Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 13th, '13, 19:19

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by tenuki » Jun 13th, '13, 19:19

winter 2012 shan lin xi from FLT.

And yes, Ethan, my pot is completely stuffed and I use boiling water.

Jun 13th, '13, 20:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jun 13th, '13, 20:10

edkrueger wrote:Had some 2013 Spring SLX Yang Zi Wang from Origin. Really nice tea –has some more body than most 2013 gaoshan I've had.

Some econ inspired snapshots.
Nice pics!

Jun 14th, '13, 06:28

by Math » Jun 14th, '13, 06:28

Had 2012 Dong Ding Select from FLT last night. The roasting artifacts have now vanished but this tea is tad too subtle for my current taste. I guess perhaps her Dong Ding Traditional would be better suited for my palate. A bit of honey in the later infusions but I miss the smoky caramel flavours that I long for in this type of tea.

Jun 14th, '13, 06:36

by daintydimsum » Jun 14th, '13, 06:36

My mother and I enjoyed a lovely Ban Tian Yao (early spring 2012) we bought from Malaysia. The promised orchid aroma isn't very prominent, with a lovely honeyed scent (and flavour) shining through the rich smoothness instead.

Jun 14th, '13, 14:27

by Risdt » Jun 14th, '13, 14:27

Charcoal roasted TGY from Origintea. I think I fell in love with this one :oops: It's great: coffee, rhubarb, islay smokiness, caramel and a full mouthfeel.
Cannot wait to have another tête-à-tête with this one, great evening company! :D

Jun 14th, '13, 22:35

by edkrueger » Jun 14th, '13, 22:35

Thanks for the compliments. I made some more pictures. The tea is the SLX LFX –also from Origin. I liked the LFX a bit more than the YZW (to coin a new acronym). LFX has more of that LFX "zing" and some umami. YZW has maybe a bit more body and is more floral.

Jun 15th, '13, 02:12

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 15th, '13, 02:12

Today I pour a "Taiwan Best Tea"...a nameless tea sent to me from a Taiwanese friend while I was in Taiwan this last year. However, this time the package title is correct. It is a great tea, a nice, lightly roasted high mt. wulong tea rolled in large, even sized balls, bright green, with a hint of roast that comes out as a slightly buttery/cream finish with a preceding sweet, floral osmanthus flavor: 6.5 grams of leaf, 95 deg. filtered water, in my 130 ml Shimizu Ken kyusu; It goes an even 8 rounds.

Jun 15th, '13, 06:50
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jun 15th, '13, 06:50

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Today I pour a "Taiwan Best Tea"...a nameless tea sent to me from a Taiwanese friend while I was in Taiwan this last year. However, this time the package title is correct. It is a great tea, a nice, lightly roasted high mt. wulong tea rolled in large, even sized balls, bright green, with a hint of roast that comes out as a slightly buttery/cream finish with a preceding sweet, floral osmanthus flavor: 6.5 grams of leaf, 95 deg. filtered water, in my 130 ml Shimizu Ken kyusu; It goes an even 8 rounds.
Don't suppose it's from Lishan - Hua Gang, Tian Chi Factory? 華岡台灣第一等

Jun 15th, '13, 13:07

by etorix » Jun 15th, '13, 13:07

Da Hong Pao Medium Roast from Life in Teacup

interesting, this is actually the first Chinese mainland tea ive had for awhile

as well as my first order from Life in Teacup ...
This tea was made of Da Hong Pao (also called Qi Dan or Bei Dou No. 1) cultivar and manually processed by a tea worker of over 40 years of experience
and indeed even before id read the above i'd had a feeling of quiet unassuming mastery from this tea ..

i shall follow this session with some Da Hong Pao Manually Processed (directed by Luo Shengcai) 2010

and THEN some of her DaYuLing ..

Jun 15th, '13, 14:27

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 15th, '13, 14:27

SilentChaos wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Today I pour a "Taiwan Best Tea"...a nameless tea sent to me from a Taiwanese friend while I was in Taiwan this last year. However, this time the package title is correct. It is a great tea, a nice, lightly roasted high mt. wulong tea rolled in large, even sized balls, bright green, with a hint of roast that comes out as a slightly buttery/cream finish with a preceding sweet, floral osmanthus flavor: 6.5 grams of leaf, 95 deg. filtered water, in my 130 ml Shimizu Ken kyusu; It goes an even 8 rounds.
Don't suppose it's from Lishan - Hua Gang, Tian Chi Factory? 華岡台灣第一等
Silent Chaos,
(Every time I type your name I have this great image of sub-atomic particles colliding and collaborating in the silent, unseen under structure of reality. :) )

I hope you are well...and thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with the factory; I'll look it up. It's hard to say, I received two boxes, sent to Taizhong from Gaoxiong, from a friend, each with 300 grams of tea. I thought the tea would be moderate. But it turns out to be a really great tea. The flavor is more lively and less subtle than other Li Shan teas, as well the liquor is a bit more yellow. Next time I'll post pictures. The Mandarin on the red box doesn't give a location for farm or elevation...just says “高山茶”, has some wishes for prosperity ("年年富貴“). The bottom does say "chiu fu, 久(福?)"; the phone number is (02) area code so the co./office at least is in Taibei. Whatever tea it is, I'm enjoying it.

Jun 16th, '13, 12:02

by etorix » Jun 16th, '13, 12:02

staying with YanCha today:

Wu Yi Rock Tea - Rou Gui 2009 from http://the-chinese-tea-company.com

Jun 16th, '13, 14:08

by tortoise » Jun 16th, '13, 14:08

Winter 2012 Lishan from FLT. Mellow, but still smooth and sweet. It has been over 1 year since I've had high mountain oolong. Puts a smile on dis face. :D

Jun 16th, '13, 16:26

by debunix » Jun 16th, '13, 16:26

Enjoying some Charcoal Roasted Dong Ding from Norbu, an exceptionally mellow and forgiving tea: I'd forgotten to brew something up before a long evening drive, so I tossed leaves into the pot, poured in hot water, and drove off. I had a couple of cups along the road, but most of it sat overnight, and today is still warm and toasty. Enjoying it in my drippalicious Petr Novak Chawan, a very nice combinaton for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Jun 16th, '13, 23:53

by debunix » Jun 16th, '13, 23:53

A pleasant session with a very delicate a pleasant bonus from my order from Morning Crane Tea: Tsui Yu, Evergreen Jade light oolong from Taiwan. It reminds me of the jade oolong from the recent OTTI from Mountain Tea, delicate and mild with just enough floral and vegetal flavor to be quite pleasing.

Jun 17th, '13, 10:11

by Math » Jun 17th, '13, 10:11

Shui Xian night with friends yesterday. Second one we had was the 93 Buddha cliff Shui xian from FST. The aged character gave a nice sparkling zesty quality to the tea. Also some very nice tannins. I really enjoy this tea.

+ Post Reply