Oct 15th, '12, 21:02

Re: Do you guys use scales?

by MacGuffin » Oct 15th, '12, 21:02

gasninja wrote:As long as the scale is used as a learning aid rather than a crutch.
Count me among the happy cripples. I pretty much always use a scale. Almost always have, always will.:mrgreen:

Jun 21st, '13, 21:05

by looseTman » Jun 21st, '13, 21:05

Chip wrote::roll: drug dealer scale? Jewelry scale? (jewelry scales have much higher resolution than what most of us need to weigh tea) ... neither ... why not simply refer to them as digital or electronic (pocket) scales which would facilitate searches?

Feel free to post a new topic as needed. This is what helps keep the forum current and not just a search result of antiquity. Most of us are happy to discuss rehashed topics. Of course you can always search via google or the forum's search feature as well.

Electronic or digital scales are readily available on amazon and ebay ... or google search. You will want one with resolution to .1 gram. And one that tares, though they all likely do. I have not looked lately at what is hot. I think a lot of members purchased My Weigh versions.

Some offer an optional weight for calibration. I was tempted to get one when I purchased mine 8ish years ago ... but it has never needed calibrating. You can always test your scale with a new dime which weighs around 2.3 grams.

My original batteries just gave out around a month ago, and I use it a LOT!
Hi Chip,

This is my first post w/Tea Chat.

I've been looking for a digital scale as you've recommended:
- resolution to .1 gram
- tare function
- My Weigh (I've also noticed recommendations for American Weigh.)

For a digital My Weigh pocket scale, the current model http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-660.html caught my eye.

However, I've seen reviews for several digital scales that included comments about the "annoying" battery-saving auto-off functions where the scale would turn off during the measurement process.

1. - Is this issue a concern for our application - measuring loose tea?

2. - Are there recommended models that do not have this issue because:
  • a. the auto-off function can be defeated or adjusted?
    b. the scale is AC/DC or AC only and thus does not employ a battery-saving auto-off function when AC powered.
Our tea scale will primarily be used at home rather than for travel. A model that doesn't require too much kitchen counter space would also be helpful.

Thanks!
Last edited by looseTman on Jul 3rd, '13, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 21st, '13, 21:16

by debunix » Jun 21st, '13, 21:16

Can't speak to the My Weigh in general, but I've yet to have a problem with a scale turning off while I was preparing tea, whether a single brewing or a tasting of several teas to be weighed at the same time.

My regular kitchen scale and two different 'pocket' scales for tea are all quite generous in their turn-off times, and yet batteries hold their charges in these for a long time.

Jun 21st, '13, 21:20

by looseTman » Jun 21st, '13, 21:20

Thanks for the quick reply. If I may ask, what brand(s) of scales are you using?

Thanks!

Jun 21st, '13, 21:29

by debunix » Jun 21st, '13, 21:29

I've got a couple of these and another like this.

Cheap and highly functional. The Fast Weigh scales work better with variously shaped and sized weighing containers.

Jun 21st, '13, 21:47

by looseTman » Jun 21st, '13, 21:47

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Jun 21st, '13, 23:42

by looseTman » Jun 21st, '13, 23:42

Additional recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks

Jun 22nd, '13, 00:42

by victoria3 » Jun 22nd, '13, 00:42

Hi there, did you see this previous thread;
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#unread
I posted my newly acquired, AWS-1KG Digital Scale 1000x 0.1g. It is very accurate, compact, nice to look at and reliable, but it does shut off after 1 1/2 minutes. I just give the scale bed a nudge if I want it to read longer.

Jun 22nd, '13, 10:04

by looseTman » Jun 22nd, '13, 10:04

Hi victoria3, Thanks for your reply & for pointing out the other thread. The AWS-1KG Digital Scale (1000 x 0.1g) appears to be a popular cost-effective model. I've seen it mentioned several times.

Jun 22nd, '13, 12:16

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 22nd, '13, 12:16

looseTman wrote:Hi victoria3, Thanks for your reply & for pointing out the other thread. The AWS-1KG Digital Scale (1000 x 0.1g) appears to be a popular cost-effective model. I've seen it mentioned several times.
I have the same scale and it is a nice scale; it's portable and works well (it's also inexpensive). I bought the 100g calibration weight with mine to check the scale and it has always been correct.

Jun 22nd, '13, 22:12

by etorix » Jun 22nd, '13, 22:12

nope, never used a scale

i think if id had one id have used it when first getting into this Yixing use-craze, but i mostly just use my hand ...

despite having far too many teascoops.

think i might just get one tho, i do find myself wondering with some teas

Jun 24th, '13, 05:11

by Tead Off » Jun 24th, '13, 05:11

looseTman wrote:Additional recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks
My AWS just died after a few years of regular use. The climate here in Bangkok is not kind to electrical appliances. But, I can recommend this scale and the size of it which I found excellent for uses both for tea and precious metals. Keep in mind, that the smaller pocket scales will not be useful for weighing things like a puerh cake or some packaged teas because many of these platforms are too small or awkward to get an easy, accurate reading. The AWS easily fits in a pocket. I think it's a good choice.

Jun 24th, '13, 12:31

by yalokinh » Jun 24th, '13, 12:31

I use a jewelers scale to .1 accuracy. Helps me get really consistent

Jun 26th, '13, 11:58

by MEversbergII » Jun 26th, '13, 11:58

Jun 26th, '13, 15:07

by tenuki » Jun 26th, '13, 15:07

For me instruments that quantify an experience tend to subtract from the qualitative aspects. I prefer largely qualitative experiences - ymmv.

I do use a scale for cupping if I'm doing a blind taste test or something. Otherwise no, same for timers.

Footnote: Out of curiosity several years ago I tracked my 'eyeballing' for a week, same 4 teas per day. I took notes on everything prior to weighing - what I wanted to get out of the tea that day, how I was feeling, what I remembered from last time, etc and then eyeballed the tea. I only weighed it and noted it down just prior to brewing after all the other stuff was written down. Curiously my eyeball technique was accurate to with ~+/-.25 gram over the week except in certain cases - and those cases had to do with wanting something different - for example: one day I noted that the previous session had been too strong, sure enough, I used less tea by weight. Another time I stated I was getting bored of the tea, again a bit more tea. This experiment settled this issue for me personally once and for all. For me I am confident that I can reproduce the amount of tea almost exactly, that a scale really adds nothing to my learning or experience. I also found it was interesting how each tea had settled into my personal taste preference and that they were all different ratios of tea/water. Modern man tends to not trust their senses, TV, virtual worlds, internet etc, but we are far more capable than we imagine if we just let ourselves get back in touch with our bodies.

+ Post Reply