May 29th, '13, 01:28

canisters with foil tops? how to replace?

by futurebird » May 29th, '13, 01:28

I've tried to make my tea collection look a bit better so I have my favorite oolongs in porcelain jars. They have foil to make the seal tight...

I'm just curious ... can this foil be replaced when it wears out? a jar can last for centuries is properly cared for... what sort of instructions should I leave for my decedents on this matter? :lol:

But seriously, they can be repaired, right? I also might need to make one from scratch for the handmade canisters I've made.

Also what about those tea filters with the thin mesh... can the mesh be replaced as well?

May 30th, '13, 00:08
Vendor Member

Re: canisters with foil tops? how to replace?

by gingkoseto » May 30th, '13, 00:08

Oh yeah! I hate them! I mean, usually I love the jars but hate the foil plug. I have quite a few jars like this and would get rid of the foil thing as soon as I can :mrgreen: The foil thing does serve a purpose for green tea and/or greener oolong. But with the foil removed, the jar would be great for some other teas :D The foil may last a long time. If the foil wears out, you may not want the plastic thing inside to have contact with your tea, then you may consider removing it and use it for roasted oolong or puerh.

Usually it's easier to remove it when it's new. I removed a few new ones just by hands and there is no glue residue on the porcelain. But on the older ones the glue would get all melted and very adhesive. I used alcohol to dissolve the glue residues and it did a clean job.

May 31st, '13, 00:54

by jbu2 » May 31st, '13, 00:54

i much as i hate them too , i also wander , how to replace them because in the end there are necessary evil .

May 31st, '13, 07:38

by futurebird » May 31st, '13, 07:38

They seem to be made out of double sided sticky foam tape and mylar.

I can buy mylar (even cool rainbow mylar!)

but I have no idea where ones gets double sided sticky foam tape....

May 31st, '13, 08:28

by Joel Byron » May 31st, '13, 08:28

Most drug stores and office supply stores carry that kind of tape.

May 31st, '13, 08:52

by jbu2 » May 31st, '13, 08:52

isn't double sided sticky foam tape enough ?
foil again doesn't sound vary good ;) it's attract mustier

+ Post Reply