Jun 1st, '13, 02:51

Drinking too much tea question

by Volshan » Jun 1st, '13, 02:51

I have read a lot about the potential prostate cancer issues of drinking too much tea, such as 7 or more cups of tea a day.

My question is, does resteeped tea really count as more than a single cup of tea? If you make enough tea for one cup, and then later resteep it to a second, third, fourth and more cups of tea, does it have the same effect?

Obviously much of the nutrients and compounds would be lost, but is it significant enough that if I drink 7 cups worth of resteeped tea a day, I might worry about the prostate issue?

Thank you.

Jun 1st, '13, 15:40

Re: Drinking too much tea question

by Evan Draper » Jun 1st, '13, 15:40

I've never heard anything about prostate cancer risks of tea, and by extension, I don't know what factors in tea drinking would contribute to it. Perhaps if you post some studies about how this tea->prostate cancer mechanism might work, someone might be able to give you a reasoned answer. For example, someone might have posited a tea->throat cancer link, which probably comes from drinking your beverages too hot.

Jun 1st, '13, 18:28

Drinking too much tea question

by robbie_olive » Jun 1st, '13, 18:28

I've never heard of excessive tea drinking leading to cancer, let alone prostate cancer; if anything, I've only heard the exact opposite and the health benefits of drinking tea. For example, if the Japanese can drink a lot of tea, combined with a very healthy diet, and have the longest life expectancies in the world, then they must be doing something right.

Jun 1st, '13, 19:42

by Peacock » Jun 1st, '13, 19:42

As men age their likelihood of getting prostate cancer increases. Tea doesn't cause prostate cancer, but since tea can increase someone's lifespan, the likelihood of prostate cancer developing is higher the older you get. Whereas there are wonderful health benefits to certain organs like the brain, liver, and cardiovascular system with tea, I believe the prostate doesn't reap the full benefits.I remember reading studies I just don't know where..
Last edited by Peacock on Jun 1st, '13, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 1st, '13, 19:53

by AdamMY » Jun 1st, '13, 19:53

Peacock wrote:As men age their likelihood of getting prostate cancer increases. Tea doesn't cause prostate cancer, but since tea can increase someone's lifespan, the likelihood of prostate cancer developing is higher the older you get. I remember reading studies I just don't know where..
This isn't specific to men and Prostate cancer. I hope I don't burst anyones bubbles here, but given the nature of what cancer is, which is a very bad form of genetic mutation in certain cells, cancer is a probabilities game. You can do things do make that probability higher ( i.e. smoke cigarettes profusely), or you can do things to lower the probability ( i.e. drink tea, live a healthy lifestyle, etc.). But as far as science stands now, and likely as far as science will ever stand the probability for cancer to develop will never be 0. Therefore with the law of large numbers the longer you live, the greater chance you have of developing cancer in your life time no matter who you are.

Simply put: "You live long enough, you will get cancer."

Jun 1st, '13, 19:57

by Peacock » Jun 1st, '13, 19:57

AdamMY wrote:
Simply put: "You live long enough, you will get cancer."
I agree.

Jun 2nd, '13, 13:56

by Suutej_Tsaj » Jun 2nd, '13, 13:56

And even if too much tea could lead to prostate cancer, the survival rates for it are over 90%; totally worth it, if you ask me.

Jun 2nd, '13, 14:14
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jun 2nd, '13, 14:14

Probably the a lot you've read on this are all based on one single news report that was based on a British (or another country?) study that was discussed in teachat before. In that British (?) study, the researchers themselves didn't draw such a conclusion. It was rather that the news reporters paraphrased the results of the research to make an astonishing statement to catch attention (as what they did for many times on other news reports :wink: )

+ Post Reply