Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 29th, '13, 21:23

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 29th, '13, 21:23

AdamMY wrote:The last of my 2012 Winter Lishan Cui Feng ( Light Roast) from Origin Tea. It just figures that the last session of this tea I have is the one that I finally zone in and start brewing it very very nicely.
Those are still great moments, when everything locks in...better later than never. :D

Today my wife, not I, brews Black Pearl Wulong, bought in San Francisco from Vital Tea Leaf, for successive rounds, taking some quiet time to herself in the tea room while I manage our 3.5 year old son. Her brew comes out nice..dark copper/amber liquor with wonderful coco notes and subtle TGY-like qualities...nice roast, a subtle and balanced tea.

Jun 30th, '13, 05:17

by Tead Off » Jun 30th, '13, 05:17

AdamMY wrote:The last of my 2012 Winter Lishan Cui Feng ( Light Roast) from Origin Tea. It just figures that the last session of this tea I have is the one that I finally zone in and start brewing it very very nicely.
Buy more!

Jun 30th, '13, 19:46

by etorix » Jun 30th, '13, 19:46

Competition Dong Ding Oolong 2010 - 凍頂烏龍比賽茶 sample from Origin

on the hottest day of the year here so far, a tea from 2010 Winter

packaging is a bit tight on this, theres no slack to roll up

the tea itself feels sinewy, still toasty

im not sure what i was expecting from a 'Competition' tea ..

not disappointing, not mindblowing neither

Jun 30th, '13, 21:00

by debunix » Jun 30th, '13, 21:00

I've been enjoying some Dayu Shan high mountain oolong from Wing Hop Fung today, tea that snuck into my checkout basket while on a mission to replace my sourdough crock. It's been a while since I've had a lush green high mountain tea like this, and it's like revisiting an old friend....mmmmmm nice.

Jun 30th, '13, 22:14
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 30th, '13, 22:14

Autumn 2011 Da Yu Ling from SC. At least I believe it is 2011. Lost some intensity since I last tried it, but still very pleasant and with less vegetal flavor and more sweetness and a touch of fruit (canteloupe perhaps).

Jun 30th, '13, 23:10
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jun 30th, '13, 23:10

jayinhk wrote:Autumn 2011 Da Yu Ling from SC. At least I believe it is 2011. Lost some intensity since I last tried it, but still very pleasant and with less vegetal flavor and more sweetness and a touch of fruit (canteloupe perhaps).
:shock: these are the same teas I handed you last year in November?

Jul 1st, '13, 02:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 1st, '13, 02:01

SilentChaos wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Autumn 2011 Da Yu Ling from SC. At least I believe it is 2011. Lost some intensity since I last tried it, but still very pleasant and with less vegetal flavor and more sweetness and a touch of fruit (canteloupe perhaps).
:shock: these are the same teas I handed you last year in November?
Yep :) Still very drinkable!

Jul 1st, '13, 19:39

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 1st, '13, 19:39

今天:an 8 gram sample that I brew 4 grams of in a 70ml Andrzej Bero, red clay teapot. The sample is from Pu Cha Hsiang Teahouse (普茶香茶坊), a tea co. run by Taiwanese indigenous people in A Li Shan, in Dabang Village, that has their own farms.. It is specifically a Spring, "ecologically grown," Anaiza High Mountain Oolong with 15-25% oxidation, light-middle roasting, using a qing xin cultivar.

Upon opening the sample I was surprised to see that each sample package, very nicely sealed, contains a full-sized oxygen absorber, the kind that is usually placed in a 150g type bag of tea. This is first time I have encountered this in a sample. The tea is, true to its region and cultivar, a fragrant mt. tea with good/balanced flavor notes with a moderately solid linger in the aftertaste.

The rolled, dry leaf is a nice blue-green. The wet, unfurled leaf looks to be decent/solid quality A Li Shan tea with pickings containing two or three larger leafs and a bud.

All in all...a decent, enjoyable tea.

Jul 2nd, '13, 14:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 2nd, '13, 14:08

I'm currently enjoying a tanbei that I picked up while in Singapore on the recommendation of a fellow TeaChatter. The aroma almost reminds me of a genmaicha... quite soothing.

Jul 2nd, '13, 17:04

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 2nd, '13, 17:04

今天:an 8 gram sample that I brew 4 grams of in a 70ml Andrzej Bero, red clay teapot. The sample is from Pu Cha Hsiang Teahouse (普茶香茶坊), a tea co. run by Taiwanese indigenous people in A Li Shan, in Dabang Village, that has their own farms.. It is specifically a Spring, "ecologically grown," Anaiza High Mountain Oolong with 15-25% oxidation, light-middle roasting, using a qing xin cultivar.
Today I pour what's left of this sample from my previous pour. I pour the same leaf, gram amount, water, using the same vessels. Only today I up the temperature from 93 deg. C to 95 deg. C. With this upping I notice a stronger presence of "artichoke" notes in the attack followed by a quick floral/sweet, finishing with a "gardenia" throat, with only subtle hints of cream.

Today I notice as well that, with both pours, this A Li Shan tea lacks the longevity, many steep possibility, of other higher quality A Li Shan wulong teas. It goes multiple rounds but, while good, subtle, and balanced, it is not an outstanding tea and lacks the prolonged liveliness I generally associate with good A Li Shan tea.

Jul 2nd, '13, 23:36

by debunix » Jul 2nd, '13, 23:36

More light oolongs today--TGY from Yunnan sourcing, and then Dayu Shan from Wing Hop Fung--a nice progression from this morning's Jungjak Korean green tea.

Jul 3rd, '13, 03:16

by etorix » Jul 3rd, '13, 03:16

today the last of a delicious sample of Gui Fei

a 'bugbitten'

from TTC

Jul 3rd, '13, 16:33

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 3rd, '13, 16:33

Today...a Wenshan Baozhong tea sampled and brought home from Tea Expo: 4.5 grams in an Andrzej Bero, red clay, 70ml teapot. Once again, a really rich, solid, tea. In fact, Taiwan baozhong tea has been my preference recently, the tea I am enjoying most amongst recent pours. I just received a 150 grams from TTC of the Spring comp. baozhong tea and a 25g sample of the this past Winter's comp. baozhong to test head to head, each from the same grower. I look forward to sitting with these teas soon.

Blessings!

Jul 4th, '13, 17:25

by debunix » Jul 4th, '13, 17:25

Cold-brewed Dayu Shan Taiwanese oolong, which really is terrifically tasty brewed like this, and perfect for a hot summer day.

Jul 5th, '13, 11:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jul 5th, '13, 11:02

All the dancong talk made me drink dancong today. Water just enough to cover leaves.

Nice peachy aroma/taste. Yum.

+ Post Reply