Tea and Heartburn

For general/other topics related to tea.

Tea and Heartburn

Postby JRS22 » Jun 18th, '13, 12:44

I'm looking for advice about which teas are safe to drink while I'm dealing with a major heartburn problem. I don't expect a tea to cure my problem, but I'm hoping there's something I enjoy that won't worsen it. I'm having trouble testing teas myself because when my condition worsens its difficult to figure out if it was the meal or the tea.

I have on hand wuyi oolongs, puerhs (shu and sheng), the Shincha OTTI and some bai mu dan. I'm leaving out the houjica karigane that I tried this morning - I'd rather not drink tea than repeat that experience!
JRS22

Re: Tea and Heartburn

Postby John Delaney » Jun 18th, '13, 13:01

We would need some more information to give a qualified answer. Some things that would be helpful to know are:
1. Is your heartburn associated with acid reflux or something else?
2. What is your diet and/or exercise currently like?
3. When do you normally eat your last meal?
4. What teas are you drinking and when do you drink them? After meals, before meals, etc?
5. When does the heartburn occur? While you sleep? After big meals?

That being said, tea usually works as a digestive aid that can help break down a meal in your stomach. For example, puerh's are noted for this. I would think that tea would normally help reduce the effects of potential heartburn. However, it could be the extra caffeine in tea is not agreeing with your system as it is just enough to bring on the heartburn with the meal. If this is the case, one alternative could be to drink a herbal tea like Rooibos that does not have caffeine but still works as a digestive.
John Delaney

Postby JRS22 » Jun 18th, '13, 13:16

I've chosen to not include answers to all your questions because I believe that's way beyond the scope of this forum, and I'm not looking for any advice except the relative impact of different teas. I've already got my medical plan for food etc.

I'm just hoping that someone with actual experience with heartburn, or more specifically reflux, can tell me about the teas that they've found didn't worsen things, or even better, actually helped them. Otherwise I may have to cover my tea cabinet with a sheet until I'm better :( :( :(
JRS22

Postby teaisme » Jun 18th, '13, 14:14

JRS22 wrote:I don't expect a tea to cure my problem.... when my condition worsens its difficult to figure out if it was the meal or the tea.

I think you already know that the underlying cause is not the teas, so instead of spending time looking for teas that agree with your current symptoms, perhaps time is better used finding the root cause of the reflux.

unpasteurized apple cider vinegar diluted in water (or tea) has helped a lot of people with reflux.
Some acv, water, lots of bones, some mushrooms, okra,and organic soy sauce (or organic miso) stew might help your stomach if you feel like the lining is weak or gut flora bad.

Hope you get better man. :)
teaisme

Postby lordmage » Jun 18th, '13, 14:17

in my case i have a mild burn. i find that most flavored whites do not cause a re-flux i tend to less sugar then i normally would if it was a citrus base tea and also drink it warm rather than hot right out the infuser. for me greens are a hit or miss in terms of a trigger so i limit my scope there. while you may fell that those questions he asked are beyond the scope of the forum.
as someone who has a re-flux i found that asking the question more clearly would have gotten you better responses .

I'm looking for advice about which teas are safe to drink while I'm dealing with a major heartburn problem.(heart attack,gerd,burn) I don't expect a tea to cure my problem, but I'm hoping there's something I enjoy that won't worsen it. (again what it.) I'm having trouble testing teas myself because when my condition worsens its difficult to figure out if it was the meal or the tea.(well try tea only before the meal and find out)
ill break it down a bit for you.

i might of asked it something like this :
i would like some input of drinking teas that would not trigger or help lessen my _____ (fill in the blank)? including any meal planing or pre-meal or pre-tea drinking tips i am already dealing with my diet and exercise (which are limiting my use of citrus based drinks and fruit, removing gluten from my diet) ( i am adding more workout time in my week)

the reason why i have it like that is your first statement says your unsure weather it was the tea or the meal. it is not like you are perfect any chance to learn should be welcomed not throw off

I'm not looking for any advice except the relative impact of different teas.
that should be your first question

I'm looking for any advice about the relative impact of different teas. on (blank) condition.
lordmage

Postby Chip » Jun 18th, '13, 14:18

Although you may not know this, I have had ARD for over a decade now, though I manage to keep it in check the vast majority of time with very few alterations to my diet and lifestyle ...

I am convinced that it is generally not one single thing that triggers an outbreak of ARD, but a combination of things all coming together including diet, habits, stresses, even how I sit while at the computer.

The biggest initial discovery was, I need to be fully involved in understanding my condition and NOT rely on the medical professionals I had trusted. I read a lot about it back then ... interestingly the biggest changes that I purposely chose was to eliminate peppermint tisane which I drank a lot of back then ... and focusing on green tea. I am convinced some other teas may have aggrevated the condition.

On this forum I credited green tea for my turn around. However recently other factors have overcome the benefits of green tea including drinking too much of a good thing ... Japanese green tea (I suspect especially on an empty stomach).

I again dove into this subject as my condition became quite extreme and incredibly painful and difficult to overcome.

While I suspect being older now has had an impact on this, I also suspect the stresses brought on by the road rage incident I was involved in had major impacts. So much so, I feared I would have to give up tea for at least a period while I healed as there are some residual effects from a serious ARD condition.

Happily I made adjustments and seem to be recovering quite well. I can attest that ARD is no picnic and it can impact every aspect of one's life.

And I am currently reading Dropping Acid.

Oh, I "enjoy" drinking aloe ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby tenuki » Jun 18th, '13, 15:06

My heartburn and ulcer feelings entirely disappeared when I took japanese green tea off the menu. Now I sometimes drink it, but not like I used to.
tenuki

Postby Chip » Jun 18th, '13, 15:13

tenuki wrote:My heartburn and ulcer feelings entirely disappeared when I took japanese green tea off the menu. Now I sometimes drink it, but not like I used to.

An example how everyone is different and reacts to different stimuli quite differently as my reactions were to other teas while Japanese greens appeared to help.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Jun 18th, '13, 15:45

I was up in the wee hours of Saturday morning unable to sleep because of heartburn, surfing the net for info on gerd. I discovered Dropping Acid on Amazon and was able to read about the 'induction' diet there. (It's a list of very safe foods to eat for several weeks, to begin healing, to be followed by testing other food items.). The list made sense to me, or at least the vegetarian subset that applies to me, so I'm giving it a try, even though it means no nectarines and no cherries. I was up for hours, enough time to read all the additional info on the Dropping Acid blog.

The problem with asking a broader question than just experience with tea is that teachatters are a helpful bunch. I knew i would be receiving lots of advice, some that doesn't apply to me, like cooking with bones, and some of it contradictory.

That's why I asked specifically for experience with tea. I was hoping there would be a link to a scholarly article proving that Japanese greens don't cause heartburn. In the absence of that I probably should just drink my adagio rooibos (considered safe by the authors of Dropping Acid) and wait two weeks to add back other teas.

As for stress, there's nothing in my life recently that compares to Chip's experience with road rage. The aftermath of hurricane sandy was pretty stressful, but that was back in October, and this problem flared up in May.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Jun 18th, '13, 17:40

Ah yes, waking up with it is truly exasperating!!! You just want to lie down and go back to sleep ... which for most ailments is the right thing to do, so it is doubly frustrating to have to get up, drink copious amounts of water or medicate ... and walk/groan it off. Ugh.

Funny ... but not. During periods of flare ups, I will go months with always having a bottle of water with me. If I realize I do not (or am forced to part ways with it such as boarding a flight), I immediately get quite anxious ... which of course can and has cause(d) episode(s).

I am not neurotic, really I am not ... 8)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby edkrueger » Jun 18th, '13, 18:02

JRS22 wrote: I was hoping there would be a link to a scholarly article proving that Japanese greens don't cause heartburn.

I'd hate to say it but (Japanese) tea almost certainty causes heartburn. :(

Try a bowl of koicha on an empty stomach with no sweet and I can almost guarantee you will get heartburn whether or not you have gerd.

I'm sorry to hear that you have this problem :(

One suggestion for something to drink I have is mugicha.
edkrueger

Postby JRS22 » Jun 18th, '13, 22:50

edkrueger wrote:I'd hate to say it but (Japanese) tea almost certainty causes heartburn. :(

I'm sorry to hear that you have this problem :(

Thanks for the sympathy.

I'm toying with the idea that if I can't drink japanese greens for a while that maybe chinese greens would be more gentle.
JRS22

Postby yalokinh » Jun 18th, '13, 23:42

I don't have it often but when I do I always find a little relief in shu puer. I usually drink a good 20 oz of it brewed. I make it in a large mug, drop 3g of the tea in some boiling water, it should be good in 5 minutes. shu can be dirt cheap so theres that. Hope it helps
yalokinh

Postby jayinhk » Jun 19th, '13, 01:18

yalokinh wrote:I don't have it often but when I do I always find a little relief in shu puer. I usually drink a good 20 oz of it brewed. I make it in a large mug, drop 3g of the tea in some boiling water, it should be good in 5 minutes. shu can be dirt cheap so theres that. Hope it helps

That would have been my suggestion too, although I'd rinse twice. ;)
jayinhk

Postby lordmage » Jun 19th, '13, 06:30

well ultimately whats good for the goose might not be good for the gander...

when it comes to what teas would or would not trigger is up to your body. what is proven can easily be disproved.
lordmage

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions