Shincha OTTI 2013 AKA OTTI 18

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Shincha OTTI 2013 AKA OTTI 18

Postby JRS22 » May 27th, '13, 09:58

+1

Thanks for the update. If all goes well I'll be able to segue directly from the last of my 2012 Sencha Karigane to 2013 Shincha.
JRS22

Postby Chip » May 28th, '13, 20:45

... oh s***! One vendor accidently sent only half of the required tea (both selections).

Good news, bad news ... I caught the error today before opening up any of the teas (for weighing and packaging, etc) so they are still sealed (and will remain sealed) ... bad news, although the teas are likely shipped as of this posting, it will likely not arrive until Friday (fingers crossed).

Good news, this should only delay shipping to participants by two days! That is assuming everything goes according to ammended plans. :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby victoria3 » May 28th, '13, 21:14

Chip, glad you were able to work out the orders. I'm really looking forward to this sincha OTTI. I have plenty of 2013 sinchas in the refrigerator and cupboard now, but don't want to open more than a few because they will loose their freshness before too long after opening. With the Otti samples we can casually try a variety of different totally fresh teas without worrying if they will oxidize before finishing them. Nice. Thanks for doing this.
victoria3

Postby Chip » Jun 3rd, '13, 13:33

You are welcome! :mrgreen:

As of around 10 am, Shincha-OTTI is enroute to destinations all over, literally.

In the next day or so I will be posting brewing suggestions for this round. I strongly encourage participants to view vendors suggestions and then mine. This is not a slam dunk brew round! :!: :idea: :arrow: Thus blind tasting will be virtually impossible. You will want to know exactly what you are brewing.

Stay thirsty my TeaFriends,
Chip
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby hopeofdawn » Jun 3rd, '13, 15:35

Time to do the shincha dance! :lol:

\^_^\

/^_^/

\^_^/
hopeofdawn

Postby JRS22 » Jun 3rd, '13, 15:43

hopeofdawn wrote:Time to do the shincha dance! :lol:

\^_^\

/^_^/

\^_^/

+1

Thanks Chip for organizing this.

My adorable 75 ml kenji kyusu is ready for OTTI duty. I should be able to get 3 or 4 sessions out of each sample.
JRS22

Postby Matthifi » Jun 4th, '13, 02:33

Thanks soooo much Chip! :D
Matthifi

Postby JRS22 » Jun 5th, '13, 11:53

With one chime of the doorbell I went from having a scant one session of Japanese greens left to having a wealth of choices. The postman just delivered my full set of OTTI Shincha as well as 2 bags of Karigane from o-Cha.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 12:00

JRS22 wrote:With one chime of the doorbell I went from having a scant one session of Japanese greens left to having a wealth of choices. The postman just delivered my full set of OTTI Shincha as well as 2 bags of Karigane from o-Cha.

WooHoo!!!! Looks like you may be the first to receive Shincha OTTI!

I will be posting brewing suggestions today, but first, tea! It has been a crazy morn here.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Running for Tea » Jun 5th, '13, 13:25

JRS22 wrote:With one chime of the doorbell I went from having a scant one session of Japanese greens left to having a wealth of choices. The postman just delivered my full set of OTTI Shincha as well as 2 bags of Karigane from o-Cha.

OTTI Shincha for me too! So many teas, where to begin :shock:
Running for Tea

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 14:10

This key can also be easily located on page 1 of this topic, 5th post.

I am not making this a blind key since with 12 samples and many of which have unique brewing parameters, it is not practical.

The first digit designates the group, 1, 2, or 3.

Group 1 Fukamushi
11 Sugimoto Hishari
12 O-Cha Yutaka Midori
13 Den's Houryoku
14 Sugimoto Hachichu Hachiya

Group 2 "this and that"
21 Zencha Kagoshima Sencha Super Premium
22 The du Japon Yamakai
23 Maiko Karigane
24 Zencha Takumi

Group 3 Asamushi
31 The du Japon Kodo-wase
32 Den's Kunpu
33 O-Cha Kirameki
34 Maiko Kinari
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 14:11

Brewing guide ... coming!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 15:17

[This will also be located on page 1 for easy reference.]

Brewing Guide for Shincha OTTI

Try not to be overwhelmed ... take a deep breath and focus on one tea at a time versus trying to "know" all the brewing parameters for all the teas instantly, you will stress out at the tea table. Remember to enjoy your tea tasting! :mrgreen:

I first suggest checking the vendor selections for their brewing suggestions. The links are on page 1 for easy reference.

And my suggestions ... these are not always "right." I noticed this year, that I leaned towards higher ratios and cooler brewing, generally speaking. I find this interesting.

Usually my sampling of around 20 + Shincha each year is spread out, a few at a time. This was quite a "head rush" endeavoring to offer my suggestions for 12 all at once. WHEW! Well a few are still "under construction" as I figure them out a bit more ... these selections are new to me.

Further confusion was caused by wild swings in ambient room temperature over the last week. I am coming to believe that this may effect results as much as water quality, however changes in ambient temp can be overcome by adjusting brewing temps.

Speaking of water quality, I suddenly noticed sub par results with Aquafina which had been giving me very good results for a while ... now just no discernable highs. So, I switched to Deer Park spring water. Why has water suddenly become so confusing to me when it never was before .......

More water, temps below are based upon not preheating. If you do preheat your pot, I would advise cooler temps.

So, here goes ... in numerical order. Ratios are "grams to ounces" (1 ounce = 30 ml) For successive steeps, I simply do the following
2nd slightly hotter for 30 seconds or less
3rd, hotter longer
4th, hotter longer
etc.

11 Sugimoto Hashiri. "Under construction" check back later! This has been pretty mellow even when I tried to amp it up. Let me know how you make out!

12 O-Cha YM. OK, here was an exception to my trend this year in that I went hotter with this selection. 1.25:1, 172* (77* C) for 40+ seconds. I did not preheat, so if you do you may want to decrease temp a bit.

13 Den's Houryoku. Cooler ... 1.25:1, 160* (71* C) or less, 40 seconds. As you lower temp, you can increase time.

14 Sugimoto Hachiju Hachiya "Under construction" check back later!

------------------------------------------------------------------

21 Sencha Kagoshima Sencha Super Premium. Although Zencha recommends 140*, I found this can be brewed somewhat hotter for a bit more boldness. I went as high as 160* (71* C) without ill effect, but liked it under 155 (68* C). 1.25 (or higher):1, 40-60 seconds ... as you decrease temp, increase time or the cup may not convey the richness intended.

22 The du Japon Yamakai "Under construction" check back later!

23 Maiko Karigani. "Under construction" check back later!

24 Zencha Takumi. 1.25:1 This one definitely prefers cooler! 140-150* (60-65* C). Not as easy for me to brew as their SSP (#21), so pay attention. 40-60 seconds.

----------------------------------------------------

31 Kondo-wase. Pay attention! HOT! I concur with their suggestions of 185* (85* C) Cooler and it seems lost. Hot and it sings. 1.25:1. 70 seconds.

32 Den's Kunpu. 1.25:1, 160* (71* C) or even cooler, 90 seconds. Hotter gives intensity, cooler gives more depth and sweetness.

33 O-Cha Kirameki. 1.25:1. 158* (70* C) for 90 seconds. Can be brewed cooler or hotter depending upon desired results. This one is a bit tricky and requires attention in brewing.

34 Maiko Kinari 1.25:1, 158* (70* C) 90 seconds. I prefered it brewed cooler.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 15:29

Just to emphaaize, my ratios are higher this year , which may simply reflect my personal taste, your preferences may prefer a lower ratio! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 15:30

Running for Tea wrote:

OTTI Shincha for me too! So many teas, where to begin :shock:

Just take it easy and enjoy! Thank you for posting that you received your teas! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions