Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 23rd, '13, 23:22

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Tead Off » May 23rd, '13, 23:22

lordsbm wrote:
tenuki wrote:+1 with the caveat the people can definitely be wrong. :twisted:
:lol:

There's this old saying that Malay loves durain so much that they can pawn their sarong to buy durian. BUT you see many westerners thinks durian smells like cat poo :lol:
It may smell like cat poo, but it doesn't taste like cat poo. :D

May 24th, '13, 01:58

by lordsbm » May 24th, '13, 01:58

Tead Off wrote:
lordsbm wrote:

There's this old saying that Malay loves durain so much that they can pawn their sarong to buy durian. BUT you see many westerners thinks durian smells like cat poo :lol:
So the moral of the story is, don't assume something is bad cause you think is bad. There must be a reason why there are people who love the things you don't. :lol:

Sometime just have to get out of comfort zone and try it. Well if you still don't like it, well it just mean you dislike it, doesn't mean it's true to others. :lol:

Oh ya I hate Thai durians, but I won't say thai durians are bad or they aren't as good as MY one :lol:

May 24th, '13, 02:45

by Tead Off » May 24th, '13, 02:45

Not sure what or if there is a difference. Could be different hybrids. Ripeness is the big factor in smell and taste. Some like the almost syrupy consistency of very ripe fruit but the smell also increases. Durian is usually too rich for me. I like it but in small quantities.

May 24th, '13, 04:15
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 24th, '13, 04:15

lordsbm wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
lordsbm wrote:

So the moral of the story is, don't assume something is bad cause you think is bad. There must be a reason why there are people who love the things you don't. :lol:

Sometime just have to get out of comfort zone and try it. Well if you still don't like it, well it just mean you dislike it, doesn't mean it's true to others. :lol:

Oh ya I hate Thai durians, but I won't say thai durians are bad or they aren't as good as MY one :lol:
+1 to that.
What if I said it smells like cat poo and that's why I like it... :shock: Hmm....I love stinky tofu too...(I'm disturbed at myself)>_<

May 24th, '13, 07:35

by lordsbm » May 24th, '13, 07:35

SilentChaos wrote:+1 to that.
What if I said it smells like cat poo and that's why I like it... :shock: Hmm....I love stinky tofu too...(I'm disturbed at myself)>_<
I love stinky tofu too :lol:

Oh ya those really stinky salted fish. But I cannot stand som tam (green papaya salad) with crab :roll:

May 24th, '13, 09:06

by Tead Off » May 24th, '13, 09:06

lordsbm wrote:

Oh ya those really stinky salted fish. But I cannot stand som tam (green papaya salad) with crab :roll:

May 24th, '13, 09:07

by Tead Off » May 24th, '13, 09:07

lordsbm wrote:

What other Thai things do you not like? Get it all out. :D

May 24th, '13, 09:11
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 24th, '13, 09:11

There are a few types of Durian; &, as one might expect, one is considered by most people to be the best, etc. I think one's likelihood of enjoying durian depends less on its type than what makes most fruit good: is it in season, when was it picked, is it ripe?

I've seen Thai durian sold in Singapore as Malay durian; &, durian that was not grown in Singapore but shipped from there, sold as Singapore durian: misleading place-names that do not say anything useful.

When offering Pu-Erh to someone for the first time, I try to remember to say, "This is singularly delicious," (or something to that effect) rather than, "You may not like this because some people feel like they are drinking swamp water" (durian equivalent, "Hold your nose because it smells like sh....)

Pu & durian are similar for me in that some that I try is disgusting, some just okay, & some is divine. Also, overindulging in either = physical....

May 24th, '13, 09:30

by lordsbm » May 24th, '13, 09:30

ethan wrote:I've seen Thai durian sold in Singapore as Malay durian; &, durian that was not grown in Singapore but shipped from there, sold as Singapore durian: misleading place-names that do not say anything useful.
:lol: Singapore have no space for durian plantation, it's more profitable to build a block of condos and sell a 800-900sqft unit for US$1-1.2m.

Thai durian sold as Malaysia durian are rare in Singapore. Main reason is transportation cost, maybe 10years ago it's more common to see Thai durians. Thai durians unless they use Malaysia seedlings, it's hard to fool anyone. Mainly due to the size :lol:

When offering pu erh to anyone, I just give out around 7g samples. Normally 8-15 tea, let them judge for themselves what's good. Think there's a good chance they'll find something they like in there :lol:

May 24th, '13, 10:22
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 24th, '13, 10:22

I enjoyed staying in Singapore several times for a week or two from 1990 - 94, mostly in dorm rooms at the Y at One Orchard Street. Back then that cost about US$13 a night, & a good full meal at nearby Paradiz food-court cost about $3.

Returned about 5 years ago & cut visit short to 2 days. > $ for me. Seeing young Singaporeans drinking coffee & tea mixed together, I left sure Singapore was no longer a place for me.

May 24th, '13, 10:37

by lordsbm » May 24th, '13, 10:37

ethan wrote:I enjoyed staying in Singapore several times for a week or two from 1990 - 94, mostly in dorm rooms at the Y at One Orchard Street. Back then that cost about US$13 a night, & a good full meal at nearby Paradiz food-court cost about $3.

Returned about 5 years ago & cut visit short to 2 days. > $ for me. Seeing young Singaporeans drinking coffee & tea mixed together, I left sure Singapore was no longer a place for me.
haha IIRC yuanyang was a popular trend from HK, but this had been in Singapore since my grandparents days. Not popular then. They used to own a traditional coffee shop back in the 50s :lol:

1990 $3 in food court is considered expensive. The good old days are gone. Good old tasty unhealthy food are gone. Thank god I inherited part of my grandpa and dad's cookery skills :lol:

May 24th, '13, 21:51

by MarshalN » May 24th, '13, 21:51

Yuanyang is a staple of Hong Kong restaurants. I couldn't use the past tense to talk about it.

May 24th, '13, 22:01

by lordsbm » May 24th, '13, 22:01

MarshalN wrote:Yuanyang is a staple of Hong Kong restaurants. I couldn't use the past tense to talk about it.
Bubble tea was popular before it becomes staple in some countries :lol:
Edit: Just like bubble tea WAS a popular trend in Singapore (ethan was talking about Singapore, maybe next time I should write very little bits of details in so that people who don't follow the conversation won't get lost. :lol: ) FROM Taiwan :wink:
In fact here in Singapore, bubble was popular in the mid 90s, then it almost dies off, then around 2008 it became popular again. Now pretty much part of a type of staple tea people enjoy :lol:

Anything new had to gone through the popular stage, no? :roll:

May 26th, '13, 19:40

by debunix » May 26th, '13, 19:40

Revisiting an old friend: 2007 'White Bud' sheng puerh from Norbu. Having a friendly afternoon with it. It does not have the complexity of a fine aged sheng, but it is pleasingly sweet, still hints of the original floral sweetness.

May 28th, '13, 21:12

by seollasido » May 28th, '13, 21:12

Watching the rain/lighting out the window and drinking the Commissioned 2002 8582 from OriginTea... It's incredibly rich. Smokey, and it has an amazingly refreshing mouthfeel. Amazingly relaxing for the occasion too.

Life is good :D

+ Post Reply