Black Tea Healthier Then Green Tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jun 22nd, '13, 18:27

Black Tea Healthier Then Green Tea?

by healthyman » Jun 22nd, '13, 18:27

So I'm just wondering, after everything I've read about black and green tea, which one is healthier? I hear that black tea has more antioxidants...

Whats do you guys think?

Jun 26th, '13, 10:34

Re: Black Tea Healthier Then Green Tea?

by ACardAttack » Jun 26th, '13, 10:34

I think they both do different things, no one should limit themselves as they are both delicious! Black is better for waking up or pairing with a strong flavored food where green is best on its own or with something not as strong in flavor.

Jul 23rd, '13, 09:14

by donaldosborne » Jul 23rd, '13, 09:14

I drink Black Tea in the exchange of drinking coffee, it is helps me wake up.
I think it's not healthier than green tea, but is better than coffee :D

Aug 13th, '13, 05:26
Vendor Member

by LawrenceLai » Aug 13th, '13, 05:26

Actually, black tea helps me sleep. :D But I found that people in Yuchi (Sun Moon Lake, a famous black tea plantation area in Taiwan) looks younger than people who live in other tea region (green tea/ oolong)

Aug 14th, '13, 13:06

by MEversbergII » Aug 14th, '13, 13:06

Given that black tea is fully, or almost fully, oxidized, I don't think it'll have more antioxidants than very barely oxidized green tea.

M.

Aug 15th, '13, 11:07
Vendor Member

by LawrenceLai » Aug 15th, '13, 11:07

@MEversbergII
according to research, Thearubigins & Theaflavins in black tea have the same effect of Antioxidation as does Catechin in green tea...

Aug 15th, '13, 15:10

by MEversbergII » Aug 15th, '13, 15:10

Quite possibly. It's also worth noting that even the FDA has stopped supporting dietary antioxidants due to lack of supporting evidence.

M.

Aug 15th, '13, 21:07
Vendor Member

by LawrenceLai » Aug 15th, '13, 21:07

Yeah~I've read some related reportings as well. Basically, it's about better to take in antioxidants from fruits, vegetables .. natural food.. ect rather than from dietary supplement since there continue to be new discoveries on beneficial compounds in produce that have not previously been known, and therefore are not included in antioxidant dietary supplements. However, what's the relevance with the topic we are discussing? Please clarify...

Aug 15th, '13, 21:17

by MEversbergII » Aug 15th, '13, 21:17

It is tangential. The OP asked about quantity of antioxs. Ultimately it doesn't matter because they do nothing, so it's really not that important.

M.

Aug 15th, '13, 22:56
Vendor Member

by LawrenceLai » Aug 15th, '13, 22:56

Back to the tea issue... When businessmen want to sell you something, they will tell you how good it is for your health, like wine. But as for me, tea is not a medicine. All the beneficial for healthy is side effect.

Aug 20th, '13, 23:09

by chrl42 » Aug 20th, '13, 23:09

Black doesn't bother with stomach..except for that, green might win? :roll:

Aug 20th, '13, 23:44
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 20th, '13, 23:44

chrl42 wrote:Black doesn't bother with stomach..except for that, green might win? :roll:
That's what I feel too. I generally like green tea a lot better, but there are times when I didn't want to drink green tea but would like black tea or warm oolong.
Health benefits always depend on what one needs. If I were starving, I'm sure cheese and bacon would be much much healthier than any tea :mrgreen:

Aug 22nd, '13, 13:47

by MEversbergII » Aug 22nd, '13, 13:47

Of course, (real) cheese and bacon are pretty healthy anyways!

Now, what kind of tea pairs with bacon...

M.

Sep 29th, '13, 15:47

by AlexZorach » Sep 29th, '13, 15:47

This is a topic I've researched a fair amount.

I haven't found any direct studies comparing the health effects of green tea to black tea, or other types of tea. I have read some studies that compare the antioxidant activity of various types of tea, but these studies are of questionable methodology, and their conclusions are mixed anyway. Although green tea is often found to have higher antioxidant activity by certain measures, than black, this doesn't mean it's healthier--studies of the mechanisms by which tea influences health have questioned the idea that the antioxidant activity is responsible for the health benefits.

I think right now, we can just say "we don't know", but also that it's been established in general that tea, regardless of type, is healthy.

One thing I will say, the chemical composition of tea varies hugely between different grades and quality levels of tea--caffeine content, antioxidant content, all sort of other things. So...the quality of tea may be important. This doesn't necessarily mean that higher-quality tea is healthier, although I have an intuition that this may be the case (keep in mind higher-grade teas are also often higher in caffeine though).

It's complex...and in the end tea is just a drink. The health benefits of tea are always going to be small, compared to, say, the health benefits of regular exercise.

+ Post Reply