Cycle commuting

Completely off the Topic of Tea

Cycle commuting

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 15th, '13, 14:00

Anyone else a cycle commuter? I took up the practice over a year ago and haven't looked back. At the time I lived 8 miles from work, but now I'm closer to 4. Enjoyable, got me back into being outside after being a basement dweller for more than a decade.

M.
MEversbergII

Cycle commuting

Postby debunix » Jul 15th, '13, 15:39

Lately I walk more than I bicycle because I'm so close to work. I love when I can not be in the car for days at a time.
debunix

Re: Cycle commuting

Postby Geekgirl » Jul 15th, '13, 17:19

Yep. 5.3 miles/6.2 miles. I take a different route home because of one big hill. Nice little commute.
Geekgirl

Postby hopeofdawn » Jul 15th, '13, 17:34

I bike commute, though mostly as an extension to my bus commute--I live 25 miles away from work. And I live on a long hill--so it takes me about 5 minutes to go down the 1/4 mile to the bus stop in the morning, and about 20 minutes to chug up it in the evening. Does that count? :roll:
hopeofdawn

Postby Chip » Jul 15th, '13, 18:40

I used to ... but it is quite hilly here which was OK for the ride home, but not so much so for the ride in. I would arrive soaking in sweat (I know, TMI).

It is great that due to some federal act that buses must now have bike racks.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby gingkoseto » Jul 15th, '13, 19:00

I live about 4 miles away from work. Theoretical driving time is 10 minutes. But it never happens. The fastest way of commute is always cycling (besides I can't afford the parking rate for a car at all :oops: )
But it's nice that most part of my commute is on a nice bike trail. Otherwise, probably by now I would have already been hit dead by some rude driver in Boston :shock:
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby gingkoseto » Jul 15th, '13, 19:02

And during winter days, it was too cold for me to bike. Then I had to take a bus. Usually if I saw a bus out of my office building, I would walk ahead to the direction of home. And usually 2-3 miles later the bus would catch up with me, and then I would board. :mrgreen:
gingkoseto
Vendor Member

Postby MIKE_B » Jul 15th, '13, 19:08

I wish I could! But I am a plumber. Towing tools and pipe and fittings down the highway would be kind of a pain.
I do cycle after work and on weekends for fitness.
MIKE_B

Postby Poohblah » Jul 15th, '13, 20:05

I do! All of 1 mile to work :D I would still bike to work even if I lived 15 miles away. Cycling is my 3rd favorite hobby after rock climbing and tea.
Poohblah

Postby Chip » Jul 15th, '13, 20:51

Poohblah wrote:I do! All of 1 mile to work :D I would still bike to work even if I lived 15 miles away. Cycling is my 3rd favorite hobby after rock climbing and tea.

COOL!

Hard to say, but cycling is a virtual tie with tea. Some local tea buds do a lot of rock climbing ... but I have never taken the ... plunge. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Teaism » Jul 15th, '13, 22:35

I bike commute not to work but for groceries and leisure around the parks and occasionally join the local rides to wheel suck the peloton.

I used to be a cycling fanatic, trained 6 days a week over 300 miles per week and joined a lot of local and regional amateur and semi pro races. But now age is catching up and I prefer a peaceful ride over my tea tray :D . I recalled drinking LJ or oolong or red tea early in the morning before training then was a real wake up booster.
Teaism

Postby 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 16th, '13, 15:19

I work from home but I do hall my son in my mt. bike to the store and back, returning laden with groceries. On windy days, given my son's weight, the groceries, and the "wind kite" nature of the trailer, if I grind, the ride can actually be a pretty intensive "training ride." :lol:

I love cycling. It used to be I was mt. biking in the foothills (especially nice in the Autumn with the first rains to calm the dust) twice a week (which really complimented my road riding since mt. biking is basically forced interval training) and road cycled 3-4 days a week...usually just 30 mile, 1.5 hour, out and back trips from my home, after my wife got off of work to watch our son, along Sacramento's bike trail that follows the American River. I've been hit once by a negligent car and lost one bike already so the bike trail is great, no cross traffic, good pavement, great scenery. It goes 36 miles in one direction to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range. To me, it's the gem of Sacramento.

Recently I'm focused on other tasks and pursuits and given the bike and myself a rest. In fact I've lent the bike to a friend whom is training on it for a race this month. But cycling is glorious.
茶藝-TeaArt08

Postby jayinhk » Jul 16th, '13, 18:48

I used to bike commute in NYC and took my bikes onto the Long Island Railroad and subway. I wish I could still get around by bike! The summer I went everywhere on a bike, I dropped 30 lbs in three months!
jayinhk

Postby Poohblah » Jul 16th, '13, 23:17

not commuting, but it's only tuesday and I have already ticked off 70 miles on the bike. I'm lucky if I get two or three hours of riding in most weeks, so this one is off to a good start.
Poohblah

Postby MEversbergII » Jul 17th, '13, 08:41

I believe many benefits could be reaped if people in general would drive less and bike more. My mentality is such that I always want to be within a 10 mile range from work, so I can bike. I'm not particularly swift (I think I average like 8MPH :/ ) but I do it anyways. I even have a slight handicap - Achilles tendons that are too short - and still I ride.

M.
MEversbergII

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions