Green tea newbie

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 12th, '13, 08:28

Re: Green tea newbie

by scope » Jun 12th, '13, 08:28

Ok, i'll have a look through that!

Also i forgot to ask, i was planning to store my tea, in it's bag, inside a kilner jar, is this ok? These are the ones i've got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clip-Top-Kilner ... ilner+jars

Thanks again

Jun 12th, '13, 11:32

by amaranto » Jun 12th, '13, 11:32

Also, just another question, should i get some shincha from yuuki-cha?
any help is much appreciated!
Welcome!

I second Adam regarding the ban list.

Personally, I have purchased some very good teas there, especially the kamairichas, but I ultimately decided to stop after the whole fiasco that surfaced on this forum regarding the way they have treated some customers.

Your choice.

I just ordered from Mellow Monk for the first time because I heard their greens were very good. Great customer service, and the shipment is on its way.

Jun 12th, '13, 11:52

by sherubtse » Jun 12th, '13, 11:52

amaranto wrote:I just ordered from Mellow Monk for the first time because I heard their greens were very good. Great customer service, and the shipment is on its way.
Hope you enjoy the teas from Mellow Monk -- they have some great senchas! :mrgreen:

Here is a link to an interview with the founder. Hope you like it:

http://www.myjapanesegreentea.com/podcast-6-mellow-monk

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jun 12th, '13, 13:56

by Milo » Jun 12th, '13, 13:56

scope wrote:Also, just another question, should i get some shincha from yuuki-cha?
I prefer organic teas to conventionally grown— not because they're organic, but because I find them generally sweeter and less savory, and I prefer that. The perennial commotion over Yuuki-cha's business practices here at Teachat mystifies me. I've always just sent them money and then they send me tea. Same as any other vendor I've dealt with (and I've ordered from over a dozen or so). The one time there was a problem (last year one of their growers decided not to release one of the shinchas I'd pre-ordered), they let me know right away and we handled it within 24 hours.

Their Shimofuri shincha is delicious. Go for it.

Jun 12th, '13, 15:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 12th, '13, 15:27

Milo wrote:
scope wrote:Also, just another question, should i get some shincha from yuuki-cha?
I prefer organic teas to conventionally grown— not because they're organic, but because I find them generally sweeter and less savory, and I prefer that. The perennial commotion over Yuuki-cha's business practices here at Teachat mystifies me. I've always just sent them money and then they send me tea. Same as any other vendor I've dealt with (and I've ordered from over a dozen or so). The one time there was a problem (last year one of their growers decided not to release one of the shinchas I'd pre-ordered), they let me know right away and we handled it within 24 hours.
IMHO.

Yes, mystifies me as well! Always has. I find Dan of Yuuki-Cha to be a conniving and vengeful individual who expects 100% loyalty from his followers who he refers to as the "genuine tea lovers." Anyone who is less than 100% positive is not "genuine" and face the threat of banning, legal action. This is ludicrous, of course.

If his practices were not also carried over to his business practices, it would not be such a big deal. If he did not wrong customers by his policies and practices ... it would matter little to me. But he does and will continue to do so apparently.

This has not served him 100% well as instead of spreading organic good will, he seems to be making a growing and more vocal list of conscientious observers and former customers who disapprove of his behaviour.

I know of no other vendor who has been so divisive. I am truly mystified.

Dan may control his business, its policies, his sites, his facebook ... but he does not control the universe, the internet, TeaChat, individuals' free will ... freedoms of speech.

Jun 12th, '13, 15:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 12th, '13, 15:32

Scope, for Shincha you could try ...

O-Cha
Zencha
The du Japon
Maiko
Den's

Some of these also offer organics. Many members are currently sampling these as well via Shincha-OTTI.

(an ever changing personal fave 5)

Jun 12th, '13, 17:45

by amaranto » Jun 12th, '13, 17:45

amaranto wrote:
I just ordered from Mellow Monk for the first time because I heard their greens were very good. Great customer service, and the shipment is on its way.

Hope you enjoy the teas from Mellow Monk -- they have some great senchas!

Here is a link to an interview with the founder. Hope you like it:

http://www.myjapanesegreentea.com/podcast-6-mellow-monk

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Thanks! I actually listened to this podcast a few days ago. I hope I enjoy the tea, too, and it is good to hear someone else does.

+1 to O-Cha. They have great tea and teaware (though I've admittedly ordered more of the latter from them).

I don't drink nearly as much Japanese green as Chinese teas in general, but one thing I look for is extremely fresh tea when buying sencha or gyokuro. Some unfresh teas of these types develop what I would describe as an unpleasant taste that I can't find a good word for but recognize when it's there, and this happens after they've been open for around three months, usually.

I hope this info helps the OP.

Jun 17th, '13, 14:28

by scope » Jun 17th, '13, 14:28

Just a quick question before i order this.
What should i store these in, i've seen some cannisters for sale on the sites that sell green tea, i've got some airtight kilner jars, i was wondering which would be better

Thanks

Jun 17th, '13, 19:43

by Joel Byron » Jun 17th, '13, 19:43

As long as the rubber seals don't make the jar smell funny you should be fine. Keep them in a cool, dark place away from light if you decide to use them. Tea in storage doesn't like light.

+ Post Reply