Shincha OTTI 2013 AKA OTTI 18

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: Shincha OTTI 2013 AKA OTTI 18

Postby chingwa » Jun 5th, '13, 18:52

I just got a special delivery as well... :) Thanks Chip, I can't wait to start exploring these teas. I'll be keeping some records and posting my thoughts as they percolate... :)
chingwa

Postby AdamMY » Jun 5th, '13, 18:55

First up # 11 I did not realize I was going in order, I just reached in the bag and grabbed one. Oh yeah, I guess that last sentence means mine showed up today!

I won't post notes on any yet. I will try and save that to a later go around.
AdamMY

Postby bambooforest » Jun 5th, '13, 19:08

Chip wrote:[This will also be located on page 1 for easy reference.]

Brewing Guide for Shincha OTTI
Speaking of water quality, I suddenly noticed sub par results with Aquafina which had been giving me very good results for a while ... now just no discernable highs. So, I switched to Deer Park spring water. Why has water suddenly become so confusing to me when it never was before

I'd suggest Dasani. I'm pretty sure that aquafina is straight up reverse osmosis which means almost no minerals whatsoever which will lead to a flat tasting tea.

Dasani has a very small and ideal amount of minerals put back into the water after it's thoroughly filtered.
bambooforest

Postby Poohblah » Jun 5th, '13, 21:40

Nothing in the mail for me today :cry:
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jun 5th, '13, 21:54

Poohblah wrote:Nothing in the mail for me today :cry:

It is hard locating "somewhere over the rainbow" ... and then there are the leprechauns who would steal this green treasure!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby saxon75 » Jun 5th, '13, 23:51

Got my package tonight. Very excited to start in on these teas!

Is might be kind of a dumb question, but when you're measuring your brewing time do you include the time it takes to fill and empty your brewing vessel?
saxon75

Postby victoria3 » Jun 6th, '13, 01:09

saxon75 wrote:Got my package tonight. Very excited to start in on these teas!

Is might be kind of a dumb question, but when you're measuring your brewing time do you include the time it takes to fill and empty your brewing vessel?

Saxon great question. Brewing time is for the pour, but the teapot and filter type will make a difference when you set up your brewing parameters. I often think of this question when pouring and intuitively adjust my logged timing notes according to the teapot I'm using.
victoria3

Postby Pablo » Jun 6th, '13, 08:15

One pleasant surprise in my mailbox today,my samples have already arrived,fast fast very fast shipping to Spain in 4 days!!!!
I´m will not hide my great satisfaction, I really very excited to start
Chip..Thank you so much for all.
Last edited by Pablo on Jun 15th, '13, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo

Postby infinite333 » Jun 6th, '13, 09:52

Arrived yesterday. Enjoying Kirameki this morning :). Excited because I've only had one of these teas before.
infinite333

Postby saxon75 » Jun 6th, '13, 11:46

I tried the Den's Kunpu this morning. I found it very pleasant, light and nicely balanced between sweetness and bitterness, with a bit of grassy, perhaps pine-y notes. It seemed subtle and very refined to me. I liked it.
saxon75

Postby Remick » Jun 6th, '13, 17:33

Like many others, the package arrived yesterday. Only one packet was semi-sealed, which is probably a small victory. Other than that, it's now just a matter of deciding what to open first.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should have just started on the semi-sealed pack instead of re-sealing and forgetting which one it was... oh well.
Remick

Postby bambooforest » Jun 6th, '13, 18:46

I also had a semi-seal issue and some of the tea leaked out. While heat sealing would obviously be ideal... it's all good because this opportunity wouldn't be possible without o double t i.
bambooforest

Postby Poohblah » Jun 6th, '13, 20:14

found a special package in the mailbox today :mrgreen:

now to decide which one to start with...
Poohblah

Postby seollasido » Jun 6th, '13, 20:30

...I really hope my package comes tomorrow. Can't wait till I can start off my day with Sencha everyday again without having to worry about supplies :D
seollasido

Postby Poohblah » Jun 6th, '13, 20:58

Starting with the Sugimoto 88 Nights (Hachiju Hachiya). Would appreciate any brewing tips for this tea.

I tried "1:1" ratio - 5g of tea (half of the sample), 150mL of water @ about 150°F. Did not enjoy this :(. Thin body, bitter flavor, rough texture. Dry leaf aroma was not bad though. Subsequent steeps did not improve despite quick steeps and cooler water. Would recommend that others who are trying this tea try to brew in a reserved fashion - cooler temps, low ratio, short steeps, perhaps. Or maybe flash steeps at high temperatures. I simply haven't figured this one out yet. My usual sencha brewing technique was simply not cutting it for this tea. I will change things up when I return to this tea to see if it improves this tea.

edit: I think short, quick steeps at high temps may be the way to go with this one? still too early to tell. Will report back.
Poohblah

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions