Project Origin Special Event: Aged BaoZhong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 23rd, '13, 04:16

Re: Project Origin Special Event: Aged BaoZhong

by Risdt » May 23rd, '13, 04:16

I kind of have to agree; the initial taste from the 10y old was really good, too bad it just faded too quickly :cry:

May 23rd, '13, 04:59
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 23rd, '13, 04:59

Risdt wrote:I kind of have to agree; the initial taste from the 10y old was really good, too bad it just faded too quickly :cry:
Although I can't be sure, that is my experience with nuclear green baozhong and semi-old nuclear baozhong....and this 10 yr one isn't even super nuclear. I chose this primary because I think exemplifies this experience.

May 23rd, '13, 12:10

by wyardley » May 23rd, '13, 12:10

It is worth keeping in mind that baozhongs are a fairly "loose" tea. The "strength" can be an indicator of quality (i.e., better baozhongs will often be stronger tasting, given the same amount of leaf), but you might try just brewing them stronger if you're finding the tea fades to quickly.

For older baozhong, or for newer ones produced in a traditional style, I often use ratios similar to with Wuyi teas, or even greater.

May 23rd, '13, 12:54

by futurebird » May 23rd, '13, 12:54

AdamMY wrote:So far the two that I have had are worlds different. the ~10 year old was sweeter though also far more sour, while initially very very interesting, I felt it lost its luster in a hurry.

This 1984 came on strong. first infusion tasted way more aged than the first, no where near as sweet, and a definite hit of tartness. Aroma though is far more complex and incredibly interesting.

While the 1984 has a lot more complexity, I think currently I feel far better about the ~10 year old, sometimes simple is better.

Well if you have any of the 1984 left I'd be too happy to help you with the "problem" lol

I had some of the 1984 in a thermos and when I drank the last bit (where the fine bits of leaves give it that extra little kick, so intense!) I could not help but shout "My God this is good tea!" Then, everyone in the supermarket line started at me. :shock:

Aw... I'm missing that tea so badly-- it is currently the oolong that I compare all others to and they all come up wanting... it's like being in love really. :cry:

Do others here fall in love with teas?

I can be a bit fickle though... I'm like a teenager next week who knows which tea I'll be in love with. :twisted:

May 23rd, '13, 19:34

by tenuki » May 23rd, '13, 19:34

futurebird wrote:"My God this is good tea!"
You aren't crazy. The 84 was the good one of the bunch. It reminded me a great deal of an '82 baozhong red blossom tea sold about 7? years back. Kinda of simple compared to some other aged baozhongs I've had, but clean, ok mouth feel, long lasting and interesting enough. I think he's offering some of it for sale to the tasters at a premium price.
Last edited by tenuki on May 23rd, '13, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, '13, 19:35

by tenuki » May 23rd, '13, 19:35

wyardley wrote:The "strength" can be an indicator of quality (i.e., better baozhongs will often be stronger tasting, given the same amount of leaf),
I totally disagree.

May 23rd, '13, 19:45
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 23rd, '13, 19:45

tenuki wrote: I think he's offering some of it for sale to the tasters at a premium price.
Premium as in high?? I am failing to see how that is anywhere close to high.

May 25th, '13, 12:27

by nw-T » May 25th, '13, 12:27

My tea has arrived!!
Thanks again Tony for putting this together.
Enjoy the weekend.

:D

May 25th, '13, 13:04

by tenuki » May 25th, '13, 13:04

nw-T wrote:My tea has arrived!!
Thanks again Tony for putting this together.
Enjoy the weekend.

:D
Awesome! You gonna enjoy it.

May 26th, '13, 23:26

by MIKE_B » May 26th, '13, 23:26

I tried the 10yr last night and I am drinking the 20yr now.
Both in 100ml gaiwan loosely filled with dry leaf.
They both lost strength pretty quickly. I used a heavy hand on them. Boiling water and longer infusions. I am only 3 infusions in on the 20yr, but I think I liked the 10yr a little better. I don't taste much sourness in the 20yr, but I did in the 10. I expect some sourness in older teas and I enjoy it.
Both had a nice cherry aroma left in my empty cup. Not much of an after taste for me in the 20yr.
Both of them were pleasant. They take a good beating without ever going bitter. No weird or off flavors. Not super interesting either. Just nice.
Next time I will try them in a packed yixing.

May 27th, '13, 09:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » May 27th, '13, 09:07

I haven't had a chance to try any of these yet (should be able to do one or two today), but I finally had a chance to look at the label...

Uh, so "+/-" is not really what you want to describe the age here, or at least not in the way that you're using it. "+/-" is a way to describe a range of certainty, such as, "This tea is probably from 2003 +/- 2 years," which means that it is probably in the 2001-2005 range.

So instead of "+/- 30 years," (which, without a starting year could technically mean that the tea is from 30 years in the future!), you want "~30 years," where the ~ means approximately.

Ok, so all the nomenclature aside, I'm really looking forward to enjoying these selections!

May 27th, '13, 17:03

by edkrueger » May 27th, '13, 17:03

Let +/- := ~ for the purposes of this package.

Perhaps he meant "+/- 30" "years old" where "" indicates parsing.

May 27th, '13, 17:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » May 27th, '13, 17:42

:lol: Indeed!

So I had a chance to try three of the oolongs today: the ~10 year, the '84, and the '67. They all had a different character, so that was really interesting to explore the different qualities.

I haven't seen too many comments on the '67 so far. I echo futurebird's comment, in that, if I hadn't know that it was an oolong, I might have mistaken it for a pu'erh. However, that's possibly because I just tend to associate the musty/woody quality with pu'erh, which this oolong has in spades (it also brews much darker; and the leaves look near black). The next time I try this tea, I will probably dry to heat it up first to freshen it up a bit more and maybe try to drive off some of the storage taste (assuming that's what I'm tasting).

May 27th, '13, 20:46
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 27th, '13, 20:46

Drax wrote:They all had a different character, so that was really interesting to explore the different qualities.
+1 :D

May 27th, '13, 22:06

by MIKE_B » May 27th, '13, 22:06

Brewing the 30yr high fire BZ tonight.
Very different from the 10 and 20. Roast is prominent on top of an aged taste. Sourness coming out on later infusions but not unpleasant. Not getting a strong after taste. Drying my mouth some. Sour fruit aroma in the empty cup. I am on steep 5. Still going strong.
Much more long lasting than the 10 and 20.

Thanks, Tony. Very interesting comparing these examples. Having fun with it.

+ Post Reply