Jun 30th, '13, 05:14

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Tead Off » Jun 30th, '13, 05:14

tst wrote:Thank you both.

Good question on the concentric circles. To be honest I'm not sure, but I'm curious to know others' ideas on the matter.
I had the same thought as TJ. I also wonder about the ROC pot. I wonder if some of the Yixing experts on this board could chime in.

Jun 30th, '13, 07:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 30th, '13, 07:18

Yes, very interesting pots, tst, thanks for sharing! I am curious about the smear lines at the lid-pot interface on the ROC zhu ni. Is/was that a common potter's technique for smoothing the two, or something else?

Jun 30th, '13, 10:36

by tst » Jun 30th, '13, 10:36

I'm open and interested in any/all opinions and information anyone is willing to add, but I'll hold off on stating where the pot came from for now (so as not to sway anyone one way or the other :) ).

**I will add, the pot has a fairly high-walled lid-skirt design (highest of all my pots) and has a nice, high-pitched ring to it.

Jun 30th, '13, 10:49
Vendor Member

by nada » Jun 30th, '13, 10:49

tingjunkie wrote:Nice pots tst. What's up with the concentric circles on the Chen Ju Fang pot?
They're tooling marks from the bottom being finished on a sculpting wheel - similar to this one

Jun 30th, '13, 11:21

by gasninja » Jun 30th, '13, 11:21

I just did a rough comparison between the the huang LOng Shan pot, a pot from Chen Ju Fang pot using the number 2 zini http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=1335 and a Gaiwan. Using a 40 + year old Liu Bao tea.

Wow that number two clay is really spectacular.
It was easy to tell the HLS pot was an improvement over the Gaiwan. But with the zini pot it is hard to tell its the same tea the improvement was that drastic heightening the flavor while completely smoothing any rough spots and greatly improving the mouthfeel. But this pot has had allot more seasoning than the HLS so it might not be a fair comparison.

Jun 30th, '13, 12:33

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 30th, '13, 12:33

tst,

I really enjoy all three of those pieces as well as the sizes, particularly the modern Cheng Ju Fang Huang Long Shan pot. It must be nice to have your sheng pu setup dialed in and complete and to have your T.A.D. (tea acquisition disorder), as Debunix often titles it, momentarily satiated!

If you don't mind, can you put up or pm me a picture of the pear-skinned zhuni pot's bottom right side up so I can better read the Mandarin. Written as it is, on thin-carved on clay, it's hard to read upside down. I can read the first two characters: ”白雲“。。。"white cloud."

Jun 30th, '13, 20:49

by tingjunkie » Jun 30th, '13, 20:49

nada wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Nice pots tst. What's up with the concentric circles on the Chen Ju Fang pot?
They're tooling marks from the bottom being finished on a sculpting wheel - similar to this one

Thanks nada. I wasn't aware Yixing clay was so soft/malleable to be finished in such a way. If you have any more info on this process please share! Always looking to increase my knowledge. As a westerner, Yixing is such a tough subject to understand sometimes. :?

Jun 30th, '13, 21:24

by Teaism » Jun 30th, '13, 21:24

The concentric circles are artistic expression of the artist. Some artist like Fang Xi Chuen use this style on all his teapots. The circles are made by inverting the almost finish pot on the turning wheel, slowly spin the pot and gently carved in with fine bamboo whiskers.

Jul 1st, '13, 01:01

by tst » Jul 1st, '13, 01:01

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:tst,

I really enjoy all three of those pieces as well as the sizes, particularly the modern Cheng Ju Fang Huang Long Shan pot. It must be nice to have your sheng pu setup dialed in and complete and to have your T.A.D. (tea acquisition disorder), as Debunix often titles it, momentarily satiated!

If you don't mind, can you put up or pm me a picture of the pear-skinned zhuni pot's bottom right side up so I can better read the Mandarin. Written as it is, on thin-carved on clay, it's hard to read upside down. I can read the first two characters: ”白雲“。。。"white cloud."
Definitely. Here's one below that shows it more clearly (and hopefully more right-side up :D). Hope that helps. I'd be grateful to know what the inscription reads.

Jul 1st, '13, 07:59

by Lionel » Jul 1st, '13, 07:59

Thank you for posting those nice photos tst. What a great trio !
I have the same shui ping and the same Chen Ju Fang (mine has the handwritten signature of Chen Ju Fang at the bottom and "#10-02").
You said that according to you the Chen Ju Fang is lower fired than the shui ping. I would have said it is the opposite, because :
1/my shui ping makes a low pitched note (clong ?) whereas the chen ju fang makes a higher pitched note (cling !)
2/ my shui ping keeps inside a permanent smell whereas the chen ju fang doesn't...which could indicate it is more porous...

That is why I think I will pare my Chen Ju Fang with 0-3 shengs (higher fired clay, better expression of high notes, bitterness), and the shui ping with 3-20 years pu er.

Really not easy to find the best paring teapot/tea...

Jul 1st, '13, 08:58

by gasninja » Jul 1st, '13, 08:58

lionel I take it that you got your Chen Ju Fang HLS from the first order. I recieved mine from the initial order #9 of 10. It is the highest fired Pot out of the three pots and kettle I have that where made by her. It would be interesting to do a comparison to find if what they are fired different and what effect it has on performance.

Jul 2nd, '13, 13:46

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 2nd, '13, 13:46

tst wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:tst,

Definitely. Here's one below that shows it more clearly (and hopefully more right-side up :D). Hope that helps. I'd be grateful to know what the inscription reads.

Wow, I have now sat with my wife, and with her brother (both native Taiwanese), and tried, through our compiled Mandarin skill to unmask the meaning of the inscription. We all have guesses but it's hard to read. We all agree on the "white cloud" portion but the rest is speculative, which has made me want to understand it even more. For now, I'll have to walk away and embrace the mystery. :D

Jul 2nd, '13, 17:52

by tst » Jul 2nd, '13, 17:52

Thanks for all of your effort. Later tonight I'll see if I can edit the image in photoshop to make it easier to decipher :)

Jul 2nd, '13, 18:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jul 2nd, '13, 18:22

Don't knock yourself out... it's not the clarity of the picture, it's the style of writing. It's similar to the "grass style" of Japanese, but I'm not sure what the term is in Chinese. The difficulty is that many strokes get abbreviated into very artful swoops and swirls. And there's not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence that results.

Jul 2nd, '13, 18:55

by tst » Jul 2nd, '13, 18:55

This edit took 2 mins, but I know what you mean Drax.

Maybe a closer macro shot will help ... ?
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 2253 times

+ Post Reply