Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 6th, '13, 10:10

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by etorix » Jul 6th, '13, 10:10

and today here some Phoenix Dan Cong - Yellow Sprig (Huang Zhi Xiang) 2010

from the-chinese-tea-company .. and yes, its from China, and was about the last of her stock, so 'on sale'

nice high hints of fruit, i cant quite say its peach, i can say i shall take more care next time i brew this

also its nice to have a break from the 'Taiwan overtaste'

Jul 6th, '13, 11:22

by MacGuffin » Jul 6th, '13, 11:22

etorix wrote:and today here some Phoenix Dan Cong - Yellow Sprig (Huang Zhi Xiang) 2010 from the-chinese-tea-company.
I like Yellow Sprig a lot! I still have some from Seven Cups (I'm not sure they still carry it)--the price was right and it was quite easy to brew. Good stuff! It was one of my first dans.

Jul 7th, '13, 13:05

by debunix » Jul 7th, '13, 13:05

A couple of days away from TeaHome, making good use of cold-brewed teas & thermoses to have cool brew for the road. Dayu Shan from Wing Hop Fung was stellar in this role. So very very nice. Today I need to take a tea inventory preparatory to ordering some spring teas, but will wait for the latest OTTI offerings to arrive before I finalize orders.

Jul 7th, '13, 19:17

by puerhking » Jul 7th, '13, 19:17

Drinking some pretty good quality TGY from Go Shop Street. More herbal and less floral. Good value IMO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30Pcs-240g-Top- ... 35c08ff60c

Jul 7th, '13, 20:12

by etorix » Jul 7th, '13, 20:12

Wu Yi Rock Tea - Rou Gui - May 2009

this was my other 'End of Season Sale' purchase from http://the-chinese-tea-company.com, and , like the Yellow Sprig above, i kinda wish id got more

Jul 9th, '13, 19:15

by debunix » Jul 9th, '13, 19:15

Too much high mountain oolong for a couple of days, so today, for a change of pace, some Traditional Roast TGY from Norbu, lightly aged (fall 2009 harvest), which is sweet and a little fruity and a little toasty and just wonderfully mellow; and now a bit of 2011 Bai Ye Wang Dancong from Tea Habitat, sweetly fruity, and even though it's being brewed in a glazed porcelain gaiwan instead of the usual dinky 'yixing' dedicated to Dan Congs, still has no hint of bitterness. I should save this one to introduce other tea drinkers to Dan Congs--couldn't be a friendlier intro.

Jul 9th, '13, 22:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 9th, '13, 22:16

High roast SX from a local dealer from Chiuchow. His SX is the best I've had to date. For some reason I seem to drink SX after chewing betel quids...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paan

Jul 9th, '13, 23:23
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 9th, '13, 23:23

jayinhk, SX may just be the best tea for keeping your teeth white (instead of red). How often do you chew betel? Mixed w/ tobacco?

Jul 10th, '13, 00:54

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 10th, '13, 00:54

Today...pleasant rounds of a Taiwan wulong tea sample brought home from World Tea Expo World Origins Tasting Tour. It's a curious tea, with two very different/distinct leaf types blended together: a green light roast wulong leaf mixed with a dark oxidized wulong leaf (lightly, but not exactly, appearing similar to a dark roast TGY). The tea is interesting. The blending of the leaves is visible when dry but strongly present visually after brewing. The taste is a pleasant roast with cocoa notes underlined by a light floral.

Prior to this I drink a Taiwan Tea Crafts Winter 2012 Competition Baozhong tea. I brew it for three different sessions...one in a Lin's 100ml ceramic pot, one in an Andrzej Bero 70ml red clay pot, and one brew session in a newly arrived, glazed, 150ml Petr Novak pot. In the Lin's pot the tea barely comes alive compared to the other two pots, even with exact same water, temp., ratio of leaf to pot volume, etc. as my other two pours. In the Bero pot the leaf really comes alive (Andrzej's red clay continues to amaze me.) with increased hui gan, wonderful grassy notes, a mild buttery aroma, and a balsam sweetness. In the Petr Novak pot, given its glazing, the floral, high notes come out more fully and a richer candied flavor presents itself, with a richer aroma in the smell cup.

This TTC's baozhong is a really wonderful baozhong. I am enjoying it immensely. Next I brew it against TTC's Spring 2013 Competition Baozhong tea to taste what seasonal differences there are between the same style of tea, each made by the same tea master, harvested and processed in different seasons.

Jul 10th, '13, 09:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 10th, '13, 09:56

ethan, I chew one a day (when I have them) and the Indian ones I chew contain lime, rose petal preserve, cardamon, clove, soft betel nut, shredded betel nut and a honey-like syrup. I limit myself to one a day (and take long breaks when I run out) to minimize the oral cancer risk.

Jul 10th, '13, 12:32

by JRS22 » Jul 10th, '13, 12:32

Today is the second day of a session with EoT half-handmade Rou Gui. I purchased a 40 ml gaiwan from Shawn of Greenwood Studios and I'm very pleased with how easily it handles, to the point where its safe to use it one-handed with boiling water. I'll save the last bit of the sample for when my Tea Urchin order finally arrives so I can make some comparisons.

Jul 10th, '13, 17:46

by puerhking » Jul 10th, '13, 17:46

2011 Taiwan Wuyi from FL -

I've never been crazy about the 2011 version of this tea. The flavor is kind of soapy. Previous years have been better.

Jul 11th, '13, 02:09

by etorix » Jul 11th, '13, 02:09

Shan Lin Shee High Mountain Green Oolong - sample from TeaHome

id like to try this from a few other suppliers

Shan Lin Shee/Shi/Xi

Jul 11th, '13, 19:22

by etorix » Jul 11th, '13, 19:22

Dong Ding Oolong .. from Teaspring

quite why i bought Taiwan tea from a Chinese supplier im not sure .. wondering what their take was? dunno

Jul 11th, '13, 19:57

by AdamMY » Jul 11th, '13, 19:57

I was gifted some "supposed DYL" while I am not well versed enough in Taiwanese Oolongs, let alone Da Yu Ling specifically, but considering the taste profile of this one was aweful compared to the one I have had, I really hope this isn't the real deal.

+ Post Reply