Tea and Heartburn

For general/other topics related to tea.

Re: Tea and Heartburn

Postby yalokinh » Jun 19th, '13, 12:07

jayinhk wrote:
yalokinh wrote:I don't have it often but when I do I always find a little relief in shu puer. I usually drink a good 20 oz of it brewed. I make it in a large mug, drop 3g of the tea in some boiling water, it should be good in 5 minutes. shu can be dirt cheap so theres that. Hope it helps

That would have been my suggestion too, although I'd rinse twice. ;)

Oh right, yes. Do that
yalokinh

Postby teaisme » Jun 19th, '13, 14:26

JRS22 wrote: I was hoping there would be a link to a scholarly article proving that Japanese greens don't cause heartburn.

ohh um......here is slightly the opposite :?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3179841/

With regard to beverages, the present study also demonstrated that drinking green tea was a significant associated factor for GERD and NERD. Traditionally, Japanese have always been green tea drinkers. Although a relationship between drinking tea and GERD has been reported in European countries, European tea and green tea are not the same. Caffeine is an ingredient of both typical European tea and green tea, and it appears likely to contribute to GERD. However, drinking coffee was not found to be a significant associated factor in the present study. As to other ingredients in tea, catechin possesses diverse pharmacological properties including having anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, anti-arteriosclerotic and anti-bacterial effects . Green tea consumption has also been shown to be negatively associated with the risk of chronic atrophic gastritis, as green tea can suppress the proliferation of H. pylori in the stomach and inhibit the progression of chronic atrophic gastritis. Therefore, green tea should increase, if not preserve, gastric acid secretion that leads to the development of GERD symptoms. This was reflected in our present analyses, as we found green tea to be a significant associated factor for both GERD and NERD.
teaisme

Postby teaisme » Jun 19th, '13, 14:45

while browsing the topic I found this interesting article, and takes a good guess at the trends I have seen lately

could potentially help you, could potentially give you stomach cancer etc, but.... if you feel like inoculating yourself to see if it will work in the future ...I'm sure others would be grateful :mrgreen:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21870139
teaisme

Postby Chip » Jun 19th, '13, 14:48

Interesting! (regarding teaisme's previous post)

However, I would like to know how much tea is consumed in the study (about to run out the door now and not sure if it is in the linked article). Like anything good for you, too much can be detrimental. Even too much water can cause symptoms for me and others I have spoken to.

Since I have moderated my consumption, eaten something prior to tea, and moderated diet and other contributing factors, I have not experienced symptoms.

Of course, I want to be able to drink Japanese green tea and am making efforts to make it work for me personally.

Some other teas such as Assam have given me plenty of other GI problems in the past, and I have since given them up. But I have not given up on Japanese greens. And while too much is potentially problematic, lesser amounts may have positive effects not exhibited in this particular study.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Jun 19th, '13, 14:59

Thanks, teaisme, for finding and posting this article. On first reading it seems to rule out drinking japanese greens when I feel better. On the other hand, if I improve some of the other lifestyle factors, like sleeping more and exercising more, then I think there's room for some optimism on adding back japanese greens later. There was a chart of r values for individual and combined factors, but my statistics are very, very rusty.
JRS22

Postby tenuki » Jun 20th, '13, 13:47

I do eat before or while drinking japanese green tea, which seems to help.

Another thing I've noticed is that if a green tea has stems in it I am much more tolerant of it. I like kukicha and chinese greens so that is good. :)
tenuki

Postby JRS22 » Jun 20th, '13, 14:53

tenuki wrote:I do eat before or while drinking japanese green tea, which seems to help.

Another thing I've noticed is that if a green tea has stems in it I am much more tolerant of it. I like kukicha and chinese greens so that is good. :)

I figured out the need to eat first, especially first thing in the morning! Your other experience is good news for me as stem tea is my favorite - I crave Karigane Sencha Otsuusan from O-Cha, but I may need to learn to make a less intense brew.

I've been drinking white teas the last few days and that's been good - jasmine silver needles and bai mu dan, so I'm hopeful about chinese greens.
JRS22

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions