Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges


Completely off the Topic of Tea

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '13, 12:30

MEversbergII wrote:Isn't it a little weird that Adagio would be for letting what are essentially competitors promote themselves on their forum?

M.

This has always been the case. TeaChat was created to discuss all things related to tea without censorship, however no spam and a certain degree of decorum. Michael, one of the owners has oft paraphrased the famous quote, "While I may disagree with what you are saying, I will defend your right to the death to say it." He is all for freedom of speech. Could be his Russian roots?
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22089
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby AdamMY » May 23rd, '13, 20:59

MEversbergII wrote:Isn't it a little weird that Adagio would be for letting what are essentially competitors promote themselves on their forum?

M.


Well depends would you consider Wal Mart and the local farmers market competitors? Or even McDonalds, and Mortons Steak house? Just because two vendors sell something in the same category does not mean they compete for the same customers on specific orders.
User avatar
AdamMY
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: Jul 22nd, '
Location: Capital of the Mitten

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Chip » May 23rd, '13, 22:22

... true.

Members may promote vendors with whom they do not have an affiliation. However vendor members may not self promote ... over the years however I created forums on TeaChat where even self promotion is permitted. Adagio has never objected.

They really keep a hands off approach. It is interesting, it is their forum, but they allowed members to nominate and elect 2 moderators (one ... retired). This allowed them to have a virtual laissez faire relationship with the very forum they own.

And TBH, Adagio has always been more liberal in regards to tolerance of spam and even decorum issues than I have been. But they are not in the trenches every day. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22089
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby MEversbergII » May 24th, '13, 10:51

AdamMY wrote:
MEversbergII wrote:Isn't it a little weird that Adagio would be for letting what are essentially competitors promote themselves on their forum?

M.


Well depends would you consider Wal Mart and the local farmers market competitors? Or even McDonalds, and Mortons Steak house? Just because two vendors sell something in the same category does not mean they compete for the same customers on specific orders.


This is a good point. Thank you for taking me one step closer to enlightenment.

M.
User avatar
MEversbergII
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mar 25th, '
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Chip » May 25th, '13, 09:46

I have created a "forum rank" of "Vendor Member." This is just for members to view and comment. Strictly as an example (as we are not signaling out this particular member), I have placed this in Tead Off's profile. Thus each of his posts currently show the rank under his name. This is the most simple measure. This also shows up under his avatar under his profile. http://www.teachat.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=31546

Tead Off is under our TeaMerchant forum and sells Korean teaware from select Korean artisans.

The ranking is temporary, just for the benefit of concerned members ... and vendors during a comment and discussion period of around a week.

The rank may become a fixture on the forum ... or not. We will see how this goes.

Also the actual rank title may change, or perhaps there will be multiple rank titles, more specific titles.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22089
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Tead Off » May 25th, '13, 13:10

I have no objection to any of this. It makes it easier for someone who doesn't know me to click directly to my listing and browse what I have to offer. I have often been told by someone newer that I didn't know you were selling teaware until I browsed the TeaMerchant area. It's not like being labeled a vendor is something to be afraid of. Go for it, Chip.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby tenuki » May 25th, '13, 13:28

Chip wrote:I have created a "forum rank" of "Vendor Member."

....

Also the actual rank title may change, or perhaps there will be multiple rank titles, more specific titles.


'Industry Expert'
'Tea Merchant'
'Tea Industry Member'

Should be an interesting experiment. I really am thankful for every vendor who is on here and participating and I hope this makes it easier for everyone to benefit from their unique insight and experience.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby sherubtse » May 25th, '13, 14:54

Chip wrote:I have created a "forum rank" of "Vendor Member." This is just for members to view and comment. Strictly as an example (as we are not signaling out this particular member), I have placed this in Tead Off's profile. Thus each of his posts currently show the rank under his name. This is the most simple measure. This also shows up under his avatar under his profile. http://www.teachat.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=31546

Tead Off is under our TeaMerchant forum and sells Korean teaware from select Korean artisans.

The ranking is temporary, just for the benefit of concerned members ... and vendors during a comment and discussion period of around a week.

The rank may become a fixture on the forum ... or not. We will see how this goes.

Also the actual rank title may change, or perhaps there will be multiple rank titles, more specific titles.


This is a good alternative to having one's vendor status given in a signature, Chip (which is my preferred option).

I like the fact that every time a vendor posts something, I can tell that he/she is in fact a vendor by looking just below his/her avatar to the right of the post itself. I can then click through to the profile to get the relevant link.

One quibble is that one needs to be logged in to see the vendor status. This means that those who are not members (and those who are but haven't logged in) will not be able to see the vendor status. I suggest that you make vendor status visible at all times below his/her avatar.

Thanks for the good work on this, Chip! :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Chip » May 25th, '13, 18:41

tenuki wrote:
Chip wrote:I have created a "forum rank" of "Vendor Member."

....

Also the actual rank title may change, or perhaps there will be multiple rank titles, more specific titles.


'Industry Expert'
'Tea Merchant'
'Tea Industry Member'

Should be an interesting experiment. I really am thankful for every vendor who is on here and participating and I hope this makes it easier for everyone to benefit from their unique insight and experience.
I would add to that list, "I am just a country teaman." :mrgreen:

sherubtse wrote:This is a good alternative to having one's vendor status given in a signature, Chip (which is my preferred option).

I like the fact that every time a vendor posts something, I can tell that he/she is in fact a vendor by looking just below his/her avatar to the right of the post itself. I can then click through to the profile to get the relevant link.

One quibble is that one needs to be logged in to see the vendor status. This means that those who are not members (and those who are but haven't logged in) will not be able to see the vendor status. I suggest that you make vendor status visible at all times below his/her avatar.

Thanks for the good work on this, Chip! :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse

I just double checked. Anyone not signed in (including non members) can (or at least should be able to) see the "Vendor Member" right under TO's name at each post. One must be signed in to see TO's profile which also includes the rank.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22089
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby sherubtse » May 25th, '13, 20:58

Chip wrote:I just double checked. Anyone not signed in (including non members) can (or at least should be able to) see the "Vendor Member" right under TO's name at each post. One must be signed in to see TO's profile which also includes the rank.


So now I have no quibbles with the new set-up, Chip. I look forward to having all of the TeaChat vendors listed as vendors next to their avatars.

Many thanks for your work on this, Chip! :D

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby SilentChaos » May 25th, '13, 21:57

Sounds good to me. :wink:
User avatar
SilentChaos
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Feb 2nd, '1
Location: Taipei

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Tead Off » Jun 16th, '13, 23:56

So far, looks like I'm the only vendor member on TeaChat! What's happening, Chip?
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby SilentChaos » Jun 17th, '13, 05:13

Tead Off wrote:So far, looks like I'm the only vendor member on TeaChat! What's happening, Chip?


cough cough..designated cough vendor cough... :mrgreen: *gives teadoff a friendly nudge.. haha
User avatar
SilentChaos
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Feb 2nd, '1
Location: Taipei

Re: Teachat feature proposal - vendor badges

Postby Chip » Jun 17th, '13, 11:51

Since I have not received any nays, I will proceed shortly. I plan to keep the badges simple for now. If you see a member with such a badge, you can almost always check out their site by clicking on the earth/www icon also located under their name in each post or on their profile page.

Please post member names below who are also tea/teaware vendors.

If you are a member and a tea related vendor, please post or send me a private message.

Thank you all kindly,
Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22089
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation