Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 24th, '13, 23:22

Re: Official Pu of the day

by seollasido » Jun 24th, '13, 23:22

2002 Dayi Yiwu Wild Arbor Special Grade from Fine Puer -- I'm not too sure what to think of 10~ year old cakes that have almost no astringency -- is that a matter of storage, or is it more related to how well it'll age in the future? (Since astringency that returns as sweetness is what to look for in these, right?) There's huigan, but it's not that sweet or apparent. Lasting after-taste, alerting qi. But there's something off about it, and I don't think it's interesting enough for the price tag to look into it more.

My vacation is being ruined by the fact that I didn't bring enough puerh with me so I just want to go back. There's gaoshan to keep me company I suppose...

Jun 24th, '13, 23:43

by Tead Off » Jun 24th, '13, 23:43

seollasido wrote:2002 Dayi Yiwu Wild Arbor Special Grade from Fine Puer -- I'm not too sure what to think of 10~ year old cakes that have almost no astringency -- is that a matter of storage, or is it more related to how well it'll age in the future? (Since astringency that returns as sweetness is what to look for in these, right?) There's huigan, but it's not that sweet or apparent. Lasting after-taste, alerting qi. But there's something off about it, and I don't think it's interesting enough for the price tag to look into it more.

My vacation is being ruined by the fact that I didn't bring enough puerh with me so I just want to go back. There's gaoshan to keep me company I suppose...
I believe that astringency is one of the qualities that is stronger in younger teas than aged ones. Most aged teas will become smoother. Perhaps if you find it too bland, maybe it has lost its vitality and flavor due to poor exposure to climate.

Jun 25th, '13, 09:28

by seollasido » Jun 25th, '13, 09:28

Tead Off wrote:
seollasido wrote:2002 Dayi Yiwu Wild Arbor Special Grade from Fine Puer -- I'm not too sure what to think of 10~ year old cakes that have almost no astringency -- is that a matter of storage, or is it more related to how well it'll age in the future? (Since astringency that returns as sweetness is what to look for in these, right?) There's huigan, but it's not that sweet or apparent. Lasting after-taste, alerting qi. But there's something off about it, and I don't think it's interesting enough for the price tag to look into it more.

I believe that astringency is one of the qualities that is stronger in younger teas than aged ones. Most aged teas will become smoother. Perhaps if you find it too bland, maybe it has lost its vitality and flavor due to poor exposure to climate.
I wouldn't call it bland (it's nice enough), but smooth, and even when you push it, you don't get much any astringency. I guess I'm just curious if that's a property of either a tea that won't age much more (and turn bland ), or whatever storage finepuer uses (seems to be Malaysia), since even their 06 stuff had a similar level of "smoothness" (although those were blends).

Jun 25th, '13, 22:00

by ChengduCha » Jun 25th, '13, 22:00

seollasido wrote: I wouldn't call it bland (it's nice enough), but smooth, and even when you push it, you don't get much any astringency.
I noticed this with some gushu at lower price levels and given that Dayi is the most expensive choice out there the material might be of the same grade. Might have something to do with the processing? Better to drink now in my opinion as it's unlikely to improve much with age, but it'll probably take some time until anyone comes up with empirical evidence regarding this.

Jun 26th, '13, 06:45

Re:

by Tead Off » Jun 26th, '13, 06:45

shogun89 wrote: 2007 Xiaguan Tibetan Flame

Astringency- some
Smoke- light
Dryness- little, on tip of tongue
Mouthfeel- Light
Hui gan- some
Flavor- pretty good
Overall value- good/great
Purchase again- yes

While this tea is certainly not fantastic it does the job of giving you a tasty hot beverage. The brick itself is absolutely ugly. The wet leaves are ugly. The liquor is a very dark caramel color which is strange for 2007. The bottom line is, it is a very good tea for the price. I find nothing about it offensive. It can be drunk now but would benefit greatly with aging. I have 2 bricks and will probably get another 1-2. I defiantly recommend this because it is so cheap. $5 for 250 grams is nearly nothing. So on your next order throw a few bricks in, I dont think you will be disappointed.

-Shogun :D
This was a review from almost 5 years ago. I thought I'd update it as I'm drinking some right now.

Astringency- almost none
Smoke- quite noticeable
Dryness- almost none
Mouthfeel- Light
Hui gan- some
Flavor- tainted with smoke but very smooth
Overall value- a hot beverage :lol:
Purchase again- no

Hard to argue with Shogun's original assessment except the overall value and non exceptional flavor/aroma. If you like smoky teas, this is a cheap drink. Shogun mentioned ugly. He couldn't have said it better. Even under $10, I wouldn't buy again.

Jun 26th, '13, 08:56

by gasninja » Jun 26th, '13, 08:56

2010 EOT Mansai wow I'm kinda shocked at how well this tea is progressing. Still is a little astringent but there are the makings of a nice hui gan developing and nice qi. Really it has stepped its game up.

The funny thing is I had almost thrown this tea in the trash as it was one of six victims of a pretty intense mold outbreak as a result of condensation forming on the wall of pumidor (Dec 2012) . Eerily similar to what happened to Hobbes http://half-dipper.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... s.html?m=1
I removed affected areas and put the contaminated cakes in segregated dry storage (60% rh) for three months. Now this tea is better than I ever remember it being. :lol:

Jun 26th, '13, 09:41

by apache » Jun 26th, '13, 09:41

gasninja wrote:2010 EOT Mansai wow I'm kinda shocked at how well this tea is progressing. Still is a little astringent but there are the makings of a nice hui gan developing and nice qi. Really it has stepped its game up.

The funny thing is I had almost thrown this tea in the trash as it was one of six victims of a pretty intense mold outbreak as a result of condensation forming on the wall of pumidor (Dec 2012) . Eerily similar to what happened to Hobbes http://half-dipper.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... s.html?m=1
I removed affected areas and put the contaminated cakes in segregated dry storage (60% rh) for three months. Now this tea is better than I ever remember it being. :lol:
Hmmmm...., mould is a necessity for ageing pu. :wink:

Jun 27th, '13, 10:39

by apache » Jun 27th, '13, 10:39

Have anyone tried 2006 Yan-ching Hao recently?
http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... cts_id=622

I'm drinking it right now and it tastes much more bitter than I could remember. I wonder would it taste stronger more character as it age? Or just another green tea puerh gone stale?

Jun 27th, '13, 11:03

by JakubT » Jun 27th, '13, 11:03

I just had to dump 2004 Dayi first chinese tea expo commemorative now - despite being from 2004, it is colored like piss, however, it tastes (probably) a lot worse than that. There is a good part of meadow flowers/honey (sort of like Youle), but the sourness and taste of rancid nuts is anything but good. Probably too tippy for its own good, this cake is.

I took Chawangpu's 2012 Yiwu Zhangjiawan instead (almost the same in color!) and that one is pretty good, though I prefer heavier, perhaps less floral areas of Yiwu myself. Nevertheless, it seems to develop well (compared to two months ago) - heavier, more interesting spicy tones started happening.

Jun 27th, '13, 11:50

by shah82 » Jun 27th, '13, 11:50

I have had YQH '06 a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty lacking in bitterness from where it used to be. Certainly not any of that green tea gone stale lasting bitterness. Biggest problem is that the fun is over in about seven to eight brews, but the remnant tea flavor is pretty sweet.

In Taiwan, this tea seems to be very well thought of, compared to so many of the more expensive teas Yang made in '06 and '07.

Jun 27th, '13, 13:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jun 27th, '13, 13:17

Some 2005 CGHT Menghai Yesheng. Pretty easy drinking, good stamina, but still a bit young/confused.

Jun 27th, '13, 17:10

by apache » Jun 27th, '13, 17:10

shah82 wrote:I have had YQH '06 a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty lacking in bitterness from where it used to be. Certainly not any of that green tea gone stale lasting bitterness. Biggest problem is that the fun is over in about seven to eight brews, but the remnant tea flavor is pretty sweet.

In Taiwan, this tea seems to be very well thought of, compared to so many of the more expensive teas Yang made in '06 and '07.
Thanks for the notes, shah82. I think I will put it back inside the box for another 6 or 12 months. To me it's not very enjoyable but I cannot state exactly what it is I don't like.

Jun 27th, '13, 17:14

by puerhking » Jun 27th, '13, 17:14

2012 YS Nannuo Duo Yi

The body on this tea is getting thicker. Grain and herbs dominate. No florals to be found which is nice for a change. This tea began quite timidly, but now seems to be improving in depth of flavor over time. Hope the trend continues.

Jun 29th, '13, 12:55

by gasninja » Jun 29th, '13, 12:55

Wisteria 03 qing teng Me ng song. This session leaves me pretty disappointed........ ( pause for effect) that I didn't' grab a bing.when I had the chance. Easily my best session with this tea. It seems to be much more substantial. Not as airy. Not a chunky heavy tea by any means but not as light as it initially seemed to be. Has a champagne sort of feel to it.

Jun 29th, '13, 13:18

by JakubT » Jun 29th, '13, 13:18

gasninja wrote:Wisteria 03 qing teng Me ng song. This session leaves me pretty disappointed........ ( pause for effect) that I didn't' grab a bing.when I had the chance. Easily my best session with this tea. It seems to be much more substantial. Not as airy. Not a chunky heavy tea by any means but not as light as it initially seemed to be. Has a champagne sort of feel to it.
Well said, there is a champagne feeling indeed!

+ Post Reply