May 18th, '13, 15:54

Western Style v. Eastern style brewing styles

by Kabouterke » May 18th, '13, 15:54

Hi! I'm new here... check out my personal introduction on the forum.

So, in the past few days I've read a lot on this forum about Western style and Eastern style methods. What does that mean exactly? Are you simply talking about the differences in teaware or are you also steeping times, temperatures, quantities, tea/water ratios, etc....?

Thanks for the clarification!

May 18th, '13, 16:02

Re: Western Style v. Eastern style brewing styles

by ole » May 18th, '13, 16:02

I would guess most people mean the more "gong fu cha" approach vs the more "British tea".

In essence most eastern styles use smaller brewing vessels than western, and normally a higher ratio of leaves to water, with shorter infusion time - and having multiple infusions of the same tea.

May 18th, '13, 16:08

by Kabouterke » May 18th, '13, 16:08

So, the brewing suggestions that are sometimes provided on tea packages... what would they be?

May 18th, '13, 16:43

by Joel Byron » May 18th, '13, 16:43

Generally speaking, the brewing suggestions on most tea packaging are Western style. If is says something like: 2-3 grams per 180 ml for 3-5 minutes, it's Western style.

May 18th, '13, 19:11

by debunix » May 18th, '13, 19:11

Kabouterke wrote:So, the brewing suggestions that are sometimes provided on tea packages... what would they be?
They would be exactly that, suggestions. I prefer my teas brewed more dilute and lower temp for more delicate flavor than most package suggestions--western or eastern--would yield. So I use them as only a gauge to suggest where I might want to start my brewing.

May 18th, '13, 19:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 18th, '13, 19:27

... Western ... Eastern ... and on TeaChat these two universes collide to produce what is sometimes referred to as semi gongfu style, a hybrid of east and west.

And then sometimes the lines get blurred anyway, grandpa style has Chinese roots, but soes not fit into the Western nor Eastern formulas.

It becomes apparent that it is not so simple to define, so we do speak in generalities when we say Western or Eastern ... however we do so rather exactly. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply