2013 spring cakes

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 24th, '13, 12:48

2013 spring cakes

by gasninja » Jun 24th, '13, 12:48

So does anyone have any thoughts/reviews on any of the spring cakes that you have tried. Aside from the fact that they are to expensive.

Jun 24th, '13, 12:58

Re: 2013 spring cakes

by tenuki » Jun 24th, '13, 12:58

I'm ignoring them - in the samples I've tried I really don't see this season as being any better than any other, at least not to justify these prices. It's just speculation, it will die down, no need to waste my money on other people's foolishness just so I can get _this_ season's tea. IMHO this is a prime time to buy 2006-10 cakes that are cheaper and already are starting the aging journey.
Last edited by tenuki on Jun 24th, '13, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 24th, '13, 13:40

Re: 2013 spring cakes

by gasninja » Jun 24th, '13, 13:40

Tea urchins lao manee is very nicely balanced.I really enjoyed it and I am not generally a fan of LME teas. It seems to o have struck a nice balance blending the bitter tea with the sweet.
The yi wu blend was my favorite. The aroma was very complex and change greatly through the session. Nice clean feel with an up lifting cha qi.

The yibang on the other hand I was not very impressed with.

Essence of tea decided to press old moacha to avoid the insane prices of fresh moacha this year. It may have been a smart move. 2007 tea from the mythical land of qi she ng GU. Which I believe is some where in Narnia. This is really a whole different beast from the generally unimpressive 2012 QSG. You can taste the similarities but this tea is much thicker with a nice throatiness. Being EOTs cheapest tea this year comparatively it seems like a smart buy.
The 2009 wuliang wild tree. This is an interesting tea . I am not sure how it will age. But it is very enjoyable to drink right now very smooth. I prefer this to the Qui she ng GU but it has a much bigger price. I suspect the da due shan ( which I have not tried yet) will be my favorite. But it s not easy to find true wild tree. I suspect this is genuine.

+ Post Reply