OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"

Postby MIKE_B » Jul 13th, '13, 13:39

I brewed the Huang Gang sample last night.
10g in a 120ml gaiwan. Boiling Iceland Spring bottled water.
20 seconds for the first few steeps then getting long as time went on.
This tea had good staying power. Lasted longer than I wanted to stay up. The aroma hung in there until the end.
The mouth feel was slightly heavier than the Fushoushan but still very light. I liked the after taste on this one even better than the Fushoushan, especially around brew 4. Faint lingering tropical fruit.
Super strong flowery aroma on the first few steeps. Any stronger and it might be overpowering for me.
I enjoyed this session. It was a lot of tea to drink in one sitting, even for me. I was very alert, but not jangly. Relaxing.
MIKE_B

Postby rhondabee » Jul 13th, '13, 18:02

I tried the Da Yu Ling sample today. I used 1/2 the sample in a 120 ml gaiwan. I really loved this tea. The wet leaves had the strong complex scent that I expect from high mountain oolong. Do yourself a favor and after the rinse and after the first steep let the leaves cool down, then smell. The wet leaves had the most amazing fruity (tropical?) scent along with underlying butteriness/savoriness. I'm sure there was floral scent as well, but the fruity scent stood out the most. I almost didn't want to brew the tea, just smell it :D The tea did taste very good and was nice and brothy.
rhondabee

Postby AdamMY » Jul 13th, '13, 19:18

Today I had the Li Shan Hua Gang... Either this one is a bit rough going to start up, or both I and another memeber messed up the first 2-3 brews. But once I zoned in on it I got at least 6 more delicious infusions after the first few that left me wondering.

While I say they left me wondering, they were not bad per say, they just did not seem that great. They had a little too much astringency, even though other flavors were nice and good. But about brew 3 or 4 the astringency fades away and you are left with deliciousness.
AdamMY

Postby MIKE_B » Jul 13th, '13, 23:17

Brewed up the Cui Lan today.
Very subtle flavor and aroma. Caught just a hint of the roast in the first few brews.
For me, this tea was all about the huigan. The after taste and cooling effect were long lasting. Super mouth watering.
MIKE_B

Postby AdamMY » Jul 13th, '13, 23:51

Paradoxically I think I nailed hua gang the second go around. I upped the leaf by 50% so my 60ml yixing is half full of dry leaf and went to lightning infusions at first. Both aroma and taste are smooth and delicious with next to no astringerncy.
AdamMY

Postby Splinters » Jul 14th, '13, 12:08

I agree with others on the Cui Luan. It's most distinguishing feature is its "mouthwateringness," which it definitely has in spades.

I tried my third sample, the Fushoushan. It's also a subtler tea than the Shan Lin Xi, but with a very nice flavor profile, at once smooth, creamy, and lightly floral. In contrast to the Shan Lin Xi, I find that the floral elements emerge in later steeps and linger in a delicate way. Another nice selection.
Splinters

Postby edkrueger » Jul 14th, '13, 14:28

I had the Cui Luan Light Roast Oolong today. Some pictures here. I agree about the nice finish and the feeling.
edkrueger

Postby Chip » Jul 14th, '13, 15:04

edkrueger wrote:I had the Cui Luan Light Roast Oolong today. Some pictures here. I agree about the nice finish and the feeling.

Why not post some HERE as well! :idea: :!: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby AdamMY » Jul 14th, '13, 15:23

edkrueger wrote:I had the Cui Luan Light Roast Oolong today. Some pictures here. I agree about the nice finish and the feeling.

That pot looks familiar :-) we really need to coordinate a posting of our twins. I hope you used more tea than was in the photo, or I really am a hopeless addict.
AdamMY

Postby debunix » Jul 14th, '13, 22:03

Photos from a comparative tasting yesterday--with more leaf than the dilute late-evening first impressions from last week.

3 grams of each tea in matching tiny porcelain gaiwans, water about 30 mL per infusion. All are tightly rolled, bright green leaves.

Dry Leaf Scent:
Lishan: Cui Luan Light Roast--Light, leafy, grassy scent, herbaceous but not spicy
Fushoushan High Mountain--Next deepest scent, perhaps a little grassier
Lishan: Hua Gang--Something between 1st and 5th--hay, grassy, but also sweet
Shan Lin Xi: Long Feng Xia --Richest, heaviest scent: sweet, floral
Da Yu Ling 95K --A little stronger roast to the scent of this one, but still sweet, floral

First infusion, 165 degrees, 30 seconds (forgot to reset the kettle, my goof): less difference in liquor than I'd expected from the leaf, but the leaves do tell the story--Da Yu Ling is a little more roasted, Hua Gang is a little sweeter than I expected from the leaves, but not quite as rich as the Fushoushan or Shan Lin Xi.

2nd infusion: 205 degrees, 1 minute.
Cui Lan--Summer hay, warm, a little toasty, too tasty to be disciplined and drink only part of the infusion--drank it all in one
Fushoushan--rich, sweet, bit of caramel
Hua Gang--a bit of spice
Shan Lin Xi--sweet, rich, deep
Da Yu Ling--a little toastier, warm, sweet

Hydrated leaves are completely filling the little gaiwans; following a suggestion from the latest post in the OTTI topic, I just took some deep whiffs

Cui Lan--very nice fruity sweet scent
Fushoushan--a little fruitier
Hua Gang--really sweet scent
Shan Lin Xi--deep, rich, but not so sweet
Da Yu Ling--warm, rich, deep scent, not so sweet, but….it's really powerfully floral without being very sweetImage

Third infusion, 205 degrees, 1 minute: Too many too close together: they're so similar that I can't separate them clearly at this point. The sweeter perfumy elements are decreased in all of them now; herbaceous and lightly spicy elements are coming to the fore.

At the end, I took the leaves out of the gaiwans, put them into a large teacup, added some hot water, and drank a last long infusion grandpa-style. Very tasty.

All of them were delicious. Can't really say which one I prefer yet, because they were all so tasty.

I need to do them all one by one with this level of leaf, larger infusions so I can give each one more attention.
debunix

Postby rhondabee » Jul 15th, '13, 14:09

Splinters wrote:I agree with others on the Cui Luan. It's most distinguishing feature is its "mouthwateringness," which it definitely has in spades.

I'm trying the Hua Gang now (1/2 sample, 120 ml gaiwan). It may be the power of suggestion, but I do find myself swallowing a lot after drinking this tea. I have never really thought about whether a tea made me salivate before, so I'll be paying to attention when trying the other samples. Compared to the Da Yu Ling it is not nearly as fragrant, but smelling the lid of the gaiwan it has a nice sweet fragrance. I find the tea broth to be nice and smooth, full bodied with a nice sweetness. I'm not getting a super sweet aftertaste, but I'm only on my 3rd steep. Overall I'm enjoying this tea very much.

Edited because I thought I was drinking the Cui Luan, but it was actually the Hua Gang.
Last edited by rhondabee on Jul 20th, '13, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
rhondabee

Postby lmno » Jul 15th, '13, 17:07

I am tasting from lower altitude to higher altitude, so I began with the 1700m SHAN LIN XI.

My romance began with my first cut into the package; I could smell the promise of a very fragrant high mountain tea. And not only does this tea have an alluring aroma, but the dry black-green nuggets are beautiful.

The first brew gave me a crystal-clear light yellow liquor with a wonderful bouquet. The taste was crisp and clean, although a little light at this point, but the sipping was easy. I could sip this all day. I detected no bitterness.
The leaves did not quite open in this first steeping.

The leaves opened completely in the second brew. As others have mentioned, this second soaking was the best! The color was richer and the flavor was deeper. It was in this second steeping that I detected a lovely citrus peel note...so crisp and clean and fresh.

The fragrance diminished with subsequent steepings, but the flavor remained sweet and clean. I really enjoyed this tea!
_ _ _

Climbing up 500 meters to 2200m, today I brewed the LISHAN: CUI LUAN. This tea, unlike the lower altitude Shan Lin Xi, does not have the bouquet. I smelled no fragrance upon opening the package. The light roast in this tea gives it some depth of flavor, but I find it to be rather ordinary. It is a nice and gentle tea, but it is not lovely or sweet like the Shan Lin Xi. By the third stew I was ready to move on to the next tea.
lmno

Postby victoria3 » Jul 15th, '13, 18:24

Debunix thank you those are great tasting pictures.  So far I have enjoyed the Lishan: Hua Gang Oolong the most. I found its flavors to be richer & more complex. Could be because I am using hotter water though. Since I am traveling & forgot to pack a gaiwan, I'm improvising using a small ceramic cup and a lid from a large teapot to hold back the leaves. My steeping set up has also improved, I located a speck inside the cup to directly pour to, resulting in hotter water (since I'm not pre-measuring in another cup now). I am using Trader Joe's New Zealand Artesian Water since we are having issues with the well water filtration system here.

Does anyone else cool your drinking cup with an ice cube between steeps? I got impatient waiting. By pre-cooling the cup the hot tea cools down more quickly to a perfect temperature. 

1st: 2.5:1, 8.8grams/ 3.52oz (100ml) /boil & pour out/ wait 1-2 minutes for leaves to open up / 35sec steep. Nice bouquet & astringency but a little light, would be better steeped longer.

2nd: 1minute. A little too long, astringency slightly higher than it should be, stop at 50sec. next time. Nice flavors with rich lingering palate. 

3rd: went to 1:20sec. Nice! perfect timing, rich flavors, aromatic liquor. Musky. So far the tastiest richest steep.

4th: 2:10min. Perfect again, rich lingering palate with perfect astringency. Nice aroma.

5th: Got distracted and went to 4:25min. Slightly astringent but pleasant, would have been better at +-3:50min. Flavors are still quite rich although slightly thinner. Nice lingering palate.

6th, 7th & 8th: Stove top 5 sec roll/ 35sec steep. Wonderful aroma emerged from the stovetop steep. A deeper golden liquor with pleasant rich flavour range. A very pleasant oolong.
victoria3

Postby saxon75 » Jul 15th, '13, 23:32

This weekend I tried out the Shan Lin Xi and the Cui Lan. For both I used all 10g in a 180 ml porcelain gaiwan.

I enjoyed both quite a bit. The Shan Lin Xi was floral and pleasant. I didn't find it to be very complex, but to me it tasted exactly like what I think of when I think of high mountain oolong. Clean and smooth with no bitterness, very floral in the first steep, balancing with a bit of astringency in the later steeps. I thought I got a bit of a toasted flavor in the second steep.

Shan Lin Xi: 20 sec/40 sec/60 sec/80 sec/100 sec @ 95C, 10g in 180 ml gaiwan

The Cui Lan surprised me by being extremely fruity. I didn't notice it in the smell of the dry leaf, but both the wet leaf and the liquor had a lot of stone fruit--apricots and peaches--particularly in the first steep. I thought I got a bit of sugarcane in the second steep, and in the third through fifth it settled into a more herbaceous profile, but still with that fruit throughout. And, as some others noted, I found that it made me salivate rather a lot.

Cui Lan: 20 sec/40 sec/60 sec/80 sec/2 min @ 95C, 10 g in 180 ml gaiwan.

Very nice, both of them, though I liked the Cui Lan more.
saxon75

Postby Chip » Jul 15th, '13, 23:46

I am enjoying reading everyone's comments ... and learning as well! Thank you all for sharing.

I hope everyone is thoroughly enjoying OTTI 19 OriginTea "Event of the Season!"
Chip
Mod/Admin

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions