlash against coffee culture) and all would have some level of truth in them.

But at the heart of it, I just love tea. It makes me happy. :D

Jun 4th, '13, 23:31

by caulfield » Jun 4th, '13, 23:31

I'm passionate about my hobby's--whether it is homebrewing, sushi or tea. I love the culture behind tea. There are so many types, varieties, history, etc. But, personally, drinking tea helps me to focus. It has become a habit. In the morning, it helps me wake up and when I'm working on something really stressful, it helps me to calm down and focus on a task.

Jun 5th, '13, 11:15

by John Delaney » Jun 5th, '13, 11:15

caulfield wrote:But, personally, drinking tea helps me to focus. It has become a habit. In the morning, it helps me wake up and when I'm working on something really stressful, it helps me to calm down and focus on a task.
I like this feature also. I can see why it was so popular with Buddhist Monks, poets, scholars, factory workers, etc. in the past. It really does calm you down and allow a relaxed focus.

+ Post Reply