PTR 1: AirScape Product Testing

New program, "Product Testing, & Review"

Re: PTR 1: AirScape Product Testing

Postby MIKE_B » Jun 11th, '13, 21:47

I am one of the 5. Sorry. :oops:
But like Chip said, the airscape is pretty large. I don't keep any quantity of one tea on hand that would fill it halfway. I have never used it for tea.
My girlfriend is currently using it to store her "nutritional yeast flakes" (what ever the heck that is).
Th airscape works well. The plunger still presses down easily.
It is solidly built. I am sure we'll be using this for years to come.
I wish I could report on how well it kept my tea fresh. I am sure it would work great.
MIKE_B

Postby zeto » Jun 12th, '13, 10:29

First, my suggestion for future PTR success might be to PM winners until they post... they probably get complacent and forget. I think such things are a wonderful program, but I agree they require some professionalism and review skills that I'm not sure a random selection can garner in some cases.

Second, I wonder, if you press the plunger down to essentially the very bottom, which is where the tea would be, how large is the opening... as I figure your entire fist would have to reach down into the container at that point to fiddle with the handle.

The video that I watched only had the plunger down a little bit, and I can imagine that if you had to put it all the way down all the time, it might be come burdensome.
zeto

Postby Evan Draper » Jun 12th, '13, 14:46

Chip wrote:I could also see purchasing spray canisters (sort of an aerosol hairspray size) of nitro available at liquor stores for preserving wine, etc., and using this in combination with this unit for storing high end greens from China. This would be a simplified at home nitrogen flushing system.

Was wondering how this might work, and I did a little poking around. Some coffee roasters use nitrogen flushing machines, but they're pricy--not something for the home enthusiast, apparently. The wine spray works because the gas (a mix of nitrogen, argon, CO2) is heavier than atmospheric air, so you only need enough gas to create a layer that covers the surface of the liquid. You would need a lot more gas to fill up all the empty space in between tea leaves. While the airscape might minimize the headspace in the canister, I can't see it performing better than vacuum sealing and/or oxygen absorbers. Though I have no real-life experience in these areas.
Evan Draper

Postby steanze » Jun 13th, '13, 04:40

I didn't get one of the PTR AirScape canisters, but I got one from a local store to try for my Chinese green tea. I filled it a little over halfway, I don't find it cumbersome as the lid slides well inside the canister. I like the results so far, it seems a good compromise between very effective approaches that might be also very complicated and expensive and just keeping the tea in regular tins. However, as a caveat, I haven't left some of the tea out to be stored in a regular tin for comparison, so I couldn't tell for sure how noticeable the difference is. Will try that with the next green tea I get :)
steanze

Postby demonyc » Oct 30th, '14, 04:32

Hi all, I realize I'm quite late to the party here... Life has happened to me in a big way in the part few years, :? but hopefully from here onwards I'll be able to be more active and contribute to the board as much as I'd like to. Better late than never, I suppose? :?: :roll:

Impressions of the AirScape for me were initially quite positive: great, solid build quality and functional design. However there were two sticking points that arose for me off the bat.

First, the type of plastic used for the plunger handle feels... "soft?" for lack of a better word. Or put another way, it feels more plastic (as in the scientific definition, pliable) than I would like in a key functional component. I suppose I wanted a harder, more solid feeling to it. This issue is definitely a personal one, and shouldn't be seen as a general condemnation of product design or general quality, though! :!:

Second, however is slightly more serious. The rubber foot on the bottom of my unit is off-center, enough so that it causes the AirScape to rest at a very slight angle. Almost unnoticeable, but when you flip it over, you can see very clearly that the foot is outside of the slight circular depression made for it. See from the picture what I mean:
[img]https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/1/AAA-TYkY9iTBlonJ6tR5-oTTtie8dQPHG6NTk20rqa-4LA/12/205758/jpeg/1024x768/3/1414666800/0/2/image.jpg/FXMp85JqmemIk-mlK-5Lmn8Wb_1LuTTA0t7ZuzvKIH8[/img]
Anyways, all that aside, the AirScape does an excellent job of making and keeping an airtight seal. I tested it with some Long Jing for about a year, and the color of the control (stored in a regular double-lid tin) was two or three shades grayer than the leaves stored in the AirScape. Aroma was decreased, but much less than I'd expect from storing a fresh green tea for a bit more than a year. The control was almost undrinkable in that amount of time, pretty much flavorless after the first infusion. I was able to get three solid infusions out of the AirScape stored LJ, using a 150mL gaiwan and 185°F water, and a 4th if I upped the leaf/water ratio. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the leaves or tasting for you guys, sorry about that!
demonyc

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions