Hunan Teas

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 2nd, '13, 05:41

Hunan Teas

by Vega » Jun 2nd, '13, 05:41

Was doing some scouting for local teas in Hunan, and came across a few that I haven't seen before. When asking for locally produced teas from the province, I was usually shown various brick-styles, which I really don't like. After some determined searching, I was able to find the following:

First up was this one, yin zhen silver needles:
silver_needles.jpg
silver_needles.jpg (44.78 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
The brewing method for this tea was to drop the leaves into the water. They float lengthwise, then one by one drop down to the bottom and unfurl, producing a light green liquor. Pleasant taste, although it quickly will become bitter if steeped for too long.

Next was a slightly higher grade called mao jian, or Hairy Tips:
mao_jian.jpg
mao_jian.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Leaves are more tightly curled with points at the end, with more of a grayish-green color. Similar steeping properties and liquor color, but more flavorful.

My favorite of the 3 was gou nao gong:
go_nao_gong.JPG
go_nao_gong.JPG (50.96 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Leaves were very lightweight, curled, and green covered with whitish hairs, with a distinctively sweet smell. Reminded me of a white tea, although the shop owner said it was a green (unless they don't differentiate?). Brew was at 80 degrees C, and liquor was an almost imperceptible yellow - a quick look and you'd think it was water. Lightest flavor of the bunch, with a slightly sweet after-taste. Interestingly, before leaving I poured some that was left steeping for 15 minutes, and it didn't have the slightest bitter taste.

Jun 2nd, '13, 14:18
Vendor Member

Re: Hunan Teas

by gingkoseto » Jun 2nd, '13, 14:18

Nice!! :D

Jun 2nd, '13, 16:20

by Poohblah » Jun 2nd, '13, 16:20

Are these teas produced in Hunan Province, or just purchased/popular there?

Jun 3rd, '13, 00:07

by Vega » Jun 3rd, '13, 00:07

Poohblah wrote:Are these teas produced in Hunan Province, or just purchased/popular there?
According to the shop owner, these were actually grown in Hunan.

Jun 3rd, '13, 00:15

by Vega » Jun 3rd, '13, 00:15

Here's another one, called ku gua cha. It's a guanyin tea which is aged in a bitter gourd. It has honey-like scent, and after brewing leaves an aftertaste similar - although much fainter - to ginseng teas. The claim is that this is beneficial for high blood pressure.

I thought the overall taste to be mediocre - I don't like my teas scented - but bought a gourd just as a souvenir.

ku_gua_cha_2.jpg
ku_gua_cha_2.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

ku_gua_cha_1.jpg
ku_gua_cha_1.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

ku_gua_cha_3.jpg
ku_gua_cha_3.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 1342 times

Jun 3rd, '13, 00:44
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jun 3rd, '13, 00:44

Nice! I've never had gugua cha. But I love bitter gourd when it's well cooked!
More please!

Jun 3rd, '13, 02:59

by Vega » Jun 3rd, '13, 02:59

If my memory serves me right, a chunk of the gourd was broken off and steeped right along with the tea in a gaiwan. You'd probably be a fan of this since you'd get the best of both worlds. :)

I may have to dig out some of the tea and steep it without the gourd as a taste comparison.

+ Post Reply