My white tea opinion

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Jun 1st, '13, 11:22

My white tea opinion

by RueTheDay » Jun 1st, '13, 11:22

My understanding is that there are basically 3 grades of white tea:

Silver Needle (Baihao Yinzhen) - Buds only.
White Peony (Bai Mudan) - Buds and the first two leaves of the shoot.
Shoumei - This is basically the leftovers from the production of the first two. It's what get's typically sold (often blended with light Oolongs) as "white tea" in teabags at the supermarket.

I have tried Adagio's Silver Needle and White Peony. Both are excellent in my opinion, with the White Peony slightly stronger in color and taste as expected.

I've also tried their White Symphony and Snowbud. White Symphony is basically White Peony with extra buds. I didn't really notice much of a difference between it and White Peony as far as taste/color goes, but could definitely see there were more buds. Snowbud is supposed to be a lighter version of White Peony with only the youngest buds/leaves. To me at had much more of a green tea taste (grassy, vegetative) than any of the other three.

The SIlver Needle and White Peony will deinitely be my two go to teas going forward.

Other thoughts/opinions?

Jun 1st, '13, 12:27

Re: My white tea opinion

by JRS22 » Jun 1st, '13, 12:27

Seven Cups mentions a fourth type of white tea in their education section. Given the description I doubt if they ever sell it.

''The ironcally named lowest grade of white tea, Gong Mei (Tribute Eyebrow), is mostly brown broken leaves with very few buds. This is a common white tea found in Southern Chinese restaurants.''

They refer to Shou Mei as also having many brown leaves. Is it possible that's what makes it seem as if oolong is mixed in?

I'm also a big fan of Silver Needles and Bai Mu Dan. Maybe it's heresy, but I really enjoy Jasmine Silver Needles, when I can find one made with a good grade of Jasmine. Rishi carries a good version.

Oct 4th, '13, 20:03

Re: My white tea opinion

by mcrdotcom » Oct 4th, '13, 20:03

RueTheDay wrote:My understanding is that there are basically 3 grades of white tea:

Silver Needle (Baihao Yinzhen) - Buds only.
White Peony (Bai Mudan) - Buds and the first two leaves of the shoot.
Shoumei - This is basically the leftovers from the production of the first two. It's what get's typically sold (often blended with light Oolongs) as "white tea" in teabags at the supermarket.

I have tried Adagio's Silver Needle and White Peony. Both are excellent in my opinion, with the White Peony slightly stronger in color and taste as expected.

I've also tried their White Symphony and Snowbud. White Symphony is basically White Peony with extra buds. I didn't really notice much of a difference between it and White Peony as far as taste/color goes, but could definitely see there were more buds. Snowbud is supposed to be a lighter version of White Peony with only the youngest buds/leaves. To me at had much more of a green tea taste (grassy, vegetative) than any of the other three.

The SIlver Needle and White Peony will deinitely be my two go to teas going forward.

Other thoughts/opinions?

Supreme Baihao Yinzhen from Dragon Tea House is absolutely delightful! Very fresh and intoxicating! White tea is what got me seriously interested in loose leaf tea, and exploring all the different types, creating what is now my main and favourite hobbie :lol:

+ Post Reply