OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"

Postby Peacock » Jul 9th, '13, 01:20

I'm enjoying the Fushoushan this evening. Buttery, sweet, and delicious. Its aroma takes me straight to the clouds.
Peacock

Postby debunix » Jul 9th, '13, 02:58

2013 Spring, Lishan: Hua Gang Oolong

Floral, sweet, strong odor when opening the package
3.2 g of tightly rolled leaf, medium green, in a 60mL Seong-Il porcelain teapot

Water 200 degrees, first infusion 30 seconds
Sweet, buttery, spring hay and wildflowers, marvelous

2nd and subsequent, water up to 205 degrees, 45 seconds
perhaps a touch long, the butteriness is caught up in a grassier flavor, which softens with a touch more water, but the butteriness of the first infusion is still not there

3rd infusion, about 30 seconds
shorter improved this one, again the first overwhelming butteriness is still not there, but the sharpness of the 2nd infusion is gone, and it's got a strong high mountain oolong flavor--that hay/wildflower/summeriness that is so characteristic of these teas, sweet and delicious; I ate a strongly flavored sweet before this infusion, so probably didn't do it justice

4th infusion, 1 minute
longer infusion is ok now, sweet and tasty, herbaceous notes--some herbs in the hay meadow now

5th infusion, 90 seconds
still tasty and warm, but the sweetness is decreasing; herbacous notes are stronger, but not unpleasant

6th infusion, 3 minutes
smooth, light, heading to sweetwater, but very pleasant on the way, with a little of the butteriness from the first infusion, but more spare, and less sweet--I did make it fairly dilute for this first test, since I didn't want to take in too much caffeine too quickly

Pretty green leaves, quite intact, some larger, most smaller, still as plucked with several on a small branch

Quite a lovely experience.
debunix

Postby hopeofdawn » Jul 9th, '13, 10:35

Mine came yesterday, but I got home so late I couldn't immediately try it--can't wait to start tasting today after work!
hopeofdawn

Postby MacGuffin » Jul 9th, '13, 11:37

hopeofdawn wrote:Mine came yesterday, but I got home so late I couldn't immediately try it--can't wait to start tasting today after work!

Mine came yesterday, too! I haven't tucked into it yet, though. Chip, any preferences for which one to start?
MacGuffin

Postby Chip » Jul 9th, '13, 11:39

MacGuffin wrote:
hopeofdawn wrote:Mine came yesterday, but I got home so late I couldn't immediately try it--can't wait to start tasting today after work!

Mine came yesterday, too! I haven't tucked into it yet, though. Chip, any preferences for which one to start?

Structured as I am, I began with the least expensive of the bunch and worked my way to the most expensive.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby SilentChaos » Jul 9th, '13, 12:30

Just a few quick words. I'd suggest giving quite some attention to/emphasis on the aftertaste and huigan, especially when brewing at recommended or higher ratios, and especially the higher oxidation teas. There will be bitterness of course but it should change into sweetness/gan followed by salivation. :mrgreen:
SilentChaos
Vendor Member

Postby whatsinaname » Jul 9th, '13, 13:25

Received my samples yesterday too. I received two of the Cui Luan Lishan, omission of the Hua Gang. Typical for my luck! 8)

The Cui Luan was nice, but no major fireworks for me. All signs point to quality tea! My first pot of gaoshan this year, so smiles all around.

I do believe I'll need to place an order with Origin Tea at some point for further evaluation.

Cheers!
whatsinaname

Postby SilentChaos » Jul 9th, '13, 13:38

whatsinaname wrote:Received my samples yesterday too. I received two of the Cui Luan Lishan, omission of the Hua Gang. Typical for my luck! 8)

The Cui Luan was nice, but no major fireworks for me. All signs point to quality tea! My first pot of gaoshan this year, so smiles all around.

I do believe I'll need to place an order with Origin Tea at some point for further evaluation.

Cheers!

:cry: I'm sorry. That has to be my mistake. If you do, I'll make sure you get your Hua Gang sample as well.

:shock: ....I'm hoping this doesn't mean someone got 2 Hua Gang samples....
SilentChaos
Vendor Member

Postby MacGuffin » Jul 9th, '13, 14:00

Chip wrote:
MacGuffin wrote:

Structured as I am, I began with the least expensive of the bunch and worked my way to the most expensive.

My M.O. as well--thanks!
MacGuffin

Postby Splinters » Jul 9th, '13, 19:24

I started with the Shan Lin Xi today. A few first impressions after three steeps:

The scent on opening the bag is classic Taiwanese Oolong. Fresh, green, and reasonably strong. The tea itself is deep green and nicely rolled, with tips outstanding.

First steep: Strongly, almost one-note, floral. Floral in taste and scent. Good, thick texture. Smooth and no bitterness.

Second steep: My favorite steep on lightly processed oolongs like this is generally the second. And this steep lives up to expectations. The floral notes are now complemented with buttery overtones and there's a nice balance and complexity between the two. Great.

Third steep: At this point, the buttery character of the tea is now predominating. The steep is less complex, and the texture thinner. But it's still nice overall. Still no bitterness.

I like Shan Lin Xi, and on first impression, this is very nice selection. I'm looking forward to trying it -- and the other teas -- further.
Splinters

Postby SilentChaos » Jul 9th, '13, 23:28

New, updated brewing recommendation. :D

Use at least 2g of dry leaf per 30ml water, and always use off-boil to boiling water (95 degrees or higher) for every steep. Start with a flash rinse (a quick in-and-out steep to wash the dry leaves and warm up the brewing vessel); wait 1 to 2 mintues for the leaves to open up; start with 15 to 20 sec 1st infusion then brew to taste for subsequent infusions. We advise starting with these recommended parameters then experiment to find your own preferences.
SilentChaos
Vendor Member

Postby victoria3 » Jul 9th, '13, 23:43

I'm excited that I received OriginTea oolongs yesterday in the mail. Thank You. Since I'm now on the east coast visiting family with well water, it's going to take a few more days to figure out whether a Britta filter or store bought water works best because the Reverse Osmosis water here is a dud with my teas. On the other hand, the filtered water has done fine with the overpowering Yorkshire tea I've been drinking with the frenetic pace around here. I'm really lookinging forward to trying these special oolongs with a little calm soon. The views are spectacular, so lets see if I can get a few good shots to share with you.
victoria3

Postby Muadeeb » Jul 10th, '13, 00:36

I'm having 5g of the Da Yu Ling in a 100ml gaiwan. I love the green to blue colors in the dry leaves. The taste is sweet with a predominant melon aftertaste. I'm on steep 7 or 8 right now and I'm still getting some good flavors.
Muadeeb

Postby victoria3 » Jul 10th, '13, 14:28

SilentChaos wrote:
whatsinaname wrote:Received my samples yesterday too. I received two of the Cui Luan Lishan, omission of the Hua Gang. Typical for my luck! 8)

Cheers!

:cry: I'm sorry. That has to be my mistake. If you do, I'll make sure you get your Hua Gang sample as well.

:shock: ....I'm hoping this doesn't mean someone got 2 Hua Gang samples....

Mystery unravels; I ordered 2X each sample & received one extra Da Yu Ling & zero Cui Luan....
victoria3

Postby victoria3 » Jul 10th, '13, 17:46

I opened up first the Shan Lin Xi: Long-Feng-Xia High Mountain Oolong. Leaves are a nicely rolled deep green color, with subtle aroma rising and unfurl to display quite small young leaves. To save on leaves I began with a 2:1 ratio but now think 2.5:1 would have been richer for my palate. I went with store bought spring water from Whole Foods since the well water here is acting strange right now. A very pleasant oolong overall.
image.jpg
Shan Lin Xi: Long-Feng-Xia High Mountain Oolong Tasting Overlooking the Chesapeake Bay
image.jpg (107.42 KiB) Viewed 655 times

1st: 2gr:1 oz/ 20sec, nice flavor but too light for me. Next time longer or more leaf.
2nd: 40 sec, very flavorful, very nice. Fresh & clean with very pleasant astringency.
3rd: 1:30 sec, richer flavor very nice, good astringency, nice lingering palate.
4th: 3 min, nice again!
5th: 4 min, flavorful but different palate, less aromatic, less astringent. 
6th: 5 min, nice rich flavour still present although less floral.
7th: stove to 5 sec roll/15sec steep.
victoria3

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions